10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 21 May 10

Post by Brad » Tue May 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Fishing throughout Moreton Bay and surrounding waterways has been fairly good over the last week, with plenty of anglers finding opportunity to get out and enjoy the outdoors. The sunny days and periods of low wind have made it a pleasure to get the family out on the waters of our bay and surrounding estuaries.

Squid numbers have been awesome, with plenty of action from easily accessible shore based spots such as the marina and rock walls at Manly Harbour. I have managed a couple of trips there in the last week and caught some quality tiger squid from the front rock wall, Manly Point and even from the public jetty. Some of these squid have been absolute thumpers over 30cm in length and have made a tasty meal for us on several occasions. Most shallow reef and rocky areas have been worth a try so long as there is fairly clean water in the area. The upper reaches of the Rous Channel, Amity Rock Wall, Scarborough foreshore, Woody Point Jetty, most of the canals, and the shallow reef and weed bed areas around the bay islands have all been worth a try. A wide variety of squid jigs have been working with the smaller 2.5 and 3.0 sizes attracting the most hits for me during the week. The quality Japanese jigs definitely seem to attract more hits and last longer than the cheaper models.

Early last week I also did a trip to some wide grounds off Moreton Island aboard the Blackwatch 34 Estiva. We had a good day fishing plastics, baits, swing jigs and octo jigs managing a full bag of 30 large pearl perch, some to almost 5kg, for the six anglers aboard. In addition we caught three quality bar-cod and also a large cuttlefish around 15kg that made a tasty meal for us all when flash-fried that evening. Most offshore fishermen have returned home with good numbers of quality fish although snapper numbers have been down a little on recent years. Many anglers are venturing further offshore to harvest a feed of tasty fish these days. As a result of fishing depths between 120m and 400m, many have invested in electric reel and rod set-ups to alleviate the effort required in these depths. Species such as blue-eye trevalla, bar-cod and occasionally hapuka are exceptionally abundant at times in certain areas.

Trolling offshore is producing a few large wahoo and Spanish mackerel in areas such as Hutchies, The Group, Flinders Reef and close in to Cape Moreton. The blue marlin have been slow off the mark this year. Lets just hope that it is simply a delayed start to the run and not a slow season for these awesome sportsfish. An occasional striped marlin and larger black has saved the day at times for those trolling skirted lures on the wide grounds. Longtails have been very scarce at times in Moreton Bay but a degree of searching will usually allow you to find some action. The front of Bribie Island and around Gilligans Island has generally seen the most action but small schools can pop up anywhere. Mack tuna, frigates and bonito have relived the monotony of travel for those searching for longtails at times. These provide a lot of fun once hooked on lighter line.

Snapper numbers around the bay have been a little sporadic however there has generally been a few caught by anglers who persevere. Fishing plastics and soaking baits around the bay islands, artificial reefs, wrecks and prominent ledges have been worth the effort. Stealth has played an important part in the capture of many of the better quality specimens. The best snapper reported to me this week was a 6.5kg beauty taken on bait (pike fillet I think) from the South-West Rocks of Peel area at night. A few decent fish over 3kg have succumbed to soft plastics around the edges of the reefy areas skirting the bay islands. Other species encountered on the plastics include grass sweetlip, trevally, tailor, school mackerel, morwong, tuskfish and bream.

There has been a few yellowtail kingfish, trevally, tailor and cod caught at night from amongst the pylons and jetties at Dunwich. Most anglers have been using poppers, stick-baits and soft plastics to achieve hookups. A few prawns are still being caught by anglers cast-netting in the Brisbane River and others systems. The mouth of the Logan River has been the best spot to try with anglers managing several kilos of succulent prawns for a few hours of cast-netting. Boaties should be aware of new regulations that came into force recently regarding your allround white light. These now have to be a metre higher than anything in your boat (including you) that is obstructed by six degrees of vision. This has made most boats illegal and several fines of $200 have been issued, especially to anglers in the Brisbane River. Might be a good idea to check out these latest rules and ensure that you are within the regulations to avoid being fined. Most anglers are unaware of these changes, including me until recently, as they have not been publicized adequately.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.

kercus

Re: Weekly Report 21 May 10

Post by kercus » Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

Brad,

Could you please provide a link to the new regulations re allround white light.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Kerry

kercus

Post by kercus » Thu May 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Brad,

Could you please provide a link to the new regulations re allround white light.

Thank you.

Cheers,

Kerry

BarramundiKid

Post by BarramundiKid » Wed May 26, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi All,
I've noted questions regarding the "all round white light" or anchor light.
The following link may assist in explanating:
http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqfi ... lights.pdf

In Summary:
. The anchor light needs to have 360Deg view across the horizon .. or at most 6Deg of arc of obstruction.
. Needs to be at least 1m above side lights lights .. or front deck.
. needs to be positioned so that it is not in your face (ie has some height).
. if there is some obstruction with cabin etc .. it is permissable to have a combination anchor light and stern light to achieve the 360deg visibility.

Regards
BarramundiKid
"
Welcome to the Hotel Barramundi
You can fish anywhere you like
But you can never retrieve
"

bkilvo

secret spots

Post by bkilvo » Wed May 26, 2010 11:40 pm

I have heard people talk about this spot called the sink hole and some cave like structure within it , does it exist or am I just scaning around the bay wasting fuel ? I found a fairly substantial dropoff type ledge about 1.5 nm east of the passage between st hellena and mud but failed to find fish . is it worth looking for ? The bay is full of secret spots I know , and I have a few favorites of my own , but this sink hole has me very curious.