10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 4 Sep 10

Post by Brad » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:09 am

News from anglers fishing in Moreton Bay indicate that a few decent snapper have been caught over the last week or so. Those fishing around the bay islands and out deeper at the artificial reefs and wrecks have managed several quality fish for a session at times. Moreton Bay snapper anglers have had a fairly ordinary winter so far with minimal action for those making the effort. Snapper have been conspicuous by their absence at times and anglers have struggled to get a bag limit of legal snapper during most trips. This late run of better quality fish is a welcome relief for most. Although there are not huge numbers of fish around, as we have come to expect over recent years, there has finally been some quality specimens caught over the last fortnight. Best fish reported was a 7.7kg snapper caught on an unweighted whole fresh squid from some undisclosed location near Peel Island.

Anglers fishing around Mud have also produced some nice fish to a little over 5kg, which are quality snapper in anyone’s books. Soft plastics have produced the best results throughout the day, however quality baits have been a great option during the darkened hours. As per usual, those making the effort to find isolated patches of ground away from the crowds have produced the better fish around the bay islands. The artificial reefs (Curtin and Harry Atkinson) have been a good option throughout the day for the bait fishers and plastics aficionados alike. Those who have an intimate knowledge of their sounders have managed to locate and target small patches of fish. A couple of smaller yellowtail kingfish have also been caught at Harries on soft plastics and a few bite offs have indicated the presence of mackerel, probably schoolies, which are starting to increase in number. Sweetlip, morwong, trevally, tailor, bream, tuskfish and several other species have also been caught by anglers targeting snapper.

I did a trip to my cobia spot in the northern bay last Tuesday, which was an absolute cracker day weather-wise. Managed to hook a good fish after having a large whiptail in the water for less than ten minutes. Almost fifty minutes later the fish could still not be pried to the surface on 15kg monofilament and I was starting to wonder just what I had hooked. The first half an hour or so indicated a big cobia but then the fight slowed a lot and I was second-guessing myself. I still don’t know what it was because the ratchet spring blew out and then the spool locked up and I broke it off. Doh!!!! Did you hear me swearing? I didn’t get any more hookups but stopped at a bank on the way home and trolled up a nice school mackerel for a feed.

The estuaries are still fishing well at the moment with flathead being the main species caught by anglers casting lures and fishing baits. Reasinable numbers of quality whiting have also been caught. A few mangrove jacks have been reported already by anglers fishing live baits. Coming weeks will see water temperatures increasing and jack action will improve with more fish being caught on lures cast around structure such as rock walls, bridge pylons and mangroves. Small minnow lures will usually produce good results however plastics, blades and reaction baits will also work. Some situations will see smashing strikes on surface lures such as poppers and stickbaits, however warmer water temperatures will generally be required. Those hot, humid summer afternoons are ideal for this pursuit.

The Brisbane River has also produced a few good fish over the last week or so. Snapper, estuary cod, threadfin, mulloway, bream and flathead have been caught. The lower reaches have fished best during the daylight hours however night time sessions casting lures around the lighted areas of bridges and other structures further up the river has produced some awesome threadfin and occasional mulloway. Crabbing should start to improve in the coming weeks as water temperatures rise so now might be a good time to ensure that all your crabbing apparatus is still legal and in good repair.
May your bait be nervous. Gordon Macdonald.