Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Sat 11th Feb 06

Post by Brad » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:26 am

11/2/06
Not much to report this week on the local front, as I have been in Townsville and Lucinda for the last week to do a bit of fishing.

I fished Mud Island the day after I got back (Friday 10th) but we only managed a few snapper to 40cm and an estuary cod.

An occasional school of spotties have been located in the bay but the pickings have been a little light on for most anglers. Drifting pillies around prominent areas, such as current lines and beacons, will put you in with a good chance.

A few small cobia to 15kg have been caught in recent weeks but the big fish are yet to show up. Very few fish over 30kg have been reported to me this season, however some of those which have been are definitely not as heavy as reported. I think a lot of anglers get pounds and kilograms confused or have unreliable scales as some fish reported as 40kg barely look to be 40lbs.

The reefs, ledges and rubble grounds in the northern bay are still producing a few nice snapper on soft plastics but at this time of the year it can be a lucky dip. Mackerel, tuna and bonito will often nail your offering on the way down and cobia, trevally and sharks can pick up a plastic close to the bottom.

The mouth of the Brisbane River is still producing a few good quality snapper and school jew for anglers jigging plastics in the early mornings and at night.

Plenty of sharks have been caught around the bay islands on whole fish baits floated out into the current while drifting. A tuna oil berley trail is a big benefit as is berleying with cut pillies or other fish scraps.

Travelling around the bay can sometimes be rewarding if you are looking for a few pelagics as schools of tuna, bonito and mackerel have been sporadically popping up all over the place. The front of Bribie is one good place to try.

May your bait be nervous.

Gordon Macdonald
Tackle Warehouse
Ph. 07 33986500
masterbaitertackle@hotmail.com