Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Thur 2nd Mar 06

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:22 pm

2/3/06
After hearing a weather report of 10-15 knots SE to NE for last Monday, I decided to venture out to Western Rocks to have a crack at another cobia. I left from Scarborough around 5am and found the trip across the bay to be quite reasonable. The closer I got to Moreton the better the conditions got and the more schools of feeding pelagics I saw. The first school I targeted was mainly small frigate tuna which I wanted for baits. The cast just hit the water when a longtail engulfed it before I had even flicked over the bail arm. About 40 minutes later I landed a longtail of around 13kg on 6kg mono, which I released. I headed towards Western Rocks passing several schools of predominately mack tuna, on the way. The first bait in the water (a whiptail) was eaten by a small cobia, which would have struggled to make 5kg. I released him in hope of better fish to come but did not get another run for the next hour and a half. A few rain squalls and strong winds saw me take off on the change of the tide and head back inside the bay. Here I caught around six mack tuna to around 3kg before heading home due to intensifying winds. It was a slow trip back with winds gusting to over twenty knots and seas over 1m in many areas. One day the weather bureau will get it right.

There have been tuna working the surface in the shipping channels between the Four Beacons and Comboyuro as well as the western banks in from this channel. A few school and spotted mackerel have been reported from around the Pearl Channel area.

A few decent snapper have been caught from around the islands but many anglers have found the going a little slow.

The mouth of the Brisbane River has fished well for anglers with soft plastics. Snapper, bream, flathead, estuary cod and a few school jew and trevally have been caught. The bases of the pylons leading out from the river are also worth trying when the conditions allow.

The prawns have been thick, with anglers getting good numbers of banana prawns in the deeper holes in most creeks and rivers. Land-based spots such as the Woody Point Jetty, Hornibrook Bridge and Deepwater Bend have been well patronized.

The Pumicestone Passage has produced decent whiting and flathead lately for anglers who know it well. The mouth of Elimbah Creek has been one of the better areas to troll small lures or cast plastics for flathead. Live yabbies cast along the edge of the bank on a falling tide will definitely catch you a few. The area up around the W’s is also worth a troll.

Peel Island has been a little hit and miss but Coochiemudlo Island has produced a few decent sweetlip and snapper for anglers fishing along the north-eastern side. Both baits and plastics have been working.

May your bait be nervous.

Gordon Macdonald
Tackle Warehouse
Ph. 07 33986500
masterbaitertackle@hotmail.com