10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 17 Jun 13

Post by Brad » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi all, not much fishing done these last two weeks decided to catch instead influenza B..and next week of to Calgary to fish the bow river for some monster brown and rainbow trout. I will keep you as informed as I can from fisherman friends in the bay while away. I thought I would specify exactly where to catch some good whiting for our friend Glen between the chain banks and the Maroom Bank is the passage for small ships, this passage goes all the way and meets up with the Rous Channel between the start of this channel and the point where the Rous Channel meet is probably fishing the best its ever fished for years, and its been fishing well for the last 10 years with fantastic quality whiting.

Sometimes they are hard to find and you hear stories that they are gone or the netters have gone thru, I think its a alot of poppy cock; do 100,000 whiting all decide to leave at the same time?? not likely..but you need to have the right bait and the least hardware on the line the better and a little ball sinker with a trace around 8 inches with the hook about 2 to 3 inches above the sinker. Fish as light as you are comfortable fishing with pretty silly to fish with 4 lb line and have to re-rig 20 times in a session. I always use torture green line for all bay fishing and 8 to 10 lb for whiting.

Bait, I have seen and heard some doozies why the fish are not biting (someone two weeks ago was using oxheart)... if you want to catch whiting every time you need live blood worms and prawns, after that you can use strips of squid cooked prawns cured beach worms but the two best are blood worms and green prawns..9 times out of there are local fisherman fishing for whiting in this channel sometimes on the chain bank side and sometimes on the Marrom side go past slowly and look to see what's happening most fisherman are like me they don't have a problem sharing an area, also depth, most time with an outgoing tide they are in deeper water and with an incoming I find they move into the shallow water. One thing is they are always feeding better with a run in the tide and a pretty steady drift, and when you find them drop the pick and by that time you should have caught your limit.
Good fishing,
Spero

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 17 Jun 13

Post by sperok » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:11 pm

forgot to mention one more thing,does not work always but if there are dugongs feeding in an area the chances a pretty good whitting are feeding on all the little suckers the dugongs are disturbing while eating sea grasses..be careful in the area where the dugong are dont drive at 5o miles an hour to get back to the drift mark go slowly sometimes the heard in this area can be 30 to 40, but most time 10 to 12 is what we see....
good fishing
spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 am

no luck for the greek..ended up in hospital ,missed on going to calgary and now calgary has had the worst flood in 100 years and the whole city has been evacuated...so much for catching big browns and rainbow trout people are finding them in there gardens..
lets hope all is good for the following week or two..friends have told me lots of squire and tailor on eastern side of green island mid to late afternoon...good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:18 am

hito all
currently in downtown calgary still waiting for the bow river to drop and clear to get a days fishing in after the worst floods in 100 years...but a funny thing happened a day ago which shows local knoledge is priceless..a friend living in calagry decide to take me to summit lake for a fish 3 hours from calgary ..informed me there were big rainbow trout and cutthroat ..we arrived with boat intow to see am old fisherman hook onto a wonderful rainbow of about 6lb which we helped him land with our net..he thanked us and informed us lots of fish in the lake and big,he saw our rods with all sort of minnows and spoons that we normally catch lots of fish in the river.to cut a long story short after casting for 5 hours and only hooking two small rainbows evertime we looked back this old fisherman had another monster fish.we decide we had enough and headed back to ramp for him to show us 4 of the best looking rainbow trout i have ever seen and informed us that fish in this lake dont take spinnners but flys dragged on the bottom..pitty he did not tellus 5 hours earlier..so infuture sit a awhile and look and ask questions before getting only a fraction of knoledge and thinking you know all..good fishing ,back next week to see our beautiful moreton bay...spero