10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 26 Aug 13

Post by Brad » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:52 am

Well I'm back from hospital after starting the road to becoming a thin person after years of obesity and doing ok. The weather is looking great for the week coming with low tides in the afternoons and light winds (according to the knowledgeable weather folks), so sharpen the hooks (have never actually sharpened a hook in 50 years) they always feel sharp to me and lets look for some nice table fish. We are off midweek to start with whiting for eating and bait followed by either mud or lazzarette (very disappointing last time)and a couple of good friends told me they have been cleaning up early morning at Wellington Point on the drop off for squire. After that we can look for some schoolies and whales up towards shark spit. So looking at the last ten years or so mud seems a good place this time of year for squire as does Green Island so plenty of choices this coming week, and dont forget fresh baits and big baits get big fish.
Good fishing Spero

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 26 Aug 13

Post by sperok » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 am

sunday and monday both good days fishing for whiting,sandhills on sunday with the grandkids and they had a ball plenty of whiting and a run up the small sandhill (i just watched)..they tell me tempura whiting tasted pretty good...monday another great day on the bay we decide a short trip to small ship passage and we were suprised at the size of the whiting ,about half a dozen were monsters have not seen this size for a long time,seems to be better on the last of the run in then eaarlier in the day and prawns worked better then worms ,hard to believe ...so day of rest today (tuesday this old man turns 60) and then with a bait fridge full of whiting frames wensday thursday look ideal for some nice squire. mud i think looks ideal ...good fishing spero

stucoo

Post by stucoo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:52 am

happy birthday spero & good luck at mud

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 am

nice couple of days on the bay did not end up fishing mud as the northeasterly came up so we decided to look for some schoolies front of the lazzarete and north east of peel but no a scale to be seen ,next was a drift for some squid an hour over the banks and only one nice tiger came to see but yours truly stuffed it up i was seeing him in the fry pan and forgot that here is no barbs on the squid jig..so of we went to the lazzarete for a squire session got 5 nice squire but nothing great the small bream were cleaning our bait so quick went thru 50 whiting heads 6.30pm arrived the the fish called it a night so the lights went on the hand spear handy and we waited for the squid we were not dissapointed school of about 10 arrows arrived so we got 9 in the boat and everyone was salavating on salt and pepper sqid the next day for lunch ...had our mince on toast for dinner and woke up for another session of squire fishing managed another 4 around the 40 to 45 cm .cleaned up and went for a short whiting session at the rous not thick caught 40 and cooked our salt and pepper squid and the three mates came home ...day to clean the boat set up for grandsons birthday cut the grass while the wind is blowing and waite for the nice days to come again....good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:13 am

friday was a wonderful day on the bay .decided we were in need of a few whiting as bomber bill and new friend kit(father named him after the phantom) and the whiting master and i took off to catch a few,no boats at the small ships passage but 14 boats at the rous so we decided on the rous ,well apart of one boat on anchor that was catching two at atime with his wife every other boat was picking there noses, i have a feeling the boat catching one after another had a berly bucket on his anchor but no sure ,whatever it was it was working a treat..so after listening to bomber bills commentary they caucht another one every 10 seconds i left and went over to my favourite patch at the small ship passage and we managed a nice 89 whiting enough for the boys to take home and feed the starving masses..one thing i have to say we learnt from kit how to catch whiting and do yoga at the same time,he seemed to be able to catch a whiting and do the salute to the sun movemment at the same time (lucky we have a softtop on the old cruiser other wise we would have had 10 broken whiting rods) all in all agreat day.we were going out for the week end but did not like the 15 to 20 afternoon forcast so we will waite till next week..good fishing spero