10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 13 Sep 13

Post by Brad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Nice day on Thursday we decided it was going to be good for an overnight squire session just did not know where. We needed some fresh bait so off for some whiting and a few pike(excellent snapper bait),did not go to the Rous stayed at the entrance of the small ship channel. The fish were not thick but picked up 40 or so between the two of us (the whiting master and I). Then it was time to make a decision where to fish for squire mud was my preference but the 15 knot n/e changed my mind so we decide to look at Bird and Goat Island. To my utter surprise, going past lazaret it was blowing 15 n/e at Bird and Goat it was blowing 15 kn s/e,so know I was totally confused but at least we made the right choice and picked Lazaret as the wind swung around to the e/s/e so it was good with the outgoing tide.

The good news the squire fishing was hot..we caught our eight and then we caught and released, the interesting catch of the late afternoon was a big horrible stone fish which took a whole whiting head. I am convinced apart from toads these fish are the ugliest creatures on the planet. We called it quits for the night at about 7pm and put the light on for some squid but the only ones that turned up were 2 inches long. We got up in the morning and had a hours fishing with another 3 good squire, so we decided time to head home as the south easily started to blow harder then we thought, so we will wait for the next couple of fine days to do it all again, A little rain will help the whiting and the water is warming nicely for the spotties I hope in the months ahead..
Good fishing Spero
Attachments
spero2.JPG
spero 1.JPG
spero.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 13 Sep 13

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:04 pm

While sitting on the boat on this beautiful summers day waiting for the wind to drop and cleaning and polishing rods and reels and seeing which runners need some work done or replaced ,it hit me a question i have never been able to answer..what the hell is the anti reverse lever on the spinning reels that let the handle on the reel go in an anticlock direction used for ???? i have never used it in 55 years of fishing ,and have never read a story on someone using it...if anyone has an answer please let me know..its one of my bucket list of things i need to know...theres many more i will ask when i remmember them...hopefully wensday and friday look good according to the weather gods...good fising spero
sperok@ozemail.com.au

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:22 pm

i recieved an answer re the antireverse lever from daiwa within a day of asking and would like to say thank you ..and must say i should have said not all reels have them as daiwa has reels that dont have the antireverse lever...so this was the answer
"Traditionally both Japanese and American anglers use the feature when rock fishing and when trolling (letting line out behind the boat) in freshwater.." end of quote.
i personally dont understand it, and can only say i am glad the japanese and americans use them as i would hate to see what happens to ones fingers if a decent fish runs while it is spinning anti reverse....maybe they only catch little fish....

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 am

hi all i have one more answer from shimano in the states and promise no more questions about the silly antireverse lever...here is shimanos response "That is a very good question and one for which I have no answer.Some people in the southern U.S. still use the old technique called "back reeling".so lets all write to our reel makers and ask them to make all reels witout them....
now back to fishing looks like a great week comming up weather wise (according to weather folk) good to take the grandchildren out for a few days for a swim and a fish...good fishing spero