10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 24 Sep 13

Post by Brad » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:14 pm

What a strange day it started this morning at home, it was blowing n/w (we live 2kl) from the boat at the at east coast marina. It was blowing s/w and on the other side of green whitecaps and s/e I am glad the s/e finally eased up after that cloud bank. We went through and turned into a lovely day. We thought a quick trip out catch 40 whiting and came home,wishful thinking, we fished all the spots all the way to the start of the reds at the end of rous and managed in 4 hours 30 fish. I don't know why, the weather and tides looked great. An old gentleman fishing with his wife told me this is the worst month for whiting, but I am sure we were catching lots at the start of the month so we will wait for another nice day and see, maybe end of week.

I have to tell you all a funny thing happened today, here we are the whiting master and myself fishing for whiting and there is something odd in the water about 150 feet away. A boat from the other direction sees this as well goes over does a circle and leaves. I keep looking over and now I am convinced its a turtle wrapped in a crab pot and I start cursing at this boat that did not help, so over we go all the way thinking how are we going to do this from the old cruiser as I can't reach like in the past to cut the rope and all this while cursing the boat that did not stop to help. Well, we get there and to my utter surprise here are two turtles making out (never seen this before), in the bay so we turned quickly and let them have their fun,,so my apologies to the guys that did not stop. Another great day on our Moreton Bay
Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 24 Sep 13

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:52 pm

we might as well tell some funny stories while the wind is blowing,this is from the friend i fish with in calgary canada every year...
he wrote to me saying "This is what you should put on your blog."

Honest fisherman Bret Walters was fishing off the coast of Vancouver Island in sept for Coho with a new rod and reel his good friend Spero gave him this summer. Nice rod and reel, perfect for salmon. 9wt Sage, Loop reel, cast really well. Bret hooks into a monster Coho, 20lbs (av is about 7) and the battle is on and then oh shit! As the fish makes a run the handle off the reel falls off, good thing Bret wasn’t standing in the water and his wife was standing close by and helped to get it sort of back on the reel. Mean while the 25lb Coho had been making massive runs and everytime it did the handle kept coming loose and close to falling off everytime. Just as Bret thought he was going to land this 30lb Coho it made one last run and just as Bret thought he could beach it the hook came out. Some thoughts as to why

#1 Spero having given fly fishing away forgot to maintain the reel, never mind the fact that the line was on the wrong way to start with and more than likely had never turned in the proper direction ever.

#2 Spero knew you could only get so many turns out of the reel before the handle fell off, which he cleverly planned , kinda like cutting your line 50ft into it on the spool so when your friend casts the lure dissapears into the blue yonder....

ps..spero says maybe bret has not caught a fish that big for so long he has forgotten how to catch them....maybe he should visit australia soon to see what big fish look like.....

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 am

well the wind has arrived and cleaning rods and reels,polishing the boat to be ready for the next fine patch of weather,i read with interest where its been suggested there are spotties feeding deep in the rainbow channel.well i dont know what to say ,the water temp is 69 degrees and its september....so either the global warming has changed everything or they are schoolies (which also have spots) and normally 99 times out of 100 feed deep ....but first sign of good weather and i will be putting the paravane in the water to see if they are still there..couple of friends went out yeaterday and tell me the whiting were slow but managed around 50 and fished wellington drop off late afternoon and caught a couple of nice squire on mullet flesh....good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:32 am

we managed a good day monday in between the wind ,some nice whiting deep into the rouse channel they were not thick but managed 50 in a couple of hours. a good friend passed on there lots of school mackerel shark spit.so next good day will need to get there for a feed.good fishing spero