10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 26 Nov 13

Post by Brad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Finally the storms stopped and the weather went to perfect light s/e and a perfect outgoing tide for the lazarete, so off we went to peel. We anchored up first bait a lovely 45 cm squire, I thought this is the dayout of the blue a mum and baby dolphin turn up and start going around the boat my wife is ecstatic and tells me how wonderful the baby and mum are. Meanwhile I hook another lovely fish and half way thru the fight big tug and nothing I figure it spat the hook, couple of curse words and as I am bringing the line in.

The mother dolphin swims up with my 45 cm squire in here mouth, my wife thinks its great and every curse word that I know comes out and it also stopped all action. I have never seen this before with squire have seen it with schoolies and spotties. I actually always thought they were sharks but my old friend steve mackie always told me they were dolphins and he was correct, so of we went to put the 2 trusty pots in deep into the lazzarete and a good feed of squire and a sleep. Well next morning out comes the pot and its my first ever muddy I was over the moon, now I know why the pros have the odd pot deep into the mud.

We trolled next morning for some schoolies managed two under size so we called it quits and put the pots out wide and when back to lazzarete for another go two more nice fish and thank heavens no dolphins, funny thing I was using a double hook rig with hooks an inch apart and managed two small squire on the same bait another first for me..next morning of we go to check the pots and I have 4 lovely sand crabs , moreton bay is fantastic. We went home for a night and back out tomorrow for a run north to see if any spotties have decided to have a look as the water is 74 degrees ..will let you know good fishing Spero
Attachments
IMG_0071_1018.jpg
IMAG0162.jpg
IMAG0167.jpg
IMAG0164.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 26 Nov 13

Post by sperok » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:57 pm

did not get out over the week end ,so did not get a chance to look for spotties but a friend tells me lots of small undersize schoolies up at sharkspit, same as down towards peel so we have to waite for a nice dead calm day to have a look,all signs are there warmer water ,mutton birds ,bonitto and lots of bait on the surface and deep ,just have to keep looking.... thursday looks like a fine day to get out and catch a few whiting around the small ships passage and the top part of the rous, lets hope its a lovely calm day ...good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Thursday started with a little S/W and then flat calm till 10.30 when the NNE arrived around the 12 knots..
the whiting were thick between the artificial reef and the entrance to the rouse and a really nice size ,my wife and i picked up 60 in an hour and a half so we decided to troll a couple of spoons in front of the green tringle beacon which marks the start of the chain banks we caught 3 schoolies two around 55 cm and one under so i would suggest floating a couple of pillies or a troll or even throwing a slug on the bank and retrieving into the deeper water,they were all along the bank from the green marker to the artificial reef..so that was our day,lots of fun and some nice fish ......good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:21 pm

today wensday the 4th turned out to a very nice day my best mate the whiting master got back from the love boat cruise with his better half and sounds like they had a blast..he wants bow thrusters and and stable arms put on the old cruiser,,he thinks its a luxury ship...anyway out we went to the same spot to catch some whiting between harry atkinson and the markers to the start of the rous and we were not dissapointed .good quality whiting and lots of them..they stopped when the tide turned but started again soon after..i decided to put the two old faithful crab pots in the same area ,what a mistake after an hour i noticed one float about 300 yds to where i had put it so we decided to go and get them..the float with the rope only on one and the other pot had a 3 foot hole in the netting and the wire base bent all over ,i dont know what size shark but it was not small..so after all these years i have to buy two new pots, and never put them in that area again,the pros know best i have never seen a pro crab pot in this area..we also trolled for a while but no shoolies at all, lots of bait deep..interesting the water temp has dropped a couple of degrees in the last week so we ended with an eventful day and a nice feed of fresh fish..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 am

great 3 days on the bay ...the weather was fantastic we decided to go to the blue hole and i had forgoten how wonderful it was in there..turtles,shovel nose sharks and fish everywhere..caught some really big whiting and some lovely tiger squid(squid ink pasta tonight my favourite) and that was it for the fishing relaxed went thru the channel towards days gutter for a look at the oyster leases, and a nice swim in the sand holes in the channel truly a magic place for anyone who wants a really great place to overnight and catch some fish this is a fantastic area especially with any wind with an east in it... good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:42 pm

just a quick note there are lots of whiting entrance of the rous . between the artificial reef and the red at the entrance of the rous. they are in about 11 to 13 ft and much better on the run out tide....good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:44 am

hi everyone just confirmed lots of mackerel in front of tangalooma .comming up around 4 pm chopping all over the place even getting caught of the beach...i have been told by a couple of sources they are spotties,the concern i have they are only around 50 cm which does not make much sense but i am going over tommorow to see for myself..so if they are this is the same time as last year on the beach at tangalooma...so get over there and catch some..have asked for a photo so will confirm one way or another late today or tommorow..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:27 pm

merry xmas to you all and a happy new year good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 pm

wishing everyone a happy new year..fishing has been pretty good for spotties around the beacons and in the channels from tangalooma to redcliffe, an hour or so either way of the tide seems the best.any slugs cast and retrieved will catch you fish when they are feeding on the surface,you will get 10 fold more fish without wire trace in the bay ,you will loose a few lures but if you buy the cheapies its no big deal..watertower bait have some for 3 dollars rigged..also squire are bitting well around green and peel and have had some reports from mud as well.and our favourite whitting are thick small ships passage.rous and the area of the sandhills and the blue hole...so catch lots and good fishing spero