10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 13 Feb 14

Post by Brad » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:44 pm

What a wonderful few days again on our fantastic Moreton Bay. The weather was great the spotties are thick big whiting at the Rous and tiger squid at the Rous as well what more can anyone want if you like fishing. A few things to note they are back to feeding on whitebait which is normal with a few still bait balling small pillies. They are in a line southern tip of Mud to the Sandhills, interesting they were in the deep water today in around 100 to 70 feet I think this is because of the tides at the moment and will get back into the normal range soon enough, not that it matters they are staying up very well and not to skittish if you don't get to close.

We caught our quota in minutes and then released as many, it makes it easy to release them with single hooks and you don't harm them. The whiting master and bomber Dave as you can see had a great day catching as many as we wanted and loosing just as many. We managed to loose a 500 dollar outfit over the side as a couple of big spotties smashed the paravanes and both stainless rod holders fell apart, (not very happy) so moral of the story check drags on the reels and have a lanyard attached....2nd big loss in 40 years what can you do? .

Its Thursday and the boys could not make it so my wife came along and it turned out the better day as we caught our 10 (all our neighbors and friends are having fresh mackerel tonight) and lost a few to some really big tiger sharks and a few smaller bull sharks mixed in a few bronze whalers . So no swimming where the mackerel are at the moment. Dead calm day temperature of the water is perfect at 76 degrees, big schools everywhere even 2 miles of mud in 40 foot of water they were chasing everything in the morning and then went quite but you could see them swimming around ..so lots of fun.

interesting today they were feeding on frogmouths, yesterday was whitebait and earlier was razor pillies looks like they are hungry and will eat everything they can school up, for fun yesterday we put a live whiting in the middle of a school and they looked at it like it was poison. So try and get out there and catch some ,they taste great.
Good fishing Spero
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
IMG_0082_1077.JPG
IMG_0087_1082.JPG
IMG_0091_1086.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 13 Feb 14

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:28 pm

just thought i would mention a detail i may or may not have passed on about mackerel schools because i have had a few emails about how the schools scatter when you get close to them, 9 times out of ten bonnito and tuna scatter , mackerel on the other hand unless you run thru the school at a million miles an hour just stop feeding and swim away and most time quite calmly,so just because you get there and the school has stop feeding still have a flick and keep a sharp eye as you will see them swimming looking for the baitball they just lost,and as they tend to circle looking for the bait, look around your boat as the bait is hiding sometimes very close to you and the mackerel are not far away..on more thing i will remind everyone because i had an email saying when i suggested the turns looked like doing the backstroke above the baitball that mackerel are feeding on they thought i was a mad till they actually took notice and laughed because they realised thats what it looks like...i mentioned in passing about the big whiting and squid the other day but forgot to tell you where , the yellow go slow across from fisherman gutter at the rouse channel.....good fishing when the wind drops
spero

Jase

Post by Jase » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi mate, has there been any action with the long tail tuna? How found heaps of schools of spot ties but not one of tuna? Any secrets to finding / catching them? Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers Jase

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:38 am

i know i saw it but lost it .there was a question re where are the long tail tuna,i have not seen many this year but normaly they are more towards tangalooma and wide towards redcliffe especially pearl channel and the shipping channels.i did find some about 3 weeks ago close in to the sandhills but they were scattering as soon as you got close.with the ammount of spotties in the bay they may be finding hard to get a feed ..i would look towards the deep water between the sandhills and the beacons and on the north western tip of mud..hopefully middle and end of week we can get out and find some ..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:50 pm

i found the question,catching them is hit and miss there are times they hit the slugs first go and other times i can cast 50 times in a middle of a school and they wont look at it so its hard i fish for them the same as spotties no wire bit a double or a heavier leader,and also the other way we have caught a few is on the go slow at shark spit where it drops from 7 ft to 50 feet on the outgoing tide we anchor up on the shallow and drop back pillies and we burley as much as possible..hope it helps a little
good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:44 pm

two great days on the bay left wensday to look for mackerel and all we found were thousands of long tail,fatboys,and bonnito as far as the eyes could see,especially in front of the sandhills .so for all who would like some fun chasing them its a perfect time...we managed 3 spotties and 4 schoolies .and only saw two mackerel schools up and feeding .went into the blue hole for the night and managed some very nice whiting and a couple of squid..thursday morning not a breath of air and for the whole trip back to the small ships channel did not see a mackerel school ,so we fished for whiting just of the first yellow in the small ship channel and the boys cleaned up with a nice bag of ecxellent quality whiting..i am pretty sure the mackerel are still in just that the tuna a breaking up every bait ball they can get to ,next good weather patch of good days they will be up and feeding,so four mates had some great fishing and good laughs and came home happy happy happy..godd fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:14 am

sunday morning and reading the oppinions of some people re the green zones and closures sometimes make me laugh,and get me angry at the same time..i dont know much outside the area where i fish which is a traingle between manly ,mud island ,cape moreton down to peel so i can only have an say for this area.but when the goverment did this and we went to the meeting for them to explain why i left feeling like they had no idea why they did it except to say it was to sustain the fish stocks,which i found ammusing.eg.st helena a green zone why? apart from crabbers(who crad outside the zone anyway) and a few boaties fishing when its blowing a gale hardly anybody fished the place so this became a green zone to protect the area hardly anyone fished at, the area south of the sandhills when i asked why this square patch of area and not a patch next to it i was told it was what they found in the mud,hard to believe an area 50 feet left or right is different .and as for some comments re proffesional fisherman overfishing the bay its a joke,compared years gone by they are like hens teeth apart from the crabbers a couple of net fisherman fishing the shallows and a handfull of trawlers ...in my oppinion life and fishing has changed for most of us we dont catch stupid ammounts like we used to and i do agree with limmits placed on fish,dont agree with sizes .and it would be great if comments were taken at a boatramp from people who actually fish ..
now i am going to have a piece of bacon and half a toast and waite for the wind to stop ..so i can go and catch a nice fish to eat..good fishing
spero