10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 18 Apr 14

Post by Brad » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Weather looks amazing and the fishing should be great. The whiting are plentiful but not great quality in the small ship passage and the tiger squid are very big some are a kilo plus, also worth having a floating pilly at the back for the mackerel cruising in the area. There have been schoolies and spotties on the bottom at Harrys artificial reef, pillies about 10 to 15 ft of the bottom and lots of broad mackerel and schoolies and some spaniards in the deep water in front of the lazzarete on Paravains with some being caught drifting with pillies. Also when chasing mackerel in this area and a using metal slugs let them sink about 20 ft under the bonito and chopper tailor before you start to retrieve as we have found the mackerel under them many times. The tides look great for the lazzarette and around the hanlon light for squire with low tides at the end of the day, don't forget big baits for big fish. So to all have a great easter and good fishing, and be careful there, Easter tends to bring out once a year boaties. Spero

sperok
Reporter

Re: Weekly Report 18 Apr 14

Post by sperok » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:18 am

well easter on moreton bay with this weather is probably the best place in the world you could be at..i dont remember this long a period of unbelievable calm days (can we have more please).and the fishing was really pretty good when you consider how many boats jet skis and sailboats out there,we managed some nice broad and school mackerel in front of the lazzarette which the grandkids had lots of fun watching the rods bouncing and then screaming FISH ON when the fish hit and the paravains went to the surface,the squire were ok on friday night but lots of dolphins scarrying them to death so the bite came on and off..and my endeavour to catch a crab resulted in one keeper(i hate crabbing )...so overall it was pretty good..heard some good reports of school and spotties at the measured mile beacon all the way back to the mouth of the river ,going over tommorow to see for my self .
so enjoy the weather out there and watch out for the one that only use the boat once a year it gets pretty scarry,,and to the guy and gal on the jet ski flying thru horshoe bay and the guy towing a floating tube thru the the 200 plus boats that were there (even a float plane landed) you both need to go and see if you can replace your brains..where are the water police when you need them..oh yeh they were handing out $200 plus fines for expired flares<(but thanks for only a warning as they were a month out of date)..a thought for all,, when is the last time in the last 40 years have you seen a flare been used or heard of been used in the southern part of moreton bay?and why do they have such a short expiry date ?but a still ok for an extra few years? anyway to nice on the water to ask these question good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 am

a mate took a trip to the measured mile beacon yesterday and a boat anchored up was catching plenty of schoolies on small pilies.i am pretty sure if you paravained around the beacon you would pickup more then a few mackerel.plenty of whiting and great quality in the small ship channel ,but very quite in front of the lazzarette ,had a fish for some squire on the way home on tuesday afternoon in my old favourite place green island but nothing ,the tides and the wind were against us but thought i would give it a try,,looks like another good few days so good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 pm

friday ,sat and today weather was perfect again,some nice fish in the front of the lazzarette picked up a couple of big spotties floating pillies and a couple of broads and two just legal schoolies with many many undersize schoolies could be a bumper year for schoolies.. i have been told the spotties are everywhere but have not seen them to confirm..the squire fishing was very ordinary with incomming tides and s/e winds ,not my favourite conditions but seeing we were there we gave it a go, waste of time..the whiting are a excellent quality in the top of the rouse left of the go slow beacon,and there were a few squid as well,looks like blowing up for a few days time to varnish and clean the old girl(the boat )..looks ok later in the week so good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon May 05, 2014 5:23 pm

hi all had a trusted report from a mate who tells me they have been catching some nice schoolies in the rainbow channel around the welsby and around the two greens at the oyster leases in the rainbow ..looks like a nice day on tuesday a few mates and myself are off to try and catch a few whiting and any squid that might be around ,what ever happens should be a funny day..
good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri May 09, 2014 2:28 pm

tuesday was a nice day when the s/w stopped blowing ,the whiting were not plentiful at the second yellow but a nice quality ,enough for the boys to take home a nice feed. good also to put a face to jeff(curly one) who has been a weekly reader of the column..
the mackerel have been on and off but i think it will be a very good season for schoolies and broads ,looking back this is the time they got serious last year and with the ammount of undersize schoolies around i think there will be plenty around..i was going to mention a couple of things that i have seen lately and i have done it as well in the past,but i would suggest dragging your whiting behind a boat is equivalent to putting them in a washing machine ,and i am pretty sure we would not want to eat a fish after you have belted it around a while,take an extra 20 minutes to scale by hand will make your fish taste better,,and as far as taking them home to scale with a fresh water hose that really takes the cake ,in my humble oppinnion fresh fish, crabs,prawns should not be touched with fresh water before you eat them..anyway thats my thoughts for the week.. sat afternoon and sunday look ok so we might head out for a relaxing fishing session,the tides are all wrong for the lazzarete for me but thats not to say some nice fish wont be around..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri May 16, 2014 8:07 am

decided to fly to melb to see muminlaw this week seeing there was s/e forcast and not much chance to get out ,and beeing an ex victorian(40 year ago) decided to visit the victoria markets,i wish i had not .it reminded me of the unbelievable quality of the FRESH fish and all things from the sea that we in brisbane would not see in our lifetimes,there was live scallops ,live see urchins unbelievable fresh squid that the pigment in the skin was still changing colour and the snapper and pinkies looked like they were caught half hour before they were put in the window to sell and to top it off there were 20 fishmongers in line so you could choose anythinhing fresh your heart desired.ahh i miss it badly i wish we had something like that in brisbane...but we have the weather so i suppose it balances out in the end..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm

there will be an updated report published soon but if you are after squid (monster size ones) there are plenty at the mouth of fishermans gutter and the last green in the rous..also mackerel on the last two reds in the rous chanel..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:08 pm

the fishing has been very good until the s/e started blowing and the weather got a little cooler,this should be good for the schoolies in the bay so try all the known spots.. last reds in the rous has been good i would also try browns gutter and days gutter the rainbow should be good as well also this time last year around the two yellow go slow beacons in front of the sandhills and at shark spit..there was nothing in the frypan area in front of the lazzarett but with this big wind they should get there soon(as last year)..the squire have been plentiful but small we have been only managing a few keepers out of every 20 fish at the lazzarette,green and mud,but i have been told a few nice fish were caught just before the wind came up,whiting have been good in the rous ,pelican banks (around the yellow ) and the squid have been thick all the way from the start of the rous to browns gutter and they are big tigers i managed 4 nice arrows on the shallows in 4 ft of water as well..looks like a small window of opputunity to get out there if the weather predictions are correct this week..good fishing spero