Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Brad
Reporter

Report Thur 13th Apr 06

Post by Brad » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:34 am

13/4/06
I spent a day on the bay last Wednesday and was greeted with brilliant weather and millpond conditions. I went up the top end of the Rous Channel to get a couple of mackerel to make some Thai fish cakes. The first bait in the water resulted in a nice 64cm schoolie but the next half hour was very quiet. Just as the top of the tide was approaching I had about half a dozen hits on the pillies but only stayed connected to one other legal mackerel and one undersized specimen. On my way to pick up two mates at Amity, I trolled a few spoons to land a couple of small specimens. The run out tide was quiet as usual, especially so because of the very clean water. The lower stage of the making tide is definitely the best time to be fishing the upper reaches of the Rous for school mackerel.

Some good reports of whiting have filtered in from all corners of the bay with good catches coming from the Sand Hills, Browns Gutter, Amity Banks, Naval Reserve Banks and Maroom Banks.

An occasional school jew has been reported by anglers jigging plastics at both the mouth of the Brisbane River and Jumpinpin Bar. The numbers should increase over the coming months as it gets a little cooler.

The Jumpinpin Bar to Kalinga Bank section has also produced quite a few big flathead as well as the occasional trevally and tailor for anglers jigging plastics and drifting baits.

Peel Island has been worth the effort for anglers targeting snapper on plastics with good catches coming during the faster stages of the making tide. All manner of plastics have worked.

Scarborough Reef has also been worth the effort with snapper, sweetlip, estuary cod, moses perch, bream, pike and longtom all being caught on plastics and baits.

The shipping lanes in the northern bay have produced a few schools of pelagics with the majority being small mack and frigate tuna. A few longtails and the occasional school of mackerel have also been reported. Floating pillies or jigging chrome slugs around the beacons has also been productive for mackerel at times.

Live baiting at spots like the beacons in the northern bay and Western Rocks will give you a good chance of encountering a longtail or late season cobia.

A few small schools of tailor have been showing up around the Bribie bridge at night. Tarpon have also been reported and soft plastics or unweighted fresh hardiheads should produce a few hook-ups.

May your bait be nervous.

Gordon Macdonald
Tackle Warehouse
Ph. 07 33986500
masterbaitertackle@hotmail.com