10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 28/07/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 pm

It's great when you pick it and it works out! The squire were thick this afternoon at the Lazzarete, they actually came on the bite a little earlier than I had expected at around 1.30 pm. The outgoing tide was perfect and the the nor'easter was very light. I had to come home as I caught my limit.

So if you can get out there over the next couple of days, do it. The tides are perfect for an afternoon squire session.

Good fishing, Spero
IMG_0166_1169.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 28/07/14

Post by sperok » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:42 pm

Just a quick note to thank everyone who has emailed to ask questions or to thank me for the reports. Your feedback is appreciated and I hope to help everyone catch a fish and to eat a fresh fish. Growing up my dad was an amazing fisherman who loved his fishing, and it's obvious where my passion has come from. One other thing he told me was to always tell whoever asked where the fish were, and to help anyone catch a fish.

Thank you again and let's keep catching these lovely fish in one of the best bays to fish in Australia. Good fishing, Spero

Skin

Post by Skin » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Hi

I live & fish on the north side, but was thinking of fishing Peel. Is it worth it if the northerlies are blowing at 10 to 12? In the southern bay do you find the northerlies mean bad fishing. We've had nothing in the past week when the were blowing. Also I've tried to find where Lazzarate is but can't see it on any map. Can you advise me?

Thanks Richard

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:00 pm

Hi Skin

If you would like to email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au I'd be more then happy to advise. I'd rather not put the information on the website because my regular readers will have read it all before, and may not want to see the same info again.

Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Lots of folks have been asking about Peel and where/how to fish it, so I have put down some ideas for anyone who wants to try them.

I have caught lots of fish there over 40 years as well as the end of Goat Island and South West Rocks. I have found the best time is with an outgoing tide and a light n/e but a s/e is better and the time does not concern me. I have caught them at lunch time all the way through to 6pm so I only worry about tides.

When you go into the Lazzarete you can fish from the Hanlon light thru all the way into the first green marker. The drop off is where I tend to fish. You don't want to be in any less then 20 to 22 ft of high water as the shallower you go the more small bream and little reef fish there are. They'll clean out your bait in seconds.

I fish with whiting heads with a pea sinker on the hook being a 5.0 to 6.0, and 2 old Alveys as i find the fish need time to swallow the bait as they are running. I put that hook thru the nose of the whiting head, or pike, garfish and any other sort of small fish – poddy mullet as well. Octopus legs are also good, as is mullet or tailor flesh. I don't use squid as i find it catches lots more sharks, but in saying that it catches some nice sweetlip at times. I tend to use whiting as I normally go and catch them, fillet them and berley up with the bodies and use the heads as bait. Whole small whiting live are excellent as well. I tend to use big baits as the pickers and small squire will pick pick pick and then the big ones normally smash it. Just remember snapper hit head first so always have your hook in the head part.

Anchor in line with the reef (which is on your left) with an outgoing tide anywhere from the start of the gutter to the green and I am sure you will hook up a few. Once you catch your first lot, take notice of time and time of tide and the pattern tends to repeat itself. if you are getting snagged you are too shallow.

Good luck and anything I can help you with just email. Good fishing Spero

P.S. For the guys who have asked me where the gutter is, it's on the northern side of Peel Island. It starts at the Hanlon light, map 71 of [i]Beacon to Beacon[/i]. I don't usually recommend products but anyone fishing the bay should buy a map or the [i]Beacon to Beacon [/i]directory, it's very good and detailed.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:00 pm

Nice day on the bay today (Thursday). The whiting were not thick but I managed 25 nice ones for the grandchildren and the mum in law.

The arrow squid were thick on the first red of the set of 4 at the end of the Rous. Whats interesting is the tigers are all gone and there were only arrows. Makes no difference to me as they all taste great (and for those telling everyone to skin and blah blah blah with the squid, please just cut them open, clean out their guts, cut them and BBQ them tempura or shallow fry them in olive oil or black ink pasta (my favourite). They don't have to be rings and the skin is the best tasting part!

I caught 3 nice mackerel on the last red with the incoming tide. I was about to go over to the Rainbow bit did not get there, but the pros are catching a good number in the basin in front of Amity and the Welsby and the area behind the the moored trawlers at Amity. And don't forget no wire -- the macks don't like it in the bay.

Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Pretty ordinary week weather wise. Didn't manage to get out so decided to paint the inner depths of the old cruiser and the whole front cabin and anything else that didn't move. I hate painting, work that out. Anyway the old girl looks fantastic so looking forward to getting some scales all over the place again.

Needed some fresh fish to eat as I never freeze any fish so decided to find some fresh flounder somewhere in Brisbane. It was harder than looking for a needle in a haystack, most of it was frozen and looked like it came from the last ice age. Finding some Australian scallops with the roe on was just as bad, it's either from Asia or frozen from the last ice age as well. Still, I persevered and finally found a lovely person at Pacifica Trading down the coast at Robina, and I'm so glad I did. They had fresh flounder from NZ and Tassie scallops with the roe on and lots of other good looking fish that any fisherman would be happy to eat. That's hard for me to say as I buy a fish once in a blue moon.

Anyway, I'm glad I drove from Manly to Robina to acquire the flounder and the scallops. Just finished eating the flounder after grilling it and I can tell you I will be driving to Pacifica again.

Here's hoping the weather improves so we can catch some fresh fish for a feed. Unfortunately it doesn't look great for another week or so... more painting and cleaning and scrubbing.

Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:27 pm

It had better stop blowing because I'm going a little stir crazy. I have cleaned the boat, put new lines on the reels, cleaned the guides, cleaned the reels, oiled the reels, new hooks and rigs, painted the bilge area, varnished the boat, and spit and polished every part of the boat, reels and rods. I have planted all the spring veges and dug the veg garden twice over. Now can we please have some nice weather to go fishing? Looking over the last few years' reports, we can expect snapper and squire, whiting and schoolies to be there as soon as we hit the water. And according to the arrow people, Sunday onwards looks good I hope. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Hooray the weather gods listened to our screams! The weekend and today were the best 3 days weather for a long time. I didn't get out on the weekend due to grandson's birthday but today was a great day. Whiting Master and I decided since his knee surgery to get some whiting, and after 3 hours with 2 fish in the bucket it was looking like mince on toast. Still, if you keep looking in all the favourite spots and as the tides change the little buggers get hungry. We found them where the Rous and the small ships channel meet and they were huge. We managed 38 and that was enough for both the families, and the bonus was they were full of roe and they tasted delicious. Thursday night and Friday look good for some squire fishing so good fishing, Spero

Comets

Post by Comets » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Skin wrote:Hi

I live & fish on the north side, but was thinking of fishing Peel. Is the tale dc penimaster pro review worth it if the northerlies are blowing at 10 to 12? In the southern bay do you find the northerlies mean bad fishing.
I've had some great fishing days with the northerlies. Some of my best.