10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 12/09/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:38 pm

I wasn't going to do another report this soon but the last two days on the water were so good I had to tell you about it in case you got out this weekend. The Lazaret was firing but early 2.30 on Thursday is when they hit, not huge but a good size squire, also some nice schoolies but not a great size in 24ft of water in the basin in front of the Lazaret.

I caught my limit so decided to stay overnight at Fisherman Gutter and try and catch some squid at night. About 12 arrows arrived, I managed 4 and went to bed.

In the morning my old friends the tiger squid turned up and were attacking everything in sight. I managed 3 nice ones and decided to catch some whiting on the way home. I pulled up at the spot where the Rous joins the small ships channel and anchored up in 10ft of water. They weren't thick but I ended up with 22 which was more then enough.

Interestingly I saw in the last week or so a couple of small boats paravaning in the deep water just west of the Rous and small ships channel, and I decided to anchor up and clean my whiting and squid and put out a couple of floating pillies. The schoolies were thick and I ended up with 4 and dropped 4 as well. This spot used to be excellent for schoolies many many years ago and it's good to see them back there. They were on with the incoming tide and lots of run in it. The spot is about 500yds west from where the Rous joins little ships channel and the depth was 18-21ft. I think they will be there for a while, so good luck and good fishing.

P.S. It's amazing, even the wife comes down to the boat when there is a promise of fresh fried chili/salt and pepper squid back at the berth.

Spero
IMG_0173_1173.jpg
IMG_0172_1172.jpg
IMG_0171_1177.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 12/09/14

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 pm

I forgot to mention something I've been meaning to say for a long time: slow down and look at what fishermen are doing when you go past them close. You would not believe how many boats went past me today and no one stopped to see if there were whiting where I was anchored. Later it happened again – everyone went past so fast when the mackerel were on they didn't even see them being caught. So keep a keen eye out, some old fishermen might know areas that you wouldn't think of fishing at. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:07 pm

Just got back from a few days on the water and the schoolies are on the chew in the small ship channel. We picked up 5 more today and we caught 3 yesterday as well. All the neighbours are eating well at the moment. They fish are coming on at half incoming tide, I have been just drifting pillies and there are plenty, plus some nice arrow squid in the same area. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:23 am

Went out with the Whiting Master and Bomber Dave on Thursday/Friday to catch some fresh seafood. Planned on staying at fishermans gutter for the night after a fish in the small ships channel for some mackerel. Managed two and a couple of squid and the n/e started to howl so we quickly decided the sandhills was the place to go. On the blue hole side in 12 to 14 ft of water there were plenty of whiting and a few arrow squid. The whiting were thick, the boys caught over 70 between them and we left and came back to the mackerel area. Only managed two small macks and a couple more squid. A nice two days.

Down at the marina cleaning the boat today it started blowing quite early from the s/e, good fishing when the wind drops, Spero

harry17

Post by harry17 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi Spero, the wife and I love Moreton bay, we have a nice little 4.8 Savage Centurion, we put in at Nudgee and only head out on good days, she won't let me muck around mud as she loves the area Rous to Tangalooma. I follow and really enjoy your reports, we chase mostly whiting, but now have just started with squid around the sand dunes. Please keep reporting in, I reckon you have a huge following. As I have only been on the bay as such with my own boat for a couple of years and still learning heaps I really appreciate the detail you give on the areas, the tides and the tackle.
Cheers mate, love 'ya work,
Paul

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Thank you very much Paul for those nice words. I try to be as helpful as i can for all who get to go fishing to get a feed and enjoy the bay. My wife is the same, does not like Mud at all, has to be western side of Moreton Island to Peel. Lucky for me a couple of good friends like Mud, Green and the artificial reef.

Next week looks very fishable if the green and red arrow people have it correct. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:27 am

Waking up this morning and reading the paper i cant help looking at the fishing reports,and again i read spotty mackerel beeing caught in the bay.i could be wrong again as i have been before in my life but i have never seen a spotty with the water temperature at 21 degrees,maybe just maybe they are schoolies which also have spots on them and are around all year and especially the cooler months.good fishing spero

Milsy

Post by Milsy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:47 pm

Hey Spero. I created this account to say thanks for all the info you put up mate. Your reports keep people motivated and looking forward to getting out on the water.

I have been fishing the bay for the last 4 years and I can't say I have had many successful days, 98% of the time I don't even get a feed like I have some bad luck following me around. I head out every second weekend so my percentages are pretty awful :)
Keep up the good work mate it keeps people like me trying and looking forward to that good day on the water.
If you have any tips on how to get rid of bad luck fish spells let me know coz I would love to catch something over the next 12 months :)

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:53 pm

Nice day on the water so we decided on some whiting at the small boat channel and the rouse and it was damn hard to get a feed ,lots of boats looking for them but hardly saw a boat get any in,we managed a whole 20 fish nice size and 2 good size tiger squid,but it was one of the hardest days to find them..end of the week looks good so we will try again,but it was nice to be on the water anyway.good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Thank you Milsy and again to all writing in ,if any of you need any more info about areas you fish at and need any help at all with any info i can help with email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au more then happy to help ,and milsy once bad luck goes in fishing it does not come back,so let me know where you fish and what you are trying to catch and happy to try and help..hopefully see you all out there this weekend looks like the weather gods might be smiling at us..good fishing spero

the-active-one

Post by the-active-one » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 am

I have to wonder if these reports are monitored by the Professional Fisherman,? reason for asking yesterday I went to Red Beach heard the whiting were biting, arrived two hours before high tide. there were about 50 plus fishermen on beach, I watched for half a hour, not one bite between them, I wandered down, found someone that looked to be a local. not a holiday fisho. he told me the trawlers had been there in the last week and took over twenty tons of Whiting, that's 20.000 kg @ $30 a kg, we have to protect some beaches from this greed.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:44 am

I don't know about pro fisherman looking at our site to find out where the fish are. Regarding netting and trawlers, there is hardly a trawler working down this part of the bay. All I see these days are crabbers and the occasional shallow water netters catching bream, squire, mullet and garfish and, every blue moon, a ring netter chasing bonito (I hope). There have been a few bottom netters catching sharks and broad and school mackerel around Peel when they are running, and they put a dent in our catch, but I suppose it's their job. The question I have is this: with all this fresh fish being caught, where does it go? I hardly ever see a fresh local caught whiting in the fish shops. Spero

harry17

Post by harry17 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 am

Hi Spero, I'd been watching the weather for weeks and last Monday looked so good I had to pull a flexi day and head out. We we also at the Rous and as you reported it was tough, we got a few but decided to head up to the sand dunes. I often fish for whiting in this area, normally on the southern end or around the yellow buoy on the northern side. When we arrived there were a number of boats anchored up almost in the middle at about 8 metres. We pulled up and did OK. The whiting seemed to come through in waves, my mate and I would both hook up within seconds, then nothing for another 5 or 10 minutes. It was around high tide. It didn't seem to matter what bait, we had prawn, squid and gulp worms. We got a nice couple of dozen and headed home.
We were keen to try for some squid and played with a couple of jigs at the Rous but nothing. I'm keen to hear your techniques for catching squid, if you wouldn't mind sharing. Cheers, Paul

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:49 pm

hi paul
i have no idea there was a question re squidding my apologies,i normally find a nice weed bank in the rous and drift over with a couple of 3 gram jigs i prefer prawn patterns in browns and oranges under a float eg if in 9 ft of water i have one jig at 8 ft and the other at 5 ft and the i use another to cast and rerieve which i do by letiing it go close to the bottom and retrieving back slowly,something also that works really well is if you catch any little fish i the area leave it on a hook as you are drifting squid love fresh little fish in stress and when the come up get the live one out of the way and give them a jig to take..hope this helps
good fishing spero