10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 05/10/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:19 pm

Really nice weather on the bay and fish to be had by all. The whiting were thick on Friday at the small boat passage, with mackerel and squid in the same area. Saturday was not much fun as the northerly was blowing a good 15 knots most of the day. I went down Rainbow Channel to see if there were any school mackerel but nothing to see, so back to Horseshoe Bay for the afternoon and picked 4 nice crabs overnight. A few more mackerel in front of the Lazaret today and a few more whiting and squid and back home after 3 nice days to have some scrumptious tempura of our catch, deep fried sand crab, squid and whiting and a few pepper chips. Mackerel tomorrow night. Weather looks good for Monday.

Good fishing, Spero

PS Friend of mine Tom the builder caught a nice snapper at the Lazaret this morning at around 8am.
IMG_0186_1189 (2).jpg
IMG_0184_1187.jpg
IMG_0195_1186 (2).jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 05/10/14

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:20 am

Glad you did well over the sandhills Paul. There have been lots of whiting at the sandhills although the size has not been as good as the Rous and the small boat passage. Still, as I always say they taste the same.

Regarding squid fishing they are a little hit-and-miss at the moment but i have been catching them nearly every trip in the last few months. The larger arrows have come in the bay and the tigers are not as big as earlier in winter but again they all taste the same. I have found the tiger brown pattern 3g squid jigs work the best. I work one by casting and retrieving and the other I hang under a float, e.g.if you are in 12ft of water I would hang the jig around 8ft deep. The damn pike make a mess of them sometimes. The other thing that I find works better then anything else sometimes is the old style metal squid jig that you put a pilly on. Interestingly I have been catching them on the 4 gang hooks with a pillie on waiting for the mackerel to hit in the boat passage. Squid will pop up where you least expect them but my favourite spots are where there is sand and dark weed banks. I remember back in the old days at the sandhills they use to be thick when the whiting were on, but not as much these days. I hope this helps a little to catch a few more squid. Good fishing, Spero

Des11

Post by Des11 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:36 am

Hi Spero,

how far from the beacons at Lazaret's are you?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:36 am

Hi Des
In the Lazaret from the hanlon light to the green triangle which is on the right hand side entering from the north, anywhere along the drop off there in around 20-22ft of water. You need to wait a while sometimes as the bigger fish may only come on for an hour. I'm happy if there are little squire around as it tells me I am in the right depth and area. If you're not getting any bites at all you are too deep. Hope that helps. Looks like my favourite tides this Friday/Sat/Sunday for an afternoon fish. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Decided on a couple of days out as there were outgoing tides in the afternoon. However, like all good plans the n/e decided to come in around 15 knots and the old girl would not sit in the tide so all squire fishing was off. The whiting in the small boat channel were like hens teeth. My wife and I picked up a whole 12 on Saturday (but they were huge) and two nice schoolies as well. This morning picked up a nice big schoolie on the troll in front of the Lazaret on the way to fish for some whiting and again they were very hard to get, half a dozen and not a mackerel or a squid to be seen.

Lots of whiting over at the sandhills around the go slow yellow in front of the big sandhill and also in front of the small sandhill around the entrance to the blue hole. At the end of the week weather looks good again so hopefully there will be some good fishing coming on. Some rain and flushing out of the rivers and streams would help. Good fishing, Spero