10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 17/10/14

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Thursday/Friday were not bad days. The problem at the moment the tides are very small and not much run, hard to fish with wind against the tide. Managed some nice whiting at the small boat passage, good quality and lots more around. I picked up 40 in an hour.

At the Lazaret on Thursday afternoon I couldn't fish so decided to sleep at horseshoe and decided to fish the morning run out. A south westerly made it a little easier. Lots of small fish and managed two keepers, not huge at around the 38 mark.

The mackerel have been hit and miss but I managed two schoolies at the green beacon opposite the Lazaret this morning. A few mack tuna around and the schoolies were deep under them.

I have attached some photos of how i rig for snapper /squire in the bay as readers have been emailing me to see how i fish, and my trusty old Alveys.

Good fishing next time you can get out

Spero
IMG_0211_1229.jpg
IMG_0207_1225.jpg
IMG_0214_1224.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 17/10/14

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:14 am

Just wanted to say thank you to all emailing me regarding the reports for Moreton Bay. When it comes to catching a fish or two for the dinner table I am more than happy to pass on any knowledge I have (not much)!

It's blowing a gale today but I received a report of nice schoolies at the yellow at shark spit. Interestingly, that's where they were last year at this time, so at the end of the week we might have to give it a go. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Really nice day on the bay. All my mates have gone on a cruise to the Greek Isles so I decided to go catch some whiting for dinner, and I'm glad I did! They were thick in the small boat passage once you found them. Not a squid or schoolie to be seen. Decided to have an afternoon fish for squire at green and didn't get a hit at all, so home for some fresh whiting. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Wife and I went out for the last couple of days, decided on no serious fishing just a bit of relaxing on the bay. Looked for some squid over at the southern part of amity banks but nothing. Paravaned over toward the lazaret and picked up a nice schoolie. Iinterestingly there were schoolies balling up bait, not many schools but its the first time i have ever seen schoolies balling up bait. There were lots of watsons bonito everywhere between the lazaret and amity banks. Strong damn wind on Thursday afternoon so hid around horseshoe (not much fun sitting there without being able to fish) and put my crab pots in, don't know why!

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:58 am

Next couple of days look good if the weather predictions are correct (not like the other day when there was a lovely storm above my house but the weather experts had no warning out about any storms, go figure). The tides are good for squire and the morning look good for whiting. Looking at last year's reports the whiting were thick in the Rous and the school mackerel were thick at shark spit, so over the next couple of days we'll see what we can catch for dinner. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:39 pm

Weather was ok this morning but the afternoon session for squire was wiped out as it started blowing from the ene at about 15 knots. BOM says it's blowing 6 so these these waves that I'm going through must be my imagination. So the planned overnight has to be cancelled.

The whiting were good this morning at the small boat passage but the quality was nothing compared to last week. The water is warming up nicely, got a bit of a shock to see it 74 F this morning; another couple of degrees and we might have to start looking for spotties. Let's hope they are as good as last year.

Looks like it will be windy for the next few days so cleaning and varnishing is the go. Good fishing, Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:33 am

Weather is looking good for the next few days heading of to the western side of moreton island as there are lots of yellowtail kingfish around cowan reef and schoolies around sharkspit,yellowtail were caught yesterday 1mt in size so good fun was had by tom the builder.
Lots of whiting at the big and small sandhills as well so of we go ,let you know next week how it was.good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Back from 3 nice days on the bay with my wife,pretty rough going over on saturday blowing a good 20 knots but once over to the sandhills it was very pleasant,whiting was on the menu for saturday afternoon so around the go slow yellow at the front of the big sandhill(for the 5 gentlemen on jet skis its a GO SLOW beacon and 60 metres from anchored boats ,but i dont know if the weeties boxes where licences are issued from have that info) ok got that of my chest. the whiting were thick in fact we anchored up and caught as many as we wanted with an outgoing tide,we moved in for the night and squid was what we were after, light went on and the biggest arrow arrived but as usual i was looking at it in the fry pan instead of catching it missed it of course ,that was it not another one in site, but i caught something very unexpected a massive ball of whitbait turned up in the light and the grandkids butterfly net came in handy as i scooped up half a kilo of the tasty little suckers.
Sunday morning decide to go looking for schoolies up to sharkspit and the area behind the 4 beacons (2 actually) not a touch and no birds on the surface any where,so another short fish for some whiting,decided to come back to this side of the bay this morning as the wind predictions were 20 knots ,did not happen, this morning there was hardly a breath of air and hot ,fished mud for a couple of squire and caught 2 huge catfish which i thought were big snapper when they hit and got very excited,but not to be,came back to green caught a lovely arrow for squid ink pasta ..good trip good fishing spero
ps.just a quick note to all the whiting were not on at all till the tide started to roll out,so sometimes you need to have some patience with a particular spot ,if you were to fish only the incomming next to the yellow nothing at all and then they were thick when the tide changed..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 am

Hooray, rain and heat ,good to see it should improve the whiting and the squire and the heat in the water should be enough to get the spotties thinking about entering the bay,hope they come in early like last year.
So as soon as the winds and storms stop it will be time to start looking, so dont forget to stock up on good cheap slugs from waterbait tackle for 3 dollars thats all you need i had them made and they work as good as any expensive ones and you dont feel terrible when you lose a few.. good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:38 am

Sometimes its great to have good friends,(i am having fresh fish tonight without going fishing) tom the builder was over checking out his tentsite and decided to troll for some schoolies at the sharkspit yellow and bagged out in the morning with the incomming tide , he tell me big baitballs and judging by the fillets big fish as well..so need to get out there when the wind stops.good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:15 am

Good morning one and all ,good phone call to get 6 am from a good friend to tell me spotties are thick in front of tangalooma.out to the beacons,this is around the same time as the last 2 years,and the water temp is perfect for them. so good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi everyone .first let me say its nice to meet all the fisherman that come up and say hello out in the bay and put some faces to the emails.
secondly i could not find the spotties at all on sunday after telling you of my information that they were thick,lots of boats chasing bonnito which they thought were mackerel ,so need to ask my friend when i see him where they were excactly,but managed to find lots of nice size schoolies (not at the coast) but ridge shoal and dring bank also shark spit,they were on all morning ,caught our ten in an hour,and nice size whiting at the go slow yellow at slaughters gutter (go slow yellow in front of the big sandhill..back home this morning to finish putting up the xmas lights seeing the N/N/E started early this morning..
good fishing spero

mickthefisho

Post by mickthefisho » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi every one im only new to this forum. I would really like to be pointed in the right direction to getting onto some mackrell and tuna in the bay as I am new to fishing the bay. Im not after any marks just a rough idea would be grest. I have a 4.5 runabout so can go most places weather permitting. Any help would be great. Thanks

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:16 pm

hi mick if you read thru the blogs you will find i mention all places where you can get mackerel and tuna especially over this time of the year,and on this site we give all points where you can catch ..if you need any info at all email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au more then happy to pass on any knoledge of where and how to help catch some fish..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:28 am

Hi everyone,if you like me you must be going crazy waiting for this weather to ease so we can go fishing,cant report much apart from a friend, tom the builder who with the family is at bulwer on moreton and is catching some tailor,and tells me squid are very hard to find.on the spotties front i am pretty sure my report was wrong last week ,i think bonnito was what they were seeing so till i see photos or see them with my own eyes i wont be reporting on them, but i think it will be time to look for them next patch of hot fine weather.
i was so pleased to recieve an email from one of our readers who caught his first schollies in the bay after many years of trying and also realised how nice they taste fresh,made my day..so lets hope the weather improves shortly so we can get some fresh fish.good fishing spero