10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 5/2/15

Post by subeditor » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:53 pm

Happy new year to all and what an end to the year it was.
The whiting were thick at the entrance to the small boat passage (as you can see from the photo) and the spotties have come in the bay (yippee, as you can see by the photos).
We had a great time and they were big fish around the 9 to 10lb mark.
The whiting master and bomber David had lots of fun and it was good to see them with the water temperature so hot. We don't want it to get any hotter or they might go deep.
So if you want a feed of spotties they were just outside St Helena in line with the sand hills..so good fishing to you all in 2015.
Spero.
Attachments
SperoWhiting5215.jpg
SperoMack5215.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 5/2/15

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:12 am

I dont whats going on with this wind ,surely it has to ease a little ,it make it hard when you know the big spotties are out there and you cant go out to get a couple, maybe friday could be the day lets hope,i would think they might have moved closer to the sandhills as the s/e has been pretty hard for a while and maybe even towards peel ,dont know if its true but the old pros always said the swim into the wind where it is more shelterd, its probably because its calmer water and they can find the baitfish better,anyway we will look for them when the we get a chance to go out and loose some lures,just made a new batch of slugs for watertower tackle and as i said before for three dollars it does not hurt much when you loose a few and remmember no wire in the bay ..so good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:10 pm

Just got back from a couple of day out,decided we neded some squire for dinner and as the tide was perfect for the lazarete and the wind was from the s/e over i went on thursday afternoon ,everything was good except it was blowing its head of ,managed 4 nice ones around 40 cm and the other 20 were all 30 to 35 (they must know you have to throw them back so they dont grow any bigger).came back behind green island for a sleep and decided to look to catch some whiting and look for mackerel today,the whiting were nice and big at the small boat passage early and the spotties were not on,there were a few small patches of about 2 to 3 fishand but were not staying up for long (hard to get to them fast with my top speed of 7 knots) n/w of the artificial reef there was lots of bait ,so as soon as the weather calms down and a couple of warm days they will be on again ,when they get a chance to school up the baitfish, so lets hope the weather is kind and it calms down and heats up .good fishing spero
ps.i will be posting a photo next week of the biggest mackerel i have ever caught in my life..i caught a 99 pounder once this beats it hands down..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Monday was ok on the bay the spottys have moved a little closer to green and st helena and even back towards mud ,nothing on the other side of the bay towards the sandhills at all,did not even see a bird fluttering ,lots of nice whiting on the shallows in front of the small sandhill close to the entrance to the blue hole,and we managed 4 small squid at night,and you not believe i put my trusty 2 crabpots in to make my good friend happy who came out for the first time overnight (adam the wizard marine electrician and master of all things regarding boating) and something mashed the steel bait holders to bits,(i hate crabbing)and not a keeper in sight.pity the weather was not what was beeing predicted unless ofcourse you take in the 40% up or down in the wind speed and direction. good fishing spero
ps...i was asked by a reader via email about seeing ring netters out there the other day and i have to say i saw them to but i am pretty sure they were chasing bonnito and are allowed to take spottys as a by catch only,i think..
pss..and to the guys we towed in ...carry your phone in a waterproof container if you are worried about getting it wet ,it could save your lives..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:55 pm

looks like a nice saturday comming up if the arrow site is correct ,the spottys might be a little further north towards mud as these northerlys today are fairly strong and they might find some nice calm water between mud and st helena,i normally have the silos in the middle between mud and st helena and head towards the sand hills 45 to 53 ft of water is normally the best for spotties.good luck on friday sat and good fishing spero