Report 15/1/15 (The biggest mackerel ever!)

Water Tower Bait & Tackle
10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 15/1/15 (The biggest mackerel ever!)

Post by subeditor » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:32 pm

As mentioned in the last report here is the monster mackerel, I have never seen a mackerel this size ever in my lif! It took a 3 inch spoon and when you consider its only 6 inches long he must have been very hungry and must have been on for a while because it was dead when I brought the paravane to check for weed. It's great to see these babies in the bay, the problem I have, it's so small I can't tell if it's a schoolie or a spotty.. anyway looks like some good days coming up for mackerel, one thing to remember everybody can get one fish or five out of a school just don't drive through them, hang back and let whoever is there first to hook up there fish in peace, and then get yours. There will be plenty for all of us this summer, and remember, mackerel hang around where they feed so don't take off at a million miles an hour to the next school as the one you were on will be up again to eat the bait ball they left behind, so let's all have fun catching them without any agro this summe!
Good fishing to you all!
Spero
Attachments
Spero15115_2.JPG
SperoMack15115.JPG

Skin

Re: Report 15/1/15 (The biggest mackerel ever!)

Post by Skin » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi Spero

I was out yesterday looking for Spotties. Six boats went out, Powerboat Anglers, not one mackeral

Anyway I caught two of those tiny mackeral with the livebait jig, one off Mud & the other by the shipping markers near the river mouth. One had loads of spots & looked like miniature Spotty.

Skin

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:15 am

I had an intersting conversation with a dear young friend the other day who complained that there were too many boats paravaning and chasing mackerel on the surface with slugs in the areas i have mentioned in the bay,i had to remind him that not only he but I did not have a clue how to catch them many many years ago... i still remmember the times i went out there with pillies and wire traces throwing them to feeding schools of mackerel all day and every blue moon you would catch one and get very excited,till a lovely old man came up to me one day and asked me if i wanted to know how to catch them,which i said yes please, he showed me his lead slugs he had hand made and the wire running thru and a singlre 4.0 5.0 hook dangling at the back,to keep the lead shiny he would run his knife over the lead ,and he could cast these little devils 20 time further then i could cast my pillie,i wish i could remmember his name ,but it was 40 years ago and my brain is not as quick as it used to be,but i have alway been so grateful that somebody had the time to stop and help me catch a mackerel on a hand made lead slug,times have changed and we can buy them anywhere and catch fish ..so dont get upset at others trying to catch a fish we all learnt by someone telling us or helping us .good fishing spero

jimjim04

Post by jimjim04 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:31 am

So forty years ago as a thanks to the old man you went and published how and where you caught your fish in the local paper I am sure he was impressed. That's the difference today social media is instant. we all have learnt by some one showing us how to fish smarter if you couldn't work it out. Only 5% of fisherman catch and only 0.1% post on social media. I do admit I don't have your experience as I only caught my first fish 37years ago and have been hooked ever since.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:25 pm

hi jim jim04, just trying to help new fisherman catch some fish.and relating some of my experiences.good fishing spero

MurrayB

Post by MurrayB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:41 pm

Spero,
jim jim 04 probably flogs a spot when the fish are there and keeps it under his hat. It's a big Bay out there. Keep up the good work Spero. Your reports are very helpful to those of us who cannot be on the water as often as we would like and jim jim should remember that the fish you talk about are there one day and gone the next, so we all have to do a bit of research anyway. isn't that half the fun?

Murray