10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 5/2/15

Post by subeditor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

Weather was pretty good Friday to Sunday, except for that lovely storm that for some reason I must have missed the forecast from BOM that it was coming. All I can say is that it was pretty scary in Horseshoe Bay when you are anchored up because it was blowing 22 knots from the N/E and you see this thing building down south and ask your wife who has a smart phone to look at the radar and the words you mutter are, "ohh Sugar" (as I still use a 20 year old 631I Nokia) and don't have smart features at all. Anyway, this thing came in at a great rate of knots, about 30-40, and Horshoe turned into a washing machine of white caps from the S/E,thank heavens the anchor held and after all that, the brown stains all turned out well and the fresh chilly squid tasted superb.
The fishing was excellent for the 3 days, all the fish that we thought should be there were and we caught enough to make us happy. I got an extra bonus and managed half a bucket of whitebait that decided to make the back of the boat there hiding spot,(had some of them for lunch on Sunday and they were yummy) now out in the bay I have to fight off the mackerel to leave me some whitebait, and it's the first time I can say I caught thousands of fish.
The squid were in good numbers on Green in the Rous before the dogleg to the reds and the whiting were thick and of fantastic quality between the entrance to the chain and Maroom bank gutter (small boat passage). The spottyies were in the same area between Harrys and Green, but some turned up just wide of the sand hills, which is good news. The schoolies were there in the Rainbow but not in great numbers we managed just 2 for the troll on Saturday afternoon.
A friend and his wife were fishing for squire at the hole in the wall at Peel and there were plenty there on Saturday but the size was not great, just a couple of keepers out of the 40 they caught.
So all in all a good three days, the wind looks like blowing this week so I hope the next week end is a good one.
Spero.
Attachments
Sperowhite5215.jpg
SperoStorm5215.jpg
SperoSquid5215.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 5/2/15

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:36 pm

Sunday is looking like a good chance to get out if the weather sites are correct,and with a s/e northern side of peel looks good for some snapper fishing with an evening out going tide and for those that can an overnight,as long as we get home early on monday as it looks like its going to blow again. Had some good reports of lots of squid in all the gutters leading of the rainbow channel this week according to the pros .i managed a few there last week so they are there .
Spotties have to waite till this damn wind stops and with the ammount of bait in the bay it wont take long for them to find them and start balling up.good fishing till next week spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Its windy but the spotties are up and feeding ,yesterday a friend had to go (could not help himself) and they were in the same area they have been for the last 5 weeks between king island-- hope bank beacon --artificial reef-- and mud -- back to st helena ,why they are staying in one area i cant explain ,they normally stay for a week or so and move with the bait when we have big tides but this year so far all the females are staying put,maybe they will start moving when the males finally come in ,a few small schools were spotted on sunday n/w of mud and in the shipping channel and one good school at shark spit in about 70 ft of water,hopefully these are the males comming in in big numbers ,we will have to waite and see when the wind stops, the water temp has dropped with the s/e wind which is good news as it was starting to get very hot on the surface ..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:42 am

Sunday was not a bad day a little breezy ,there were no mackerel in the area they have been ,no bait and no birds could be they have moved closer to moreton need a couple of calm days to go and see,the whiting were thick of the chain banks and so were the squid all tigers ,i have not seen that many of the chain banks for years the fact that it is so close to home is fantastic and they taste good as well.weather looks pretty ordinary comming up this week even our friends at the arrow site have a brown arrow for saturday i dont think i have seen one before so more cleaning and maintance this week good fishing spero.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:25 pm

I hope all get thru this ,without loss of life and not too much damage,i went down to put extra ropes and tie down all i could on the boat today and i have to say it felt very eary looking out to the n/e ,i remember i think it was 1978 when a cyclone went past us and hit northern nsw and i was scared sh......tless ,i have to say when the weather turns this nasty it gives me a horrible feeling in the gut..hope all make it thru ok and not much damage ..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:08 pm

So glad the weather predictions for 90 kl winds and mayhem did not happen it was a great relief and now that all the ropes and tarps are off the boat its time to look to the week end which looks like a nice 3 days comming up,looking back over the last couple of years the whiting should be thick and so should the squid ,the school mackerel this time last year were plentiful on the western side of moreton island between the sandhills and sharkspit and the spottys were up and chopping between mud and the sandhills in about 53 ft of water,with the strong s/e i expect them to also be towards peel especially east of the lazarete gutter,up against the reef i have had a couple orf reports a couple of locals have been catching them there,so lets hope the weather is good so we can get out and have some resh fish for dinner.good fishing spero