10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 5/3/15

Post by subeditor » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 am

The weather turned magic apart from a few hiccups like the rain on Friday morning but sat Sunday and early Monday were fantastic.
We targeted our favorites and we were not disappointed, the tides were not how I like them at the Lazarete and the squire were on in the early afternoon, the whiting were thick on the Marrom banks in 5 ft of water and the squid were thick and agressive just off the Chain Bank in about 10 ft of water. No mackerel on the surface but I managed 2 nice spotties and 4 schoolies trolling in the deep water off the Chain banks so the week end was worth waiting for.
It will be interesting to see where the spotties surface because they are obviously still in the bay, so till next week, good fishing.
Spero.
Attachments
SperoWhiting5315.JPG
SperoSquid5315.JPG
SperoSnapper5315.jpg
SperoMack5315.jpg

blue-peril

Re: Report 5/3/15

Post by blue-peril » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:39 am

Nicely done Spero. I think I have seen you out there many times. will say hi next time. My Boat name - Blue Peril.

Ps, can you tell me how to rig up to troll for mackerel. never chased them but I know they are fun and good chewing.

cheers Casho

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:29 pm

Great few days .went to the sandhills and sharkspit out to the measured mile to find the spottys ,nothing hardly a tuna either.
paravaned the sharkspit yellow back about 300 yds to the s/e in the 27 to 30 ft hole thats there and picked up two big spottys and 3 schoolies,anquored up and dropped two pillies over and two more spottys and big fish so why they are feeding down and not on the surface i dont know ,i am pretty sure its happened before but i dont remmeber when.
The whiting were pretty good in the blue hole ,and we were going to go for a swim till i saw two very large sharks playing in the shallows,that was the end of the swimming urge.
Overnight at Lucinda bay and not dissapointed with the 3 arrow squid that turned up.so all in all a good weekend.
hopefully the spottys find and school up the bait and get up to the surface so till next time good fishing spero..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:32 pm

hi blue peril.email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au and will let you know re paravane and trolling for mackerel in the bay,
thanks spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:41 am

Just got back from another two days on the bay and i have to say what a difference a couple of days make,the whiting were like hens teeth on the chain banks and worse still at the maroom banks where they were thick 3 days ago ,not a squid to be seen either,luckily we picked up 5 nice squire at the lazarete till the northerly came up and a nice big flathead.and the bonus was the whitebait came behind the boat last night so happy days for me with fresh whitebait for dinner.the weather looks not to good for the next few days so we will see what happens.good fishing spero

MurrayB

Post by MurrayB » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:37 pm

Spero,

Do you think the netters get along those areas and clean up the whiting? I know the pole netters clean up the flathead (and anything else) down near Garden Island and you have to wait about 3 months for them to build up again. The whiting wouldn't take long to drift back in around the Rous, but food for thought?

Murray

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Seen some nice pictures of some really nice squire/snapper in the last week from the eastern side of green island ,might be worth a fish next week when this wind stops,you cant beat catching 2 to 4 kilo fish in 15 ft of water and a stones throw from the boat ramps at manly.good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:31 pm

No i dont think the netters play a part in the small boat passage or the rous,i think there is too many sharks and turtles and dugongs and it would be hell to try and lift the nets and the tides are pretty quick,plus in all my years of fishing the area i have never seen a netter in that area.the pole netters normally target green which i have seen many times yet funny enough whenever i have decided to have a flick for some flathead on the western side against the mangroves there are always fish there.personaly i dont think they do much damage to us catching fish i have fished around the netters for many years and we have always managed to catch our feed of whatever we target..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:16 am

Recieved an email today from robin who makes a good point re me telling fisherman to catch whiting on the maroom bank,and he makes a good point that it is a green zone so you must be fishing where the water is 2mts at the low water,i have to say i have the 5th edition of beacon to beacon and it shows it as a yellow zone but after checking the web it is a green zone so be careful how shallow you get there when the whiting are on.and thank you to robin for pointing this out,good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Nice day on the bay today ,just got back from the bay trying to catch a couple of squire behind green island ,dropped a big fish next to the boat around the 4 kilo mark not happy at all and that was the only decent bite for the whole afernoon,it was not the run out that i like but a nice afternoon, ..the whiting according to the 3 boats i spoke to today trying to get a feed at the small boat channel had caught 2 fish between them so i did not bother to wet a worm decided to try for some squid and i was very happy to catch 3 nice tigers ,speaking about tigers i saw one of the biggest tiger sharks i have ever seen swim right behind the boat today in about 7 ft of water he would have to have been 10 to 12 ft so dont go jumping in around the chain banks.also was lucky to pick up two nice schoolies on the left of the hope bank beacon in 24 ft of water ..looks like some nice days comming up end of the week good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Monday and today were wonderful days out in the bay ,pity i believed the weather people and did not go out on monday ,never mind they will get it 40% right one day, at least today was as good the whiting have left the chain banks and the small boat passage and have moved up to the rous in the entrance to fishermans gutter and opposite on the go slow yellow not in the thousands but very good quality ,picked up 25 in an hour and 3 nice tiger squid,the squid must have followed the whiting up to the rous as well.i stopped at the entrance to the chain banks and cleaned my whiting and floated a squid jig out ,you would not believe two large schoolies decide to chase the sqid jig and one decide to bite it off ,there goes a 12 dollar esmeralda nude..put out a floating whiting untouched.
and next thing a cuttlefish decided to eat the whiting ,if you have been reading the reports i have not seen a cuttlefish for years in the bay so it was great to see one again.i think this rain will bring the whiting and squire on but i hope i am wrong but seems the spottys have gone at the momment, the good news is a few schools of bonnito were feeding early in the morning so the long tail tuna should not be far away.till next time good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:53 am

Happy easter brake to everyone,looks like a few nice days comming up and with this rain and dirty water the whiting and squire/snapper should be on the chew so we will be trying to catch a few,the sandcrabs have been thick in the rous .
I have to say its been a very sad and short season for spottys again ,everything looked perfect for a long season but for whatever reason they seem to have stopped feeding on the surface and the ones that have stuck around are hard o find,lets hope next year is better,the good thing is the schoolies will start getting better as the cooler weather approaches (and they taste just as good)
So have a great few days out on the water be careful with the weather as this time of year some of these fronts that come thru are pretty bad,and watch out for the boaties that forget all the rules of speed where people are anchored up and swimming and fishing. so good fishing and see you out there spero