10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 9/4/15

Post by subeditor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Easter has come and gone and thank heavens the weather folks predictions did not come true. The winds overall were light and thousands of boats enjoyed the bay.
The whiting again were not easy to catch the quality is very good but the numbers are not what we are used to.
The tiger squid at the yellow opposite Fishermans Gutter were thick but interestingly only an hour after the tide turned and then it was like someone turned off the lunch sign. It was amazing, all the boats around us were all catching one after the other and then nothing not one.
We managed 15 whiting but it took us 2 hours to get them, at least the tempura squid tonight will be make the trip out worthwhile.
Looks like a few good afternoons coming up so planning on a few snapper afternoons with my favourite outgoing tides in the late afternoon.
Good fishing until then,
Spero
Attachments
SperoSquid9415.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 9/4/15

Post by sperok » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:22 am

Sunday turned out a nice day the winds kept away and the school mackerel again are loitering left of the hope bank beacon,picked up 4 nice fish and two babies ,interesting there is nothing on the sounder no bait no structure but for some reason they are there in 26 ft of water,fished the lazaret gutter very nice with a s/e and managed 4 nice squire all around 45 cm many small ones .there were a few little sharks hitting the baits which i have never caught there before,one thing i have to say i cant believe how many boats cut the corner around peel and forget to go around the hanlon light beacon till they see how shallow they are and then its dead stop ahead,luckily it was high tide and they all still have there props attached to the boats, looks like the winds are easing end of the week and the temperature is cooling so happy days if you can get out there to catch some fish,good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Had a couple of nice days out with my best mate the whiting master on the bay wensday.thursday and the weather was fantastic,the fishing was excellent as well.. picked up 2nice broad mackerel and 2 schoolies between the red a.s huybers beacon end of king island and the hope bank beacon the broad were around 75 cm big fish the whiting were ok we managed 40 at the gutter opposite fishermans gutter which is the channel that goes to the maroom hole and the squid (very big tigers) were plentiful in 8 to 9 ft of water,we picked up 4 nice 40 to 50 cm squire at the lazarete on wensday afternoon ,and also managed half a dozen crabs as well ,it does not get any better then that in the bay,home tonight and if the weather holds, might get out on the week end to get some baitfish,hope you can get out there and get amongst them,good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:04 am

Could not help myself told ny wife we go out for a few days to relax but it was so calm on friday i decided to try the lazaret in the morning actually brunch time 10 am and you would not believe picked up 5 nice squire one was around 8 lbs so not bad for a mid morning fish ,that was it, there was not much else happening at peel apart from 1000 boats ,and the worst thing was no bait fish to net up ,speaking to a couple of old friends who are pro crabbers the crabs have been excellent and beeing ex ring netters but also fantastic line fisherman we were trying to solve the question why the spottys came and went so soon and none in the top part of the bay ,sad to say we could solve the problem.
Fished for some schoolies and broads but not a touch over the last two days but with the cooler weater predicted things should improve in the next few weeks.good fishing till then spero