10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 30/4/15

Post by subeditor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:17 pm

The weather is at its glorious best. The winds are light and the fishing cant get any better,the squid have invaded the bay and I've not seen that many tiger squid in all my life. The yellow at Green Island was thick, the small boat passage, the second yellow in the Rous and Rainbow channel is teaming with them some up to 45cm long and at the Sandills as well.
The whiting are of great quality at the Rous and also the Sandhills, and the squire were in great numbers at the Lazarete, all about 40-45cm but lots of 30cm as well.
As for the mackerel, schoolies were in full swing at the shark spit beacon. My good friend Shane got 10 in 1 hour, the interesting thing this week was I picked up a 85cm spotty paravaning on the northern side of the Hope Banks, but what was interesting (which I have never seen before) he had a whole prawn in his stomach. So the spotty are still hanging around but not schooling up bait on the surface, who knows why...
So until next time, good fishing,
Spero
Attachments
SperoWhiting30415.jpg
SperoSquid30415.jpg
SperoPrawnMack30415.jpg
Speromack30415.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 30/4/15

Post by sperok » Fri May 01, 2015 8:01 am

Looking at the weather it is horrible down manly way ,but the school mackerel fishing should come alive after the weather clears ,in years past we would not fish for schoolies till the may /june and only after we had the first cold/wind and rain period and then for some reason the schoolies were thick,these days they seem to be in the bay all year round but still better over winter months as with the broads as well,so we will have to get out and see when the weather eases.
For years i have been saying hard to find really fresh fish to buy when we cant get out there and i have to say the fish factory on lytton road had the most amazing fresh fish the other day(i go there for my pippis from south australia which are my favourite to eat) the flathead ,whiting and squire were like they were just pulled out of the bay very impressed,and they even had reef fish wings which was good to see.so i hope there is good fishing when the sun comes out spero

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 30/4/15

Post by sperok » Wed May 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Seeing it looks good in the morning just wanted to pass on some info re school and spotty mackerel ,found them in the last two days at the entrance to the blue hole in 20 to 30 ft of water in front of the small sandhill at moreton island,on the last of the incomming tide ,and they were thick we also picked up two spotties one was 88cm long a horse,i have not seen that size spotty for years..we managed as many as we wanted and stopped ,interesting they were feeding on pilchards on the bottom as when i openned them up they were full and so were the bonnito that we caught,we caught them all paravaning but i am pretty sure if you were to drift with pillies you will snag a few ,the whiting were also thick but small in size and the squire were in good numbers and were on the chew in the middle of the day on the eastern side of green island ,picked up a couple of lovely fish on monday and tuesday.good fishing spero