10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 7/5/15

Post by subeditor » Thu May 07, 2015 1:38 pm

Lots of the readers of the column ask me what is the best time to fish for squire around the bay islands. Some people seem to think you can't catch good fish in the middle of the day. I thought I would show you Monday's fishing at Green Island. We went out with the start of the outgoing tide, my favourite, and caught 4 nice squid with my favourite prawn pattern squid jig that are nice and cheap at Watertower Bait Shop, and then went to the eastern side of Green as the tide started to fly out. We got the two squire at 12noon and 12.30 pm on half whiting, one was 47 and the other was 58 and it was a dead calm day with no breeze, in 16ft of water.

I have to say its the best fishing you can do, it was warm, there was no wind and we got two lovely fish.
The weather looks great for the whole week, let's hope the weather folk are correct.

Good fishing,

Spero.
Attachments
SperoSquire7515.jpg
SperoSquid7515.jpg
SperoGlass7515.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 7/5/15

Post by sperok » Thu May 07, 2015 2:05 pm

Seeing as it looks good in the morning I wanted to pass on some info re school and spotty mackerel. I found them in the last two days at the entrance to the blue hole in 20-30ft of water in front of the small sandhill at moreton island on the last of the incoming tide. They were thick. We also picked up two spotties, one was 88cm long -- a horse. I have not seen that size spotty for years. We managed as many as we wanted and stopped. Interestingly they were feeding on pilchards on the bottom as when i opened them up they were full, and so were the bonito that we caught. We caught them all paravaning but I'm pretty sure if you were to drift with pillies you will snag a few. The whiting were also thick but small in size and the squire were in good numbers and were on the chew in the middle of the day on the eastern side of green island. Picked up a couple of lovely fish on monday and tuesday. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat May 09, 2015 3:21 pm

I know there are too many boats that fish harrys artificial reef but after seeing some photos a couple of minutes ago from some of the snapper caught at 5am this morning you might need to squeeze in on the weekends and put some baits down, even if you are close enough to shake the next boat's hand. Good looking snapper. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 13, 2015 7:07 am

Just got back in and i have to say i think the bay has been flooded with giant tiger squid. One yesterday was over 45cm long -- that's the body not with its tentacles.

The whiting in the rous and fishermans gutter are good size as well. It's funny how the whiting move around. I have hardly seen a boat in fishermans gutter and yesterday there were 15 boats all catching whiting. Fished green for one nice squire late yesterday afternoon but the damn n/w started just when the tide was going to turn, but what can you do. Still, if you like squid for dinner they are in fantastic numbers at the moment. It does seem to me they come on the bite an hour each side of the tide as the water slows in the run. Looks like its going to blow its head off for a few days so rod /reel and boat upkeep is on the cards. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue May 19, 2015 5:57 pm

Just got in from a day at the eastern side of green island, the squid are still there in good numbers between the yellow at the southern end and the shallow water around 4-6ft deep on the last of the incoming tide around 10-11am. Managed 5 good tigers and the squire were not thick but managed 4 lovely fish between 40-58cm. They were on and off the bite from 12noon to 3pm with the outgoing tide. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Another day in the bay and what a great two days. The school mackerel are thick at sharkspit and the area i mentioned in front of the small sandhill at moreton. Most of the fish caught had whole fresh pillies in their stomachs so if you don't want to paravane casting out some pillies and retrieving slowly will be the go. The squid are still thick at the southern end of green on the incoming tide. We managed ten this morning and caught another couple of lovely size squire both around the 45-50cm mark at 2pm. If the weather holds it's a great time to get a nice feed. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu May 21, 2015 6:44 am

Thursday morning great day for fishing no wind dead calm ,only one problem i cant find my boat from the fog.......

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Tuesday and Wednesday were nice days for a fish, so the wife and I decided to go out. We got everything organised, picked up all we needed and off we went to get some whiting, squid and squire at the lazaret. Whiting was not much fun as they are in fishermans gutter and i cant get the old girl in there (the boat that is) if not high tide, so we fished the yellow opposite the gutter. Managed 6 whiting only but they were very large. No squid.

Off we went to get organised for squire for the late afternoon outgoing tide session. We anchored up, got the rods out and went to get the bag of whiting frames. Guess what ????? it sucks getting old i picked up the fish bones from the fish stock i had made so all i had were some worms and 6 whiting heads. Well picked up a lovely 56 cm squire and then had a good sleep as there was no more bait. If i had a cat it would have been kicked from pillar to post.

At least today brought more joy. Picked up two nice schoolies at the green at the hope bank in 26 ft of water and 4 nice squid at green on the southern point at the yellow, so not a bad two days after all. Will be over at the moreton next two days and we will see if the schoolies and the whiting are still there in numbers. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri May 29, 2015 1:40 pm

Just got back in from a couple of days at moreton. If you are going over tomorrow the school mackerel were as thick as i have seen them for years at the shark spit yellow. They were taking the spoons on paravanes trolling two at a time. We anchored up in 24 ft of water and cleaned up on pillies. They were actually feeding behind the boat, we could see 4 to 5 at a time. We bagged out in an hour and a half, 20 of the buggers and threw back about 6 as well.

The whiting were in big numbers at the yellow in front of the big sandhill but ONLY came on the bite when the tide turned to incoming. Caught 2 fish in an hour with the outgoing and 70 in an hour with the incoming. The tides are lovely for green and lazaret and mud in the morning for squire. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri May 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who came over to say hello at east coast and at moreton this past week. It's great to put faces and names to all who email me, and Simon i hope you caught some schoolies on thursday because they were thick where we were. Was hoping you'd come past! -spero

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Automated post to move this fishing report further up the list than older reports.