10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 29/5/15

Post by subeditor » Fri May 29, 2015 2:09 pm

What a great week for fishing! The wind gods have been very kind lately. We were successful with all we targeted this week -- squire at Green and the Lazaret, Squid at the small boat passage and at Green on the southern end, and the last two days were amazing. My best mate Ron (whiting master, also a squid master now he thinks) went over to Moreton for a couple of days to catch some whiting and mackerel. The whiting weren't easy until we realized they only decided to come on the bite when the tide turned. We fished the front of the small sand hill and didn't get a bite so over to the go slow yellow in front of the big sand hill where they normally are. It was an incoming tide and we managed two fish in an hour as happened before I waited for the tide to run-in and it was like somebody rang the 'lets-eat-everything-in-sight' bell. We picked up over 70 in an hour and then it stopped.

It was now a couple of hours into the run-in tide, so went to the shark spit yellow to troll for some schoolies as I know they have been there for a few weeks. They were there in droves. We had double hook ups every 5 minutes. We caught 12 and decided to anchor up and try throwing some pilchards at them. They were everywhere, we had 4 to 5 behind the boat at a time. We caught another 8 and released another 7 to 8 and then the fun began... the dolphins decided to sit behind the boat and eat every mackerel we hooked. One dolphin in particular, a massive bugger, could not stop eating. There was a boat next to us and the dolphins were taking his live baits as well. The mackerel left the area quick smart, so I started filleting the mackerel and this giant dolphin ate 15 frames. I couldn't believe it, he just sat behind the boat and ate. A very fun day.

Got back Friday after a quick stop for 4 squid at Green and home for dinner. Good fishing, Spero.
Attachments
SperoMack28515.jpg
SperoDol28515.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Repot 29/5/15

Post by sperok » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:37 pm

It was officially freezing this morning on the water. I wore a much-loved beanie (St Kilda football club of course) made by a friends late mum, long pants, two jumpers and socks. The wind chill factor had the temperature at about 7 degrees I reckon. Yuck... bring on summer. Anyway the squid are still in good numbers and good size at the southern tip of green, and the squire were not playing today. I managed two only and both were just undersize, but the damn wobbegongs were everywhere. We were home by 3pm. I'm going out tomorrow to try for some schoolies and whiting over to moreton if the weather plays its part. -Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Today was a glorious day apart from the clod s/w this morning but by 11 o clock the wind eased and the bay by this afternoon was like glass. The whiting were in great numbers at the go slow yellow in front of the big sandhill, and the schoolies were still around. Even with the wrong tide we managed 3 nice fish. Geoff from curly one that fished caught one and dear flipper was there to take it and then hung around for more. Obviously the mackerel all scattered.

On the way home we caught the pirate ship obviously trying to catch fish wide of the hope bank beacon. I bet you Johnny Depp is not having fresh whiting for dinner... anyway it was fun to see the pirate ship in moreton bay and it will be funnier to see the movie and see our moreton bay. Good fishing and yo ho ho, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:38 pm

Just got in from a couple of days out the squid are still in good numbers at green,the squire fishing was very ordinary at the lazaret 2 over 40 and one 48 bream the rest were all 30 cm fish i think the very small tides were the problem,the whiting in the rous were great size but not plentiful only 20 fish for a two hour session,so a nice feed but a little slow for the great weather that was around,never mind when the wind stops we wll do it again
good fishing spero
ps .thank you to all the great emails from fisherman who have been catching fish sometimes for the first time in the areas i mention it gives me great thrill to read your success....

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Had some excellent reports from a good friend re schoolies on mon/tuesday/wensday at moreton between the two yellows starting at the go slow yellow at the big sandhill and following the drop off all the way to the sharkspit yellow,the schoolies are moving everytime the dolphins turn up so you need to go up and down till you find them,they were taking spoons on paravanes and also pillies on 3 to 4 ganged hooks and i will say it again like a broken record NO Wire if you want to catch a few,burly up with some pillies and you will have them behind the boat,see you out there when the wind drops and good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:42 pm

For all looking for the prawn style squid jigs and the trolling boards for mackerel watertower bait and tackle have just got some in and the new boards for paravaning are a little cheaper which is good news..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:10 am

Finally the drizle stopped and the damn temperatures have dropped so it must be school mackerel time ,a couple of my younger friends who can put up with the cold and the westerlies cleaned up on schoolies during the week over at moreton and got a good report of smaller ones showing up in the rainbow as well,they should be legal size in the next few weeks and months,next spot that will have to a try will be the rous at the 4 reds,looks like not a bad week comming up so will be out there getting a fresh feed.till then good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:34 pm

Well it was not the day or the weather that was predicted so changed plans and decided to stay close get some squid and a few squire at green,it was terrible weather drizzle and miserably cold..managed 3 squid in 2 hours they were very skitish and the lovely south easterly decide to blow just as the tide was changing manage two fish one very nice sweetlip 45 cm and a squire just legal i was going to fish a liitle longer till this blind yacht decide to come past so close h=e snapped both lines and then decide to go off because i asked him if the bay was not big enough for him,what can you do some people have no idea.hopefully the weather gets alittle better in the next few days but i am not holding my breath.good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:41 pm

hi jim jim
i actually get nothing at all ,i try to find things that work and are a little cheaper to help fisherman save some money and catch some fish eg,the new paravanes are 10 to 15 dollars cheaper so i tell all i can to save some money the same with the squid jigs the fact that the tiger prawn pattern works and are fairly cheap again just trying to help and save,hard to believe but i get nothing at all ,it also happens to be around the corner from where i live so i know what they carry..thanks spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:35 pm

Decided on a fish today but was not keen with the s/w this morning and the showers out wide so we decide to hang around peel and catch a few squid and try for some squire with the outgoing tide,not much biting at all the squid were like hens teeth managed only 2 and they were two hours apart did not see any following so i dont know if they haved moved on or the tide was not to there liking,we managed a couple of big bream and dropped only one nice squire and that was all she wrote,the afternoon turned out to be a dead calm but the whiting master did not bring his medecation so we came home,hopefully wensday might be better if i can get over to the sandhills for some schoolies..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:02 am

Just got a really nice photo from david banks who reads our column of his first 80 cm snapper in the bay while drifting with plastics at harrys artificial reef with the family on tuesday at the start of the incomming tide,and the reports have been all good of nice size fish from harrys for the last few weeks,i think its going to be a good winter season in the bay.....spero
ps.my two 40cm together were the same size..at least they all taste good..