10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 3/7/15

Post by subeditor » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:56 am

It was cold in the morning early in the week and Tuesday wasn't the best, but Wednesday turned out really nice and I decided to pop out to see if the whiting were around in the Rous. I was not disappointed with the quality and the size of them, and it's the biggest we have seen this year. Hopefully as we get further into winter the quality should stay consistent.

The seas turned to glass with a little northeasterly with the turn of the tide, and I decided to see if the squire would come on around the eastern side of Green. I managed 2 lovely fish and dropped a couple so it was a nice afternoon. The only problem was a yacht that decided to turn 15ft from the back of my boat and take out my lines, I really don't understand the need to come so close to anchored fishing boats anyway! He was lucky there were children aboard so all I could say was,"Have a nice day".

Good fishing,
Spero.
Attachments
SperoWhiting3715.JPG
SperoSquire3715.JPG

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 3/7/15

Post by sperok » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Lets hope the weather folk are in form and on the mark with their predictions. It's looking very very good from Saturday afternoon till Wednesday so I think a few days out there should be fun. Schoolies and whiting at the sandhills and squire and snapper in the close in reefs and islands -- why would you want to fish anywhere else? -Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

Just got back in from a few days out in the bay and what glorious weather we have had! On Saturday I went over to the sandhills to get ready for the school mackerel session on Sunday with the incoming tide but decided to troll in front of the yellow marker at the entrance to the blue hole. The result was 6 nice schoolies which were unexpected as they have not been there for a few weeks. Then it was up to the shark spit yellow to spend the night and wait till the next day.

The night brought lots of slimy mackerel to the light so managed a few dozen for future bait. Dead calm night and in the morning the s/w came in a little stronger than was comfortable but the tide was good for schoolies. Got the pillies out, put them in the water and you would not believe it -- FLIPPER and his friends turned up. One fish on and flipper had it for breakfast. I got annoyed and decided to troll instead away from flipper. Managed two nice fish in front of the yellow and that was it. Went back to have a look and flipper was still there pestering the other boats that were there.

Whiting was on the menu next so went down to the yellow at the big sandhill and the whiting were thick, as were the boats. Interstingly the bulk of the whiting were in 19-20ft of water and most boats were fishing the shallows. Got the limit and decided to go to mud for the filleting and to put out some live whiting for a squire/snapper. Caught one 60cm snapper and a couple of 40s and that was all. Had a good night's sleep and came home. Some people say there are no fish in the bay, but even on one of the busiest weekends there were enough fish for a feed for all. –Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Thought I would pass on some information I received from Fisheries today regarding traps for octopus in the bay. It follows on from some advice I gave a young fisherman a few weeks ago on how to catch these tasty creatures. I told him a 2-4" diameter pipe, metal or ceramic, seal one end and tie a rope to the other end, put it down wherever you think octopus are and lift up every few hours or overnight, as they tend to go and hide in dark holes or crevices. This is how anglers catch octopus all around the world. Well, the young bloke made his tube up, went down to Victoria Point and Fisheries turned up and told him there is no limit on how many he can catch or a size, but he can't use any kind of a trap. It was a surprise to me because I had never heard or seen anything in writing regarding octopus regulations. Had I missed seeing this rule somewhere?

No, as it turns out. I received a phone call today and was advised that yes, even though there's no regulation in writing anywhere, you cannot use any kind of trap for octopus except for crab traps. You can spear octopus and such but no traps. So there you go -- you learn something new everyday. So no tubes! -Spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:47 pm

A couple of good reports this week of some nice squire /snapper from mud island on the two freezing days wednesday/thursday. Too cold for me, I was freezing all day, but the wind that was forecast did not eventuate and there were glassy conditions.

A friend went and caught a couple of dozen nice whiting at the rous channel, and the report of schoolies at the rainbow at the welsby light were encouraging as the size has improved from a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully this week will bring a little warmer weather so we can get a feed of fresh fish on the table. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Very nice day on the bay today and it looks like calm weather till sunday,decided to see where the whiting were so went to the junction of the rous and small boat passage,no other boats were there so i was a little concerned but i should not have been the whiting were thick and excellent quality 45 in an hour and a half ,the family and good friend that is comming for fresh fish and chips (adam , marine electric wizard ADL marine) are all very excited as they all love whiting,tried for some squid on the way home at green but did not see anything and there was no schoolies in the deep holes at the small boat passage but i did not really put much time trying,today was whiting and we will see what tommorow brings as the tides are nice for an afternoon squire session..good fishing spero