10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 25/7/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:14 pm

The weather played the part in the last few days, and the quality and size of the whiting in the Rous and small boat passage was exceptional, as good as I have seen for many years. On the low tide they were in the deeper water around 16 to 18ft and then moved up to the shallow water 10 to 12 ft with the tide rise. Squire were also in good numbers and quality at green, mud and the artificial reef is fishing extremely well. The squid have very quiet around Green Island but then again I have heard there has been lots of netting going on around green at the moment with lots of squid in the nets. Still, I picked up a couple of arrows at the Rous the other day so as one species goes another comes in.

I didn't get a chance to go for some schoolies this week but a couple of reports from reliable fishermen tell me the reds at the end of the rous and welsby light in the Rainbow channel is producing some nice fish paravaning, so good fishing, spero
IMG_0324_1565.jpg
IMG_0329_1577.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 25/7/15

Post by sperok » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:05 am

Just wanted to mention a couple of things regarding whiting fishing because a few fishermen find it hard to catch some. Nine times out of 10 they're using baits that aren't ideal. In my opinion nothing beats live blood worms but they're expensive and not always available when you want them. Peeled prawns are good and squid is OK when they are biting really well, but my favourite of all is the red cured beachworms. I have used these for many years, and considering the price and the amount of fish I catch with them, red cured beachworms are the most economical bait to use. The other good thing they stay on the hook.

When chasing whiting I used to use a running sinker with the hook dragging on the bottom. That was until an old timer told me to use the good old paternoster rig with the hook 2-3" off the bottom. It was the best change I ever made, hope this helps a little. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:56 pm

Quick tip for anyone wanting a few squid - they are on at wellington point jetty. There are lots of them and all big tigers, and you don't even need a boat. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:45 pm

Fished the last couple of days for squire and whiting around green and the rous. The squire were pretty good at green on thursday, managed 3 nice fish and interestingly there were also small schoolies around all undersize. The whiting today were of great quality but not numbers, it was hard work getting 30 fish. There were so many boats around i thought it was xmas holidays,over 20 boats at harrys and over 50 looking for whiting, but if you had the patience you'd be eating fish for dinner. The weather looks glorious for tonight and tomorow so i would think there will be double that amount of boats. Green provided a couple of squid this afternoon as well, but nothing to what it's been like. Good fishing out there and be careful as there will be lots of traffic on the water. -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:25 pm

Looking back over the past years' reports, the lazaret for squire/snapper and the rous for whiting and the last reds for squid and mackerel, so the weekend looks promising for an overnighter. Hopefully we will be eating some fresh fish over the next few days if the weather gods are true to there predictions. Funny how history repeats itself over the years.

I recieved a lovely email from a fellow fisher who has not fished for many years but is looking at re starting around green. Great to get some nice feedback. Good fishing -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Not a bad week end lots of boats on the water,and the tides are very small without much run so the squire were not playing hard at the lazaret on Saturday afternoon managed 2 nice fish a 60 and a 45 but it was hard work. A big arrow squid turned up as well. The whiting keep being excellent quality at the small boat passage/rous and they seem to be on the bite, with the incoming tide rather then the outgoing. I managed two nice big tiger squid at the first of the four reds at the rous, but you need to be on guard as you can drift into the no-go zone for fishing. Lot's of weed so did not manage to try to hard for any school mackerel but not a bad feed for the family. Good fishing -spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Decided to have a fish at the lazaret on friday afternoon and was not too bad. The tides were not perfect but the weather was, dead calm which is the way i and my wife like it. Got 3 nice squire all between 40 to 55 which is about the perfect size and also a couple of arrow squid as well. Tried for some schoolies out the front of the lazaret and managed 2 both under size so i am not sure whats going on with the schoolies on this side of the bay. They have gone quiet in the rainbow and the rous reds as well, maybe we need another cold snap.

Recieved a great email from a follower of the column who has not been out for a long time but sent me a couple of nice photos of squire and a snapper from green, so very Very happy for Alan. I will be waiting for more photos in the future. Good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Nice day on the bay. The Whiting Master and two friends joined me for a whiting session at the small ship passage. It was hard going in the morning with all the boats catching one here and there all the way to the Rous entrance, but they came on really well at the end of the run in tide and the start of the outgoing tide. We caught around 70 fish, and all on the boat were very pleased with the day out. The whiting were also thick at the go slow yellow at the big sandhill at Moreton so plenty of fish on the dinner tables tonight for all the boats that were after the tasty little critters today. I''ll need day or two for some maintenance on the boat, and by then hopefully we'll be back to calm seas. Good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:48 pm

I love the weather forcasting. The prediction for today (Saturday): 10-15 knots, and their own website says 1-2 knots, and for the last 3 hours it's been CALM CALM CALM. As one reader just said, what can you do? You have to listen to them.

Many years ago a fisherman wrote to a fishing writer and said, "I just bought a boat, can you tell me with what sort of weather forecast is OK to go fishing?" The answer from the writer was, "get up in the morning, hitch your boat on, go to the boat ramp, put the boat in the water, putt around to the exit of the marina or the headland and if it's calm, go fishing! If not, go back to the ramp, get your boat out and go home -- because if you only went out when the forecast was for calm conditions, you'd probably go fishing only once or twice a year".

Realistically, all you can do is gather all the info available, and maybe learn some local know-how on conditions. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Nice day on the bay ,if you need a feed of fresh whiting they are in big numbers at the start of the small boat passage,and all the way thru to the rous.and the weather does not look bad for the week for a couple of squire sessions as well..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:21 pm

I will be posting pictures and such but if anyone wants a snapper squire or school mackerel they were in big ammounts at green this morning friday ..spero