10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 31/8/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 am

What a Friday morning it was! The weather didn't look great but I decided to go to green for a squire fish as the tide was high at 8am and, as everybody reading this column knows, outgoing and big tides are my favorite. Well it was one of the best fishing sessions ever. Started at 9 am and by 10:30am I had one nice snapper, 3 nice squire school mackerel and tailor, and I was catching and releasing for the next 2 hours after that. 15 squire /snapper and schoolies were following the baits coming to the back of the boat. You don't get many days like that.

Interestingly, one snapper I kept had the biggest octopus in its stomach I have ever seen [see photo]. The octopus was whole with not a bite mark on it. I actually put it out back as bait and caught the biggest wobbegong I have seen.

So get out to green island for a fish! good fishing, spero
SperoSnap.jpg
SperoSnapOct.jpg
SperoSchool.jpg
SperoSnap4.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 31/8/15

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:05 am

Looks like we might be in luck with the weather over the weekend if the weather gurus are correct. I'd never bet on it though because today we were suppose to get 0 -0.2mL of showers. 0.2 ml, what is that anyway? If I don't stop i might blow a blood vessel or two.

The tides are ok so I would think the whiting will be good for the small boat passage and the squire/snapper will be worth a try around green /mud and the lazaret. I am going to see if there are any school mackerel over at shark spit and squid in the blue hole. Hopefully we all get to catch some fish for dinner. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:23 pm

The bad news did not see a schoolie at sharspit or anywhere on the western side of moreton island. Lots of whiting at the go slow yellow at the big sandhill. The school mackerel were in big numbers on the eastern side of st helena island but out of the 12 hooked only two were over 50, the rest were all 40 to 45 and some as small as 35. Interesting why they are there, i have not caught them there before. The snapper fishing was not great with the smaller tides but I picked up a 68 cm on sunday afternoon with the last incoming tide and dropped another one, so the numbers were not there but the size was fantastic. Till the wind eases, good fishing, spero

P.S. to some of the skippers of sailboats, surely you can go tack somewhere else rather then 20ft from anchored fishing boats. And to the fishing boats who zoom past at a great rate of knots next to anchored fishing boats, WHY??

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:47 pm

The fact thats its windy thought i would pass on a story told in a publication of GEISHA AND CHERRY BLOSSOM LINE FISHING BOOK (original gut lines).1st september 1937....
PRAWN BAIT (how to peel a prawn)
Place your left foot firmly across body immediatly behind head,lay whiskers straight with caressive pulls,then taking head between finger and thumb of the right hand give a gentle but merciless turn of the wrist from left to right,and wrench off head.Now remove foot,lift bodywith left hand and insert right hand thumbnail just underthe first left hand leg of the prawnand with a sweeping peeling,bias-way action directedtowards the postericalendof the prawn,allow the body to twist or roll between the left first finger and thumband there you are peeled.....
i love this book i will write a few funny stories when the winds are blowing...spero

harry17

Post by harry17 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:34 pm

Hi Spero, looks like you really enjoy trying not only the old favourites but new areas and tricks, i really enjoy reading your reports. If you get a chance I'd appreciate if you could share your knowledge and techniques on catching squid. I have picked up a few around the little sand hills, no luck in the rous and never tried the blue hole. Tides and depth insights would be helpful,
cheers paul

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Paul, glad you enjoy the reports. With squid jigs i use are 3.0 or 3.5 red and orange tiger prawn patterns. There are some lovely cheap ones around the $3.95 to $5.95 mark. I have found no difference to the million dollar ones at all. My dad used to make his own squid jigs with 1.0 hooks soldered together and wrap white cloth around the wooden shaft. I also use the old style metal jigs and put a pillie or a garfish on, but sometimes the mackerel smash them.

Regarding areas of weed banks with sand areas in between, green island was fantastic this year especially in 3-4ft of water, as were the two channels where the go slow yellow is in the rous. They have quietened down a little but I picked up two a couple of days ago at green. Up past tangalooma on the shallow weed banks are always good. The rous on the last green to the first red heading out towards the bar (watch the no fishing line between the green and red) browns gutter and days gutter are really good, as is rainbow channel where all the shallow channels empty out. Peel and bird and goat island are also worth a try, as is the start of the small ship channel entrance where the weed banks start.

I always have a jig on a float at the back of the boat and then cast and retrieve with another jig. I also always use different colours because some days they prefer different shapes and colours. I vary the the speed of retrieve as well because sometimes they really like fast retrieve. I find shallow ground sometimes much better. 3-4ft is my favourite, as i always have a jig floating when ever i am fishing for whiting.

i find the tide for squid best about an hour each side of the low or high tides... hope this helps a little. -spero