10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 16/9/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:12 am

Looked like today was going to be the best day for a fish this week so off I went on my own as my friend was under the weather. I headed out early this morning for a look-see, paravaned once past green towards the small boat passage and picked up 3 nice schoolies in 7m and then nothing till inside the small ship channel in the deep gutters. There were as many mackerel as you could catch, the problem was all of them were 40cm to 45cm. Not one keeper.

The whiting with the incoming tide were like hen's teeth. I managed 6, all very large fish, so I left and came back to green for some squire fishing with the outgoing tide but the damn northerly came in. I changed plans and tried for some squid. I got 2 nice squid but that was all (my wife is very happy!) but they were very wary and I only caught them on their long tentacles. I always find that happens when they're not in an attacking mode. So all up it was good day with fresh fish for dinner. Good fishing, spero
SperoSquid.jpg
SperoMacks.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 16/9/15

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Good day today, the whiting were in good numbers when you found them just on the drop off at the chain banks, and some very large tiger squid as well. There are some really nice schoolies swimming around so a floating pillie is a good idea. We managed two nice ones while fishing for whiting. Looks like some windy days ahead. Good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:42 am

Wind looks like easing over the next week so time to get out there again. Sandcrabs are in plentiful numbers on either side of the leads out of the Wynnum Manly harbour and some chopper tailor are surfacing as well. We will see what's on the bite over the next few days and report back. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Nice morning! The wind didn't go to the s/e, it went from s/w to n/e so a bit of a pain trying to fish the last few hours of the outgoing tide at green. The squire were not playing at all. I managed two, 38 and a 40 cm in three hours, and only dropped a couple. The squid were like hens teeth at the southern end of green -- I tried the early full tide in the shallows and the last couple of hours of the run-out and didn't see one.

The rain yesterday might have flushed out all the horrible critters as there were so many wobbegong and eels today. I have never caught so many before at green. Let's hope the next few days things improve. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:15 pm

Plenty of boats and plenty of fish. The whiting were good at the chain banks but only before the tide turned, then it was like the alarm bell rang and they stopped feeding. There were also some lovely big tiger squid, and we got two nice schoolies paravaning out past green at the 23 ft drop off. Did not see any around the small boat passage today. Looks like perfect weather next two to three days so a couple of overnighters are on the cards. Till then good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Top day out on the bay. The whiting at the chain banks are not thick at all but managed 3 dozen. I did not go up to the rous where the small boat passage meet but there were 23 boats all clumped together fishing for whiting so i assume they were up there. We also got some nice tiger squid at the entrance to the small boat passage where the weed banks start with the incoming tide, but the supprise today was i paravaned back all the way to green island and approaching the southern tip yellow marker i left the paravanes in in 22 ft of water and we got smashed with 6 schoolies around the 65 cm mark. This was between the yellow at green and the red at king island. Unbelievable! Never would have done that with the old fast boat. So a great day on the bay and the weather is looking good for another few days. good fishing, spero