10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 8/10/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:52 pm

The weather was fantastic the last 3 days and the fishing was very good as well. the whiting are in big numbers again at the start of the small boat passage and the broad mackerel are there feeding as well. My suggestion is put out a whiting or a pillie on a float about 3 ft down when you are drifting, and a squid jig as the big tiger squid are in the same area.

The school mackerel at green are hit and miss. Picked up 6 on Monday lunchtime nothing on Tuesday and 4 today, so it's worth a go on the incoming tide. I tried for some squire both afternoons but the smaller tides are not working for them at the moment. Got only two of size, just have to wait a week or so.

The photo below of the back of the boat was taken on Tuesday morning. I left my berth and by the time I left the rock wall at the harbour entrance i could not see a thing. The photo is 100 yes outside the rock wall, I have never seen fog come in that fast. It was quite scary!

good fishing, spero
IMG_0377_1633.jpg
IMG_0380_1632.jpg
IMG_0376_1636.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 8/10/15

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:32 pm

really nice day on the bay, no wind. The whiting were in big numbers at the entrance to the small boat channel and the tiger squid came on at slack water and the broad mackerel came thru about 9 am and they were very big fish. They both took small live whiting on 3 x5.0 ganged hooks. It looks like the broad mackerel are around all the deeper holes through the small boat passage so keep a pilchard or a small whiting dangling on a float while catching whiting. Good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:45 am

Nice weekend in the bay. Saturday was dead calm. We fished the entrance to the small boat passage (half tide gutter) and the whiting were thick. The size wasn't great but excellent for snapper bait. We didn't get any broad mackerel but saw a couple hooked and lost next to us, both times bitten off. The trick over the years when not using wire is to use 4 gang hooks and only use the last three. The mackerel in the bay don't seem to mind the hook but hate wire.
Went over to lazaret for a fish with a perfect tide but the n/e was too much so we came to green for the night. Got a few small arrow squid which was a surprise.
I was told there were some nice schoolies in the deep holes in the rous in front of fishermans gutter, and we got 4 in the 22ft mark past green island, so they are still around. We trolled in front of the lazaret with a perfect incoming tide and not a touch, so will have to see where they surface next. Good fishing, spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:02 am

hi regested today great report on the bay stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Not bad out in the bay today. The whiting are still in big numbers at the start of small boat passage but the broad mackerel have gone, replaced by 3 to 4 ft sharks, which took every live whiting and live garfish i put out. I am pretty sure now that the other day when one of the readers of this column was out there and lost a couple of big fish, the culprits were sharks. That's probably why he was bitten off both times and not big mackerel, as we both had originally thought. I have been told there have been some nice schoolies in the start of the rous and rainbow channel but i have not been there to see for myself. I will be going there as soon as the next patch of fine weather arrives. We trolled back around green today and got 3 undersize schoolies but nothing of size. Until next time, good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:34 pm

For everyone reading these reports of the last years you would have seen that in june/july i have normally not been in town but at the calagary stampede,and fishing the mighty bow river for extra large brown and rainbow trout with two of the most down to earth fisherman i have had the pleasure to fish with brett walters and don stewart,don very sadly passed away a few years back and brett and i have fished the bow for the last 12 years and he and his lovely wife becky have decided to come and see some real fishing in moreton bay,so hopefully the weather plays its part and i can show brett the wonderful moreton bay with the many fish it has to offer,as it is a damn long way to come for bad weather and no fishing.will keep you up to date on what our friends from overseas think of our wonderful bay and fish ..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:56 pm

My friend Brett arrived, and today (Sunday) turned out to be a nice day. We went out and the whiting were thick. Brett had a great time -- he couldn't stop catching the little critters. For a Canadian he is not a bad fisherman, once he got his feel of whiting fishing.

No mackerel turned up at all and no sharks either, but it was good to see many dugongs swimming around us most of the day. We got a couple of tiger squid as well in the same area so i had a very excited fisherman. His first whiting and his first squid in our wonderful moreton bay.

The n/e came in so we didn't stay out for a snapper fish. Hopefully it will calm down in the next few days so we can get out there again.

Had a report from jeff who said not a single mackerel was found over at shark spit, so i think the best area to try for schoolies will be the start of the rous from the deep gutters in front of fishermans gutter, the four reds and brown gutter as well plus the rainbow channel. Good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:49 pm

Great weekend on the bay. Our Canadian friends were over the moon with our bay, they caught their whiting which were in great numbers again in the small boat passage. The squire were in good numbers but only around the 35 to 40 cm mark, as were the sweetlip in the lazaret gutter. We got a couple of schoolies in front of the lazaret as well. The crabber came past and we bought 10 lovely sandies, so we had tempura whiting, deep fried sandcrabs (should be on everybody's bucket list), and pan fried squire on the boat. Our Canadian friends loved it, as did we being out on the bay with two good friends. Tom and Betty are off to see Tangalooma for a couple of days and I'm sure they will love moreton island as well. Its funny how we forget how fantastic our bay is until visitors remind us. The weather looks like being very windy for the week, so till next time good fishing, spero

P.S. Becky and Brett i think will be coming back.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:01 pm

I said i would not mention these people again but sometimes i cant help it... the arrow folk say no wind wednesday /thursday and our wonderful BOM site says 20knots! I give up.

Michaelp82

Post by Michaelp82 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi spero which small boat passage do you fish around mate. Just curious I fish the one from the port of Brisbane and the rous all the time and I never seen the mackerel there

ICantEnglish

Post by ICantEnglish » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:50 pm

Sperok, just wanted to say a big thank you for your reports, they are well informed and frequent. I don't get to go out on the bay as much as I would like, full time job, 3 small children, need I say more but with your reports at least I have a chance of taking home 1 or 2 fish after a trip. Thanks again.

Michaelp82, I think it's the small boat passage to the Rous Channel but Sperok said the mackerel we in the deeper holes.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:45 pm

First "i can't English", thank you, just trying to help fishermen who are not lucky enough to get there often take a fish home.

Michael the school mackerel and the broad mackerel are not on the surface, they normally feed on the bottom so it's a matter of knowing where they are over the years and what they feed on. Schoolies and broad mackerel will feed a lot more on bigger fish than the spotties, and that's probably because of the time of the year they are in the bay. In summer we get lots of whitebait and frogmouth pillies in the bay, and the spotties school them up to the surface to feed on. 99 times out of 100 the schoolies and broad don't. I have only seen school mackerel school up bait twice in 40 years.

The small boat passage i mention is the entrance between the chain banks and maroom bank which is on the southern side of the rous. The schoolies at the moment are in the deeper holes in all the rous all the way to the last 4 reds at the rous, the small boat passage, browns gutter, days gutter, rainbow channel and the big area in front of the hanlon light of the lazaret gutter. We have also been catching them in the channel between green island and victoria point in the last couple of months. I am fairly lucky that i can trawl a spoon on a paravane wherever i go so i can find where the schoolies and broad mackerel are sitting. Hope this helps a little, and hope you get a few. If there is anything else i can help with just email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au. Good fishing, spero