10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 12/11/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:38 pm

The bay weather has been on and off but as you can see from the pictures we've had some glorious days in between. Jeff Roses (fishing paparazzi) took some shots while I was trying to hide in the small boat passage, must have thought it was another whale.

If you like catching crabs they are in excellent numbers in front of the wynnum manly foreshore, just remember don't put your crab pots on top of the pro fisherman pots. There's plenty all over the place. The reports are coming thick and fast on the size and numbers, and a good friend was kind enough to put a few in a bucket for me and they were very nice (thank you Shane).

Over the next week or so the old girl is getting her bottom cleaned and a paint touch up, so if you have any news on where the fish are let me know at sperok@ozemail.com.au so we can help anyone trying to put a fresh fish on the table. good fishing, spero
SperoWeb2.jpg
SperoWeb3.jpg
SperoWeb1.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 12/11/15

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:01 am

I know you might smell like roses but it meant to say jeff ross....spero

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Haha! I'm sure Jeff smells lovely, maybe we should leave the spelling as-is. :wink:

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:19 am

I've been accused of smelling, but never like roses.
Message from Jeff: "Caught a good feed of whiting in the rous & the small ships channel (Friday), the size ranged from average to good. The best came from your spot, drifting from the chain bank south with the last of the run in. Came across some birds working behind Green (haven't seen that for a while) the tide had turned & the NE was getting up, so didn't have the time to investigate, but I think I'll dust off the spin gear. See you on the water soon. Cheers Jeff."
Many thanks Jeff, be out there as soon as the boat is spit and polished. - spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:37 am

HI THANKS for the report going whiting fishing wednesday hopefully and will have a flooter out for macks stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:00 pm

So i should not worry about dinner, 12 whiting fillets (hand scaled only and no bones in the fillets -- not the ones mushed behind a fast moving boat) and a mackerel fillet skin on for Thursday dinner. I will be waiting. Good fishing, spero

ICantEnglish

Post by ICantEnglish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi Spero, I was reading in the October issue of FM-QLD that one can chase Yellowtail Kingfish in the deep reefs in the Rainbow Channel and around the infrastructure at Dunwich from this time of year for the next few months. Methods suggested in FM were jigging and live baiting. Have you ever caught Kingfish in Moreton Bay? Care to take up the challenge when your boat is fixed (just a thought)? I'm going to try when I get the opportunity next.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:52 pm

No, I've never targetted them specifically but have caught them in the rainbow many years ago when they were feeding on the surface. I have also have caught them in front of the deep channel past the boat ramp with live fish and whole fresh squid.

The best place i have caught them is on the western side of moreton island from tangalooma jetty to the wrecks and out into the channel, also on the deep drop-off at shark spit with an outgoing tide. I target black kings more then yellow kingfish with whole sandcrabs for bait around the shipping beacons. -spero

ICantEnglish

Post by ICantEnglish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Thanks Spero, I wasn't aware of those other spots to target YT kingfish in Moreton Bay. By black kingfish are you referring to Cobia? I appreciate the info.

[I'm sure Spero does mean cobia - Nicole (Admin)]

stanau

Post by stanau » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:05 am

hi went yesterday got 28 med to small whiting on chain banks got busted off once while float lining glassed out morning stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:42 am

Lots of sharks on the banks at the moment, that's whats been busting everyone. The big broad (grey) mackerel have gone from the area. Looked like a great day out there, also it looks like the water temp is perfect for the spotties and i heard a report that some were caught outside green. I have not seen photos though, and until I see them I cant confirm. Still, it's the right time and weather for them to surface. My boat will be back in the water on monday so will be out there looking for them. Good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Good news, a good fisherman (Banksie) has sent through photos of the spotties in the bay. Hooray! They are in the same place as last year which is really odd, but it's good news that they are close in again. Please everyone give each other some space and don't go hurtling into the schools -- stay out a little and everyone can catch a fish and have some fun this spotty season. For first time chasers for spotties, no wire will catch you more fish. Have fun and good fishing, spero

P.S. To push my own barrel, my slugs that i had made are for sale at Watertower Bait and Tackle. They're fairly cheap so get a couple!

luke21

Post by luke21 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Hello mate i was going to ring you and see if they are in yet but after reading i dont need to. And i also got a new phone and lost your number. I am going out sunday to have a look if i get some will let you know. Talk soon luke.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:27 pm

I hear cassie caught the fish young luke..obviously the force was not with you..