10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 20/11/15

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:53 am

Yep, the spotties are in the bay, confirmed for me by David Banks who caught some nice ones on Wednesday wide of green. Looks like it's going to be a good season being this early, and looking at the size they look like the early run of females. Let's hope they stay longer and more spread out then last year, time will tell.

My old girl will be back in the water on Monday, and all going well we'll be able to go and catch a couple. The whiting have been in good numbers in the small boat passage of chain banks as well, so with the weather heating up it should be a good summer of fishing. Good fishing, spero
SperoWeb1.jpg
SperoWeb2.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 20/11/15

Post by sperok » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:19 pm

I have had many emails from fellow fisherman re set up and the best way to catch spotty mackerel in the bay,the best method and the best fun is seeing the birds above the schools of baitfish beeing kept together by the mackerel.
I use a spinning rod with a 450 to 550 penn spinning reel with 6 to 8 kilo line ,no swivel and no wire i normally do a double line about 3 ft or attach a 10 or 12kilo trace,35 gr slugs i find the best and sometimes even smaller depending what they are feeding on,i mostly use a treble but these days with a limmit of 5 fish i use a 4 to 5.0 single hook as it is easier to release the fish,the other way is to float out pillies around the feeding schools you will catch your fair share this way but not as good as throwing slugs,paravaning is also good fun and works well when you cant get to the schools fast,and the fish sometimes are a little deeper.
Lots of fisherman some times run over to where ever they see dirds feeding and lots of times they are bonnito or tuna and get frustrated thinking the mackerel are not bitting,the way to tell the difference between mackerel and tuna is the way the birds are flying above the fish,tuna travel fast smash the bait and keep swimming with the birds chasing or the other hand the spottys travel much slower and will normally swim in a circle and hold the bait in one spot hence the birds look like they a re doing backstroke as they need to stay above the bait and the fish,you can see this from a distance so before zooming up to the school have a look it will save you some fuel for the day..hope this is a clear as mud...good fishing spero

tangalooma

Changes to Tangalooma Island Resort's Casual Visitor Policy

Post by tangalooma » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Apologies to admin if this post is not appropriate - feel free to delete if so. We have posted this below as a courtesy announcement to the Moreton Bay fishing community.

From 1 December 2015, Tangalooma Island Resort on Moreton Island will require all visitors to have an official booking prior to arrival. The new policy coincides with the introduction of a new pre-booked 'Casual Day Visitor Pass'.

To avoid disappointment upon arrival, we are encouraging all members of SEQ boating, camping, and watersports communities that frequent the resort to familiarise themselves with this policy change here http://goo.gl/b38gOi

Regards

Tangalooma Island Resort Management

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Thats what happens when old smelly fisherman go into the resorts! Oh well, will have to go downwind of the resort. I wonder if there is a exclusion zone on the water, we will need to find out... spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:46 am

Good to see our friends the arrow people showing 5 knots n/w and its blowing 25 knots s/e. Their predictions are so good some times, maybe they need to update their logarithm numbers and predictions. spero

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:00 am

I take it by 'arrow people' you mean Seabreeze?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 pm

YEP nicole you're spot on... i don't have a problem with seeing the weather forecasts being wrong every now and then, and we all understand it's a prediction not a fact, and most times they get it correct. BUT at least change it if you can see it's completely wrong! Surely all you need to do is look at the current beacon readings and see it's blowing 20-25 knots currently, so why would you leave your site as is saying 5 knots north westerly? That's the part that is annoying, not getting the predictions incorrect. thanks spero