10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
subeditor
Admin

Report 27/11/15

Post by subeditor » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Could not help myself, had to go out Wednesday even with the wind up a little to see where these spotties were, there were 7 boats out there looking and a couple of boats told me they had a few but the fish were not staying up much. I can see why, the bait was very deep and the schools were not big at all 5 to 10 fish only.
The area that most of the bait was sitting was in the deeper water 40 to 50 ft but the fish I caught were around the hope bank beacon drop off, so I think we need a few dead calm days for the fish to school up the bait and then they will stay up much longer. Anyway, the good thing is they are in the bay and we are having tempura fresh mackerel for dinner,love this bay.
On a funny side I saw a gentleman in a kayak picking up crab pots this afternoon in choppy seas and after seeing the size of the bull sharks eating scraps next to a friends boat the other day I would be a little concerned and I would also be careful letting young children swim at Green in the dirty water at the moment or jumping over the side to cool down in the area from the manly harbor leads to green island...

Good fishing,
Spero.
IMG_0397_1653.jpg

stanau

Re: Report 27/11/15

Post by stanau » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 am

yes i am waiting and waiting for calm seas thanks for the report stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 am

The weather was not bad on saturday blowing s/e around 10 to 14 knots, so decided on spotty mackerel fishing on the way through to peel and lazaret for the night, which is nice in a s/e.

The spotties were around again in the area around hope bank beacon we picked up three on the way through, and did not see another fish all the way to lazaret. The squire were on as soon as the tide turned and we got 3 lovely fish 45cm and 3 smaller ones around 35cm. We decided to come back to green around 4 pm and you would not believe it -- the spotties were everywhere. They were up and feeding on whitebait and no other boat in sight. We got another 5, dropped a few, lost a couple of lures and it was a wonderful afternoon back to green.

With all that luck i decided on throwing my pots over as everyone has been catching crabs in the area, but of course i managed two females overnight and mud over a freshly painted boat (i hate crabbing). So here i was back in the marina washing the boat down and a very good friend (shane) coming back in brings me a favourite a live octopus he has snagged in his crab pot. Happy days! Charcoal octopus for lunch with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh oregano and lemon juice, yippee! Good fishing, spero

P.S. i was told the spotties are also in the shipping channels and especially pearl channel on Wednesday and thick.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:00 am

As expected, as soon as the spotties show up the winds start howling. What can you do but get all the gear ready (again), spit and polish the lead slugs, put some new line on the spinning reels, oil the reel seats and the runners and get out there when the breeze drops. Sunday does not look as bad as expected, and Monday and Tuesday (according to the long term forecasts and the isobars) look like being the pick of the days. it will be interesting to see if they move into the wind and get further into the bay towards peel island. Until next week hopefully it will be good fishing, spero

P.S.
i laughed very loudly the other day when i read that Chinese spies had hacked into our BOM site. How bad must their weather forecasters be?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:24 am

Sunday morning the wind is not too bad and the mackerel are up and feeding (our swimming champion) is out there catching them as we speak so looks like a good week for the spotties. i am hoping to get out there this week after visiting the vampire collection folk first up. Keep you informed, spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:03 am

thanks for the report tuesday i hope see you out there

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:05 pm

just got back from going out this morning not comfortable but fishable. Got 5 very nice big spotties and 7 schoolies, all 45 cm schoolies (wish they would hurry and grow a little).

The spotties did not come to the surface at all today except one patch of 5 fish, and i managed one with a slug the others were all caught on paravane and one i caught on the way home half kilometer outside green.

Interestingly, the water temp has dropped quite a bit with the south east winds and this could be the reason they are staying down. it took all day for the temp to go back to 76 degrees (it was down to 72 this morning).

There is plenty of bait but is sitting very low close to the bottom, so we need a couple of glassy and hot days to get them to school up the bait fish. good fishing, spero

P.S. 'vampire people' are the blood collection agency (as i am the hardest person to find a vein) and this morning after 4 attempts they had to cut my finger and squeeze it out... not much fun. And the 'swimming champion' is steve holland (hes not a bad fisherman either)maybe...

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Ok there is no reason not to come home without a feed tomorrow. Today the spotties were up and about in front of the lazaret gutter and plenty of hit and miss but plenty of fish to go around. Obviously they moved into the south easter and have gone very close to peel island, they are not staying up for long and i would suggest to the boats chasing them not to go helter skelter at them as being in such a small area they start to spook very quickly.

The whiting were thick at the small boat passage of the chain banks. 23 boats in one small area this morning. i stopped middle of the day after bagging out on mackerel and picked up 2 dozen quite easily and the size is much better.

This afternoon i stopped for an afternoon fish for squire and was not disappointed, got two really nice fish - a 45 and a 60cm. Also dropped a couple for good measure. i was very happy as it was not my favourite tide but i had the wind in the same direction which was very good.

For anyone not wanting to go to far for spotties they surfaced this afternoon on the eastern side of green in 29ft of water from 2.30pm onwards. i left at 5 pm and they were still feeding.

so good luck and good fishing, spero

[attachment=0]IMG_0448_1690.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_0445_1688.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_0448_1690.jpg
IMG_0445_1688.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:06 pm

another great report thanks great that whiting on at the chain banks what bait do you use bloodworms to dear stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks stanau. i was always using the red cured beachworms but the guy making them has given it away for a while, so prawns and squid worked ok. i was told to try something that was done many years ago and that's to cut squid in long thin strips and soak it in red vegie dye which i have done but not tried yet. my concern is getting red dye everywhere... keep you posted, spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:27 am

yes going to try squid with gulp recharge i will let you know how i go stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 am

It was great news to hear a couple of keen fisherman who came past and saw me yesterday and went through with them re paravane set up and slug sizes and such for spottys. They went out and caught some for the first time, i was stoked for them. It was blowing 20 knots this morning and out they went again, nothing like a few fish on the boat to make the waves look smaller! Well done, spero

Hanmerst

Post by Hanmerst » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Spero. I wanted to thank you for your helpful advise and tips on how to catch some mackerel. I followed your advise with great success and secured four fish. The biggest was a beauty at 80cm. Thanks again and look forward to chatting again soon. Steve Hammer.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:29 am

Thank you steve,i am glad it all worked out,nothing like some fresh fish for dinner,and lots of fun catching them,lets hope they stay in the bay like the old days thru till easter,i am a little concerned that they are on the western side of the bay again this year everytime this has happened they dont seem to stay in the bay for a long time,i hope this year its different.
The rain came to brisbane but not at manly we missed every storm and every ounce of rain and on saturday it drizzled all day only,the south eaterly sunday is bringing some heavier showers so some flushing off all the waterways will bring on the whiting and squire and maybe push the mackerel out to the eastern side and the middle of the bay,long range forcast look good for the upcomming week if they are correct so time to go out and find some fresh fish again..
good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Being out in the bay fishing is very good but some days are even better especially when a good friend of the column jeff from (the smelly one i mean curly one) has his grandson Owen with him and he catches his first ever spotty mackerel,and especially after his grandfather says dont cast yet ,owen does not listen casts and gets his first spotty,i think that is fantastic and makes an old fisherman happy to see it and witness the smile on a young childs face,Owen i hope you catch many more and you can help grandad catch some more fish ....well done and have fun on the sandhills tommorow...
for the rest of us the mackerel were in fairly good numbers today monday they were not staying up for long but are very hungry hardly any food in there stomachs only one or two little whitebaits,managed 5 nice ones and couple were 80 cm plus.the area they come up in was from the hope bank beacon all the way to peel...looks like good conditions for the next couple of days..good fishing spero