Water Tower Bait & Tackle
10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
i250

Re: Report 27/11/15

Post by i250 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:04 am

Hi Spero, always find your updates helpful and insightful and was wondering if you had any advice that might help me on an upcoming trip I have. I'm headed over to Moreton Island with some mates over Christmas and taking the car topper tinny with us. Normally we camp on the western side between the Wrecks and Bulwar. We are hoping to launch the tinny (conditions permitting) off the breach for some fishing. Won't be venturing very far out but any suggestions for spots / techniques or what we should be targeting? Thanks heaps, Ian.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Hard work today, did not come up till 1pm and only on the western side of Harry's reef. Got 5 in 5 hours. The boat had a good run... thank heavens it's diesel. The old sharkcat would have cost an arm and a leg.

Back in tomorrow, will see if I can find some nice whiting in the morning as the squire session went by the wayside with a 15 knot north easterly this afternoon. I have moved to the current century, I am writing this from my phone! The old Nokia 6310i didn't do this stuff.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:42 pm

hi ian
this time of year the flathead and squid of the beach is pretty good the squid normally are in the weedbanks of the beach and quite close in at high tide,if you have a small tinnie the tuna and spotty mackerel run close in to shore a few lead slugs around the 35 gram mark should do the trick,down toward the sandhills there are some nice whiting of the beach as well,last year the yellow tail king fish were caught 50 yds of the beach so you never know what goes past ,if you can fish the inside of the wrecks which is pretty safe with a small boat there are squire and sweetlip and trevally in the past we have caught very big yellow tail tuna on live baits behind the wrecks ,,out a little on the bulwer ledge there are nice snapper and black king fish but you will need to be careful in a small boat with the tide run,and ofcourse the beacons alway hold school mackerel spottys some times and king fish,lots to catch and a lovely spot to spend time at,if i hear anything happening that way will post,so good luck.spero

i250

Post by i250 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:46 am

Thanks spero. I'll try a few of those plans and let you know how I go. Cheers, Ian.

stanau

Post by stanau » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:05 am

hi went tuesday got 35 medium to small whiting at the bottom of chain banks blood worms best squid soaked in gulp recharge poor

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:37 pm

Just a quick thank you for all the wonderful emails and comments thru out the year,i am so glad some fisherman followed some tips and spots and caught some nice fish,
so to all HAVE A MERRY XMAS AND A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR and lets hope we are healthy enough to keep going out and catching a few fish in 2016,
i will be out there quite a bit if the winds are calm so will keep all informed whats happening,and if you have any information you would like to pass on or anyquestions i can try and help you with email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au.
good fishing to you all spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:19 pm

sunday the spottys were everywhere and most boats caught there fair share,today monday was also very good lots of schools early morning but not staying up long at all the baitballs are still very small,we managed 6 this morning and went and caught 6o lovely whiting at the rous.the mackerel were up this afternoon 1kl outside the king island beacon and they were very big schools very close in we managed anothe 4 so great day and they are so close in..weather is looking good so good fishing spero

Rochey79

Post by Rochey79 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Hi Spero, I too would like to thank you for your posts. They are informative & generous in the way that you are willing to hand out your advice on all things fishing. I've been fishing the southern bay for many years now & I still haven't caught a legal spotty. I was out there this morning around the north eastern side of Peel & saw birds working only small patches of fish for a brief moment each time they came up. I had a pillie under a float as well as a Halco Twisty just in case I got a decent shot at a school but to no avail. The conditions were lovely though this morning. Have you had any luck in the last few days? Thanks again for the time you give to help us fishos.
Regards, Ben.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm

hi ben thank you for your kind words the spottys have moved towards the entrance to the small boat passage and harrys artificial reef they are also comming up near green island but not staying on the surface a long time as they not able to hold the baitballs up as the mackerel schools are not big enough yet, .get yourself a few cheap slugs from water tower bait and tackle they are cheap and work really well (they are the ones i had made as i was sick and tied of paying 5 and 6 dollars each) the other thing is trawl with spoons lots of readers are catching nice fish with this method.hope this helps a little if you need any more advice email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au..good fishing spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:37 am

hi 2dollars for slugs great watch out macks thanks

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Day after xmas and for the first time in years could not pig out (not happy). Took the family out today, grandchildren, nieces, grandmas and godchildren, what a day. Picked up two nice spotties on the trawl going to the whiting grounds at the small boat passage and then the fun began -- 7 adults and children fishing at the same time, some did not want to touch the worms others could not touch or take the fish off the hook. After tangles,f\ tantrums and everything else we managed 60 plus whiting and a wonderful day to finish off Xmas. The good news no one got a hook in the head or any other part of the body, and the best fishing award goes to little sophia who did very well for her first time catching a fish.

the mackerel are coming up early and then late in the afternoon close into green and king island. It was too lumpy for me with the family to chase this afternoon but there were lots of schools up and feeding on the way home at 3to 4 pm. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Glad we got some fishing in the last few weeks as it looks like its (poop your pants weather ) for the whole week .
so spit and polish the fishing rods and reels new leaders on the trolling lines and get the slugs ready for the spotty season as it continues,it will be interesting to see where they move to ..i am sure we will find them when the winds ease..good cleaning spero

drpete

Post by drpete » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 am

Nice to meet you the other day. You looked like you were all having fun :)
It was a good day out, we got heaps of whiting (now mostly ratted by the extended family as usual :) )
We threw some sugs at the mackeral but they were pretty skittish and we didn't put a LOT of effort in before turning back to the whiting.
A mate got them there again the following day too.
The next week looks terrible. Let's hope the forecast is as accurate as usual :D
Peter

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 am

Thank you yes the family had lots of fun,mackerel were skittish hopefully they will stay up a little longer as the schools get bigger and can hold the bait balls up..
On a serious note i was doing some touch ups on the boat and saw some folk taking there familys and young children out with the winds blowing 25 to 30 knots ,what are these folks thinking i have to say i find it quite unbelievable,and dangerous..
i feel for the rescue guys as they are the ones that have to put there lives at risk to save these boaties..spero

drpete

Post by drpete » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:08 am

Exactly. I saw that a boat went down in the bay yesterday and two women hd to be rescued.
In THESE wnds, no-one, in anything other than an ocean going tug, has no business out on the water.
besides it being no fun at all, it's dangerous as hell! That short chop the Bay gets, while annoying in mild winds, is brutal in BIG winds.