10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 4/1/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Xmas and new year have come and gone but the spotties and schoolies are in fantastic numbers in the bay. Even the weather overall was very good. There have been lots of nice fillets for all to enjoy and some monster size female spotties were in good numbers; a couple were over 85cm. Interestingly, this year they are back eating razor pillies which is not what we normally see in their stomachs, and they are also into the whitebait. What I have not seen yet is any small frogmouth pillies which is what they normally ball up. Anyway, so far so good, it's been a very good season and let's hope they stay through until Easter like the days of old.

The whiting have been in good numbers all through the Rous and off the chain and maroom banks. The squire fishing has been very good as well, so no complaining at all. Let's hope the weather stays calm so everyone can get out there for a fish. good fishing, spero
SperoWeb2.jpg
SperoWeb3.jpg
SperoWeb1.jpg

MurrayB

Re: Report 4/1/16

Post by MurrayB » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:11 pm

Hey Spero,

What Bay have you been fishing in mate? I had 2 weeks off over Xmas and 10 days of it were blowing 20 - 30 knots. You must be talking about from the 19th of Dec to about the 24th. That period was not bad. I went out chasing the spotties all over the paddock with the pointy hat brigade and only managed one keeper. Lost my 10lb downrigger bomb and then found out guys were just throwing unweighted pillies at the surfacing schools. I'll get my act together one day.

Any day out on the bay is a good day. $60 for a new bomb. Pretty expensive mac fillets hey?

Murray

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:31 am

hi Murray
i don't know apart for a few days here and there looking at my log i went out all the way to the 15th dec and then 18th 21 23 26 and 30th and then last weekend and this past mon/tuesday. You must have listened to the weather people (just joking)
Then again look at the forecast for today and yet it's magic out there... anyway they are thick with lots of fish being caught. Some bait shops have sold out of paravanes and spoons and the slugs are flying out the door i have been told, and even first time mackerel fishermen are getting into them. Maybe you should give paravaning a go and give that expensive bomb away... hope to see you out there looks like a nice weekend and next week. good fishing, spero [Edited: 'Murray']

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:45 am

I was just down at the marina and a friend just got back in with 3 nice fish ,got them just south of hope bank beacon..
spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:22 am

hi Yes the weather reports HA HA this monday i hope going to try your pravane and slugs and pillies

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:57 am

Be careful you cant throw slugs, paravanes and pillies all at the same time you need to leave some fish for everyone else!

Anyway, good luck. If the weather folk are correct looks like a nice weekend and next week coming up, my wife and i are off this afternoon for 3 to 4 days out there so we will see where they have gone and what else is around. Last year we seemed to be getting some nice squid at the end of the rous at the first red in the dogleg but you need to be careful as the line between the last green and the first red (east) is a no fish zone and last sunday there were about 5 boats inside the line. The fine i think is $380 which makes it a bad day fishing. Say hi if you see us out there. good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Great three days and the weather was exceptional apart from friday afternoon. Fished the lazaret on friday afternoon for some nice squire 55 to 45, only one undersize but flipper and his baby turned up and decided to grab the next size squire. It was howling anyway so we went right into the lazaret for dinner of fresh squire and home garden salad (my wife forgot to bring the chips). Decided to put the spotlight on and watch the going on at the back of the boat. To my surprise the whitebait turned up chased by the razor pilles. How funny the mackerel eat the razor pillies and they eat the tiny whitebait. I scooped up enough to have whitebait fritters for lunch on Saturday after we trawled and managed 4 big spotties and 6 schoolies. Boats everywhere saturday and by looking around everyone should have got a feed of mackerel.

Saturday night we spent at the yellow opposite fishermans gutter and we managed 5 nice big tiger squid and 15 very large whiting in 5ft of water. Sunday morning after bacon and eggs we came down to catch a few whiting at the entrance to the small boat passage and the numbers were not great but the quality was better then expected. The spotties were up early but decided to stop feeding with the tide change. A couple of friends caught some early in the morning and to my good friend shane the rod and reel loss over the side is very sad for you, but i hate to say it's very funny for me! The weather looks great for the week so i cut the grass this afternoon (thanks terry) and out again for a few days with some good friends fishing. spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:16 pm

hi You got it made 10 out of 10 thanks for report

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:02 pm

My friend Whiting Master and i went out today and was not disappointed, picked up 3 spotties on the way out in the morning paravaning past king island to the hope bank beacon, and then the chain banks for some whiting. Interestingly they were not in any great numbers in the drop off but were actually in 7-8ft of water on the chain banks. Got 45 fish and most were decent size, cleaned and filleted had lunch and we had school mackerel trying to eat our squid jigs behind the boat followed up by a very large squid.

On the way back this afternoon the mackerel were in the same spot, managed another 4 on slugs as the schools were up and feeding (not for long). They don't seem to be able to ball up the bait at the moment and are feeding like tuna, the only difference the swim around so you can cast to them as they swim away.

Whiting Master had a great day and did I. Good fishing, spero
ps..tomorrow we might try it again

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Nothing much changed today, dozen boats chasing the spotties around the bay and again did not stay up for long except for a patch here and there that was big enough to hold the bait up. We got 6 nice fish which was lots of fun for two old friends that had never caught spotties before. Fresh mackerel cooked on the boat for lunch was very tasty behind green island in the afternoon.

The whiting were again in good numbers on the chain banks and the north westerly stayed quite till later in the afternoon.

Just remember for anyone chasing for the first time even if they stop feeding they are still there swimming around as they are not like tuna and take off, so have a flick in an ark where you see them last as you will get a hit even if they are not feeding. spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:46 pm

hi went monday used paravanes first got 2 fish 450 long in the 10 min GREAT next one lost spoon and a messy tangle did not know what type of fish they were white strips along body and pointy head . whiting come on got 42 med size at green becon in Rouse , I paravaned around Harries

harry17

Post by harry17 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi all, finally after all the festivities and wind, the South Easterlies.... we got across to the big sand hills on Sunday, we fished 2 hours up to the high tide and an hour after to about 11:00am. It was slow going but just after the tide turn we dropped the anchor not far from the yellow and had steady hook ups until we had a few meals in the esky, it was getting hot and a swim and lunch at the Fairlight was the best option. The whiting were relatively hard to get and the smallest I've seen in the bay for some time, many went back to fatten up. We usually head straight for the Rous for a fish then to the sandhills, sounds like it would have been a better option? Anyway a great day on the bay and fresh whiting for dinner, all great!

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:30 pm

Another magic day on the bay weather wise ,the mackerel were around around the hope bank beacons some were feeding other schools were swimming around and did not feel like taking lures as a few boats worked out,nothing more frustrating then seeing them swim past putting a lure in front of them and they pretend not to see it,but it happens managed our quota and came back and caught a few squid at green.a friend told me they were up wide of mud as well towards the sandhills which is good news as they had baitballs up and feeding really well.i think the problem around hope banks at the momment with the big tides they cant hold the bait up for long where out in the paddock the tide is not as fast ..saw a couple of young guys fishing for them today with swivels on there lines you will get bitten off if that swivel goes thru the school ,you are better of with no swivel at all .lets hope this weather holds for everyone to get out there for fish...spero