10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 13/1/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:17 pm

You've all seen the reports of the spotties in the bay, where to find them and how to look for them. For a change, i thought i'd share with you a part of the mackerel that's wonderful to eat but which most people use as crab bait, or just throw it away or give to the cat. I'm talking about the back part of the frame.

When filleting, leave a little extra meat on the back part of the frame, as you can see in the picture below. Put it on a hot charcoal BBQ with some olive oil, lemon juice, oregano (fresh or dried), and salt and pepper. Turn it once and it's like eating flounder – the meat of the frame tastes amazing. Try it and tell me what you all think. Just don't overcook it! good eating, spero
SperoWeb2.jpg
When filleting your mackerel, leave a little extra meat on the back part of the frame.
SperoWeb1.jpg
Our good friends Jerry and Allison with their first ever spotty catch (someone can't keep off the phone)

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 13/1/16

Post by sperok » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Good to see the strong wind warning issued yesterday for friday, didn't mention it would be dead calm till 2 pm. Oh well, mowed the grass at least while cursing. What can you do? There's always next week, and the fish need a rest from seeing all those lead slugs been thrown at them, i am sure i have seen some duck as they see a boat coming towards them.
From all reports from boats chasing them yesterday they were hard to find, and as i mentioned to a couple of fishermen this used to happen quite often when they would stop feeding for a day or two after gorging themselves for a week or so. Until next week, spero

Rochey79

Post by Rochey79 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:11 pm

I can definitely vouch for that Spero. The fishing was very slow yesterday. There was little to no surface activity compared to previous days this week. Even the birds were solitary when searching for feeding schools. I saw the odd lone fish swimming along the surface, but they didn't seem interested in any of my offerings & I pretty much tried everything for no result. You were probably right when telling me the spotties might be full from feeding up on consecutive calm days like we've had all week. Hopefully they'll still be around after the next few windy days. Fingers crossed!
Cheers, Ben.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:23 am

Now that's what i call wind! 50 plus knots in the marina and to top it all off my lovely canvas canopy on the old cruiser was torn to shreds and all the wooden stays holding it up are in two pieces instead of one. Ahhh... the joys of owing a boat.

Oh well, at least no one was hurt and the boat next to me didn't get damaged. Bob and lynn also tied all the loose bits up in the middle of the night, so I'm thankful for great neighbours... so we will be topless for a while fishing. Until next week when the wind eases, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:07 pm

Hooray, the wind stopped and the fish are still there -- happy days. BUT they were hard to get around the hope banks, did not manage one on a slug as they were not staying up hardly at all and at 6 knots i could not get there in time. Ended up getting 5 schoolies and 4 large spotties, all on the paravanes.

A good friend jim and his wife chris went north and found some nice schools feeding and staying up for 1 to 2 minutes so they picked up a couple and lost a couple. The area is the 53ft deep mark between mud and the sandhills. It's a little further then we are used to but they are so fun to catch and to eat. i am off to the sandhills with the loves of my life the grandkids so i will see if the fish are in big numbers over that way of the bay. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Had a swim with the grandkids at peel instead of heading north to look for the spotties. Picked two small schoolies on the way to peel but did not see a single bird and no action on the surface at all. A couple of friends caught some nice schoolies and big spotties around the hope banks this morning so the fish were definitely there again but not on the surface. My friends went north again and got plenty of fish. Well... they landed 4 and lost 24, so lots of fish between mud and the sandhills. A little work on the boat next couple of days and i don't like the north west northerly so will wait till the s/e n/e again. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 pm

I thought I would pass on a lovely text from an old friend who read the reports. I've taken out a word you cant say on tv.
''Soooo!!! Mackerel frames bbq with spices as recommended by spero. F***in excellent voted by multi millionaires we had dinner with. They are now new followers of the reports and waiting for new recipes!"
It makes you happy to hear that even millionaires can eat the old mackerel frames. Bon appetit! spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:06 am

HI worked on my boat also getting ready for Banana prawn season

ICantEnglish

Post by ICantEnglish » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Stanau, can you give me any tips on prawning in Moreton Bay? Long time fisherman, never prawned, and wouldn't know where to begin. Do you just go around Raby Bay looking for prawns on the sounder, then throw a net in that direction? Are there any places that are especially good for prawning? How deep should the water be? Thanks.

stanau

Post by stanau » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:18 am

hi Logan river Nudgee Macleay Karragarra are the most popular. You need a cast net with top pocket big one . Late feb March April Go where all the boats are sometimes 50 or more

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 am

Had a few fisherman write and ask why the 4 inch spoons dont swim as well behind the paravane as 3 inch,what i have found is the line and the weight of the spoon sometimes dont let the paravane swim as well ,i come down to a 30 lb line between the paravane and the spoon and make sure you have the line tight on the paravane ,i use a locked blood knot in the little V notch that i make at the back of the paravane, you will find this works well ..les hope this wind eases back so we can get out there to try it all again.good fishing spero

drpete

Post by drpete » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:26 am

I called off the trip yesterday (Sunday) in MY boat because of the forecast. Then I get a phone call from a boofhead mate at 5.50am "Just pumped yabbies, meet me at the ramp at Raby Bay in half an hour". After much swearing and complaining, I complied (as usual). It WAS pretty bloody sloppy, but the whiting at the Half Tide gutter were THICK!! At least on the yabbies. Even in THAT wind, we bagged out on whiting in about an hour and a half! Better quality fish too. Couldn't get yabby down without getting smashed. Then we had a quick drop on the Sunken Reef at top of the tide and bang, nice 1.6 kg snapper on board. All in all, rough in a 17 ft plate cuddy cabin, but better than NOT fishing....
Peter

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Yes it was blowing a little,today in the morning was lovely out there but did not see a single school of spotties around the hope bank at all.lots of good size schoolies at leat ,went further north for a look and again did not see a single school or any birds but then again i probably did not go far enough,i think it will be better when these big tides are gone end of the week ,plenty of whiting again today at the rous and small ship channel ,so hope the weather gurus get it close to correct in the next few days..good fishing spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:44 am

Hi I hope Monday . I got your paravane drawing thanks lots of new info .Question what knot do you use on the spoon and which spoon is your favourite the 3/ 4/ 5/ or 6 inch

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:56 pm

I always use a blood knot or a locked bloodknot and in the bay the most success and the pros have used since adam was a boy is the 3 inch and unless you use a bigger paravane the 3 inch works best ...and i have on occassions used a 4 inch but most of my fish have been on the 3inch.
i have to pass on something funny that happened on monday while trolling ,i caught 5 nice schoolies and decided to to look north for some spottys as mentionned did not find any came back put the paravanes out and started trolling ,from inside the boat i was pretty sure i saw the rod dip more then once but i kept think i was missing the hits,or i was hitting weed,anyway pulled up the rods close enought to see the paravane and the spoon everything looked good another half hour and a few more dips on the rod no fish,finally had enough bringing the rods out i finally saw why no fish the damn hook had come out of the spoon...talk about feeling stupid.so off i went to my favourite spending money place muirs to buy some small screws and nuts and what i found i was very excited about tiny locknuts that fit the spoons ,,yeh no more no hook on the spoon...good fishing spero