10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 27/1/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:37 pm

The action slowed down over the last few days as the winds started and the big tides put the mackerel down. From one of our readers I was told a few schools came up towards peel on Sunday but it was not the most pleasant of conditions.

One good thing is when the mackerel aren't biting you look at other things to catch that you normally don't get time to do. Over the last few days I decided to get some whitebait, which is one of my favorite things to eat. All you need is a kids butterfly net and a bright light at night, and every now and then up they come schooling up at the back of the boat. The other way is to go up to a feeding school of mackerel and sit on the bait ball and scoop up a couple of nets full. Whitebait taste so good, even with their little eyes looking at you while eating them!

Finally, nothing makes me feel as good as seeing a wonderful young boy with a moreton bay spotty in his hands. In the photo below, Kade Matlby is trying to keep his cool but you can see that big smile trying to break out in a big way. Kade is the son of a good friend Shane who loves his fishing as much as anyone I know, and you can see what this little fella will be doing in years to come. Like his dad fishing as often as he can, and there is nothing wrong with that at all. good fishing, spero
SperoWeb2.jpeg
SperoWeb.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 27/1/16

Post by sperok » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:00 pm

It seems we have started an epidemic of paravane fishing in moreton bay! From the emails i have been getting from fisherman catching fish on paravanes with spoons for the first time ever, and many many more asking for some advice on setting the paravanes up, i think the old spottys and schoolies and broad mackerel had better watch out. There are a lot more fisherman taking a fresh fish home for dinner, the bait shops have been running out of spoons and paravanes and of course the old slugs, so it is very exciting to read all the emails from happy anglers. A few windy days by the look of it so i am hoping to get the canopy fixed so i don't burn to a crisp over the weekend and by that time the calm seas will be back and the spotties will be hungry. spero
P.S. To all the fisherman who have received my famous sketch of setting up your paravane you all can stop laughing, i never said i could draw...

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Looked so nice this morning from manly hill driving down to marina i couldn't help myself and took the boat out for a spin. What a mistake the water temp is 80f which is 6 degrees warmer then last week and the northerly swell in the bay past green was up around 3ft. Too lumpy for my liking so turned the boat around and came home. It was so strange to have a swell in the bay and no wind,so maybe tomorrow or when the water temp drops a little. some nice squid were being caught up at cowan in the last week in about 8ft of water so reading last couple of year's reports squid might be the order of the day over the next few months. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:42 pm

I received a wonderful email today and thought i would put it in the report:

"Hi Spero, I cannot thank you enough for your invaluable info re: Moreton Bay Macks. I headed out this morning to the the measured mile beacons, 2 schoolies (just legal - kept 1) throwing slugs. Headed over to the Big sand hill on Moreton around 8:30 and sure enough there they were, Spotties. Mostly small schools, not staying up for long but 1 larger school came up right next to my boat and unlike the longtails actually stayed up for a good few minutes. Such a buzz!! I managed 3 nice Spotties in about an hour. Water temp was 28deg, 24m of water. Beaut morning on the bay. Thanks again Spero, 10/10 for you!
Hope you get a few also,
Regards,
Stew."

Thank you Stew! I have to say that emails like this make all the reporting worthwhile... and it's great to see some of the theories regarding mackerel coming to fruition. We'll just have to keep doing it, and hope all who read the reports catch some nice fish. spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:09 pm

It was great to hear from many fishermen regarding the spotties at the front of the sandhills and the wonderful photos i received, but as a few mentioned i was too damn busy putting on the new back canvas on the boat on the best day of the week. i have to say i was not happy as the boats were going past me in the harbour at east coast marina. anyway i don't mention normally any business or products apart from items that help everyone catch a fish but i have to say a big thank you to Club Marine Insurance for their quick reply and response (i have been with them for over 25 years and it's my second claim) and to the boys at Bayside Boat Canopies at east coast who did a wonderful job... if only it was one day earlier! I could have gone and caught some mackerel as well. Never mind, all good and the boat looks great and now all i want is for the wind to stop so i can zoom out there at 6 knots and chase those spotties. Thank you to all the offers to take me out while the boat was getting fixed. See you all out there when the wind is below 10knots. spero
P.S. for all who can throw a cast net (not me) the prawns are running thick in all the creeks. I saw bags of prawns out of tingalpa creek today.

stanau

Post by stanau » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:36 am

Hi Petes cast nets Ph 0412 122 265. Stan will make a top pocket cast net and show how to cast it . He also has all the good info on catching prawns

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 am

For anyone that can get over to moreton the big tiger squid are in good numbers on the weed banks up past tangallooma wrecks all the way to bulwer and beyond.. had some nice photos sent in this week..the wind will stop soon spero