10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 12/2/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:58 am

Just when we were getting ready for the wind to stop, and after doing all new leaders on the lines, spit and polishing rods and reels and getting everything done ready for the fishing onslaught (and looking at the long-range forecast for the weekend) I wake up this morning, look at the update and start crying! 15-20 up to 25 1-1.5m seas etc. I am now totally depressed, not much else to clean so garden work is the order of the day, and maybe a trip to the local fishing store to buy a few things we might need when we can get out there.

The biggest problem is that we all know the fish are out there swimming around looking for our baits /lures and everything we throw at them, but we are not.

You might have seen the change on the Fishing Monthly reports page, as the Moreton Bay is now brought to you by East Coast Marina. I have been a client of theirs since they opened 30+ years ago, from my first 18ft Shark Cat to my 23ft to now my old Bay Cruiser. I can confidently say it was the best thing I have done, as it allowed me more time for fishing, and made boating easier for me.

Nothing reporting-wise will change though -- I'll still be trying to help anyone trying to catch a fish for dinner. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 12/2/16

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:18 am

Horrible weather, so it's time for another funny article from my 1930s Geisha and Cherry blossom fishing line book. This one tells us how to cook fish.

"FISH LA MODE JA-PAN-AISE
Take small choice fat fish. Fillet it and cut into cubes, similar to chip potatoes. Souse fish in any sauce which will drown taste of fish... castor oil,coal-tar or used sump oil will do... shut both eyes and gulp fish down RAW.
Note: in japan raw fish is the piece-de-resistence or whatever the french is for that in japanese
FRIED FISH
Yes you can have fried fish, fresh fried fish, fresh fish fried or fish fresh fried...."

This is what happens when fisherman are stuck on shore for prolonged periods of time... spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:57 pm

Its great when you have not been out but believe the fish are still there, and they are! first day out after the blow for a few weeks and the schoolies and spotties were in great numbers around the hope bank beacon (well done ben) caught 4 nice spotties and 8 schoolies and decided to clean up and go to the small boat channel for some squid. Managed 2 squid and another 2 schoolies seeing they decided to swim behind the boat in 8ft of water.
Decided on a little trip past harrys north to see if the northeasterly would bring the spotties up and yes, they were up. One school had about 100 fish in it which made me very happy seeing that big a school staying in the bay. Saw another two schools so the spotties are staying put. The fact the water temp is staying around 76 degrees all goes well for them to stay for another couple of months. Doesn't look bad for the next few days especially thursday. Anyway all our neighbours are eating fresh fish tonight and i am having my mackerel frames .love this bay, spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:23 am

Yah Hoooo Thanks for report