10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 17/2/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:12 pm

It's wonderful when the fishing theories we have about staying in the same area and going into the wind are proven correct. It doesn't always happen but it's very satisfying when we get it right. The winds finally eased and it was like the fish were waiting for the anglers to front up and to jump on the spoons or the slugs, depending what you were after. The schoolies are in exceptional numbers and size around the hope banks closer to the green at the entrance to the chain banks, and today they seemed to be in one area and every time I went through I got hit after hit. I thought yesterday was fun but today was unbelievable.

The spotties were not up today. There were massive bait balls very deep so I don't know if it was the time of day or they hadn't found the bait yet, but I didn't see any on the surface -- and yet yesterday in the same area they were up and feeding. There were some Watson bonito doing the old dart everywhere with a few boats chasing them. I hope the realized they were not mackerel. Look for the birds doing the backstroke as that's your best sign that there are mackerel. When they fly in one direction and fast they tend to be tuna or bonito. Knowing what the fish are can save you some fuel.

Anyway, let's hope the winds keep away and everyone can get out there and catch a few fish in the next few days.

If you are after some squid there are a few on the deeper water of the maroon banks and also of the chain banks in the weed. I got inked badly today and one little blighter bit me as well. There was black ink all over the brand new canopy, I was scrubbing for hours. Luckily still has the shine so did not penetrate, but my shirt and face did. Never mind, the squid will taste good tonight and I will be biting him back. good fishing, spero
Spero2.jpg
Spero1.jpg

Hosty19

Re: Report 17/2/16

Post by Hosty19 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Great report, I am so jealous I get to look out at the bay on my way to work.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:47 pm

Just thought i would mention the fact that we had a pretty severe storm come through this time last year which caught many of us by surprise. Looking back over the years february brings a few doozies when you least expect them from the south east, so keep an eye out over the next few days especially if you are overnighting in a protected area of a northerly and a southerly comes through. The variable winds did not eventuate today as predicted so the whiting trip was put off, let's hope the arrow people (www.seabreeze.com.au/weather/qld/brisbane) are correct for saturday and all the fishermen who could not get out through the week have a chance to go and catch some fish. good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:41 pm

Looking good for the next few days. I'll be going over to moreton to see whats happening with the spotties and see if the whiting and squid are hanging around with my best mate the whiting master. He could be a little rusty as he hasn't been out for a while but he tells me you don't lose your touch, it's like riding a bike. We will see! See you out there and good fishing, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Well i was supposed to stay out for a few days and i was supposed to go to the sandhills but like all planned fishing trips something always changes. Out we headed and decide to go through green and king just in case there were a few schoolies on the way to the sandhills.

Well, there were but half mile out there were hundreds of spotties feeding on the surface, all very large schools. Wo the whiting master (we will talk about him later) cleaned up on very large spotties. Got our limit so of we went past hope bank beacon and because of the run in tide we trolled on the peel side and there were schoolies in very large numbers. 10 was enough to call it quits and go for some whiting at the small boat passage as now we had plenty of mackerel so no need to go to the sandhills.

On the way to the whiting grounds and the paravanes still in the water, my best friend decided to sit and watch the rods and leave the brand new loomis and brand new penn on the back of the boat behind his head. This was all great till he decided to have a nap, head falls back and the spinning outfit gets knocked straight into the water. All i saw from inside the cabin driving the boat was this brand new only used twice $500 outfit going over the side. You should have heard the words that were spoken, and then the silence that fell upon the boat for while. What can you do?

Anyway, the whiting on the right hand side of the small boat passage as you enter were thick and wonderful size fish, the best i have seen for a while. My friend (who will remain nameless) hasn't lost his touch. Picked up 80 plus so we decided to come home, give some and eat some and if the weather holds and seeing the fish are so close in do it again tomorrow. good fishing, spero
Attachments
IMG_0486_1739.jpg
IMG_0485_1738.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Friday was the pick of the week even better then yesterday ,more boats chasing the spotties and more fish beeing caught,we went thru in close where they were yesterday lots of baitballs deep but no fish on the surface managed two big schoolies ,my friend shane had gone out early and rang to tell me they were west of harrys and north of the hope banks ,they were up and down but nice big schools my friends that were with me picked up 5 nice spotties on the slugs as the fish swam past us,so we went for another session of whiting the boys fished and managed a good 60 fish again ..on the way back lots of boats chasing the spotties outside st helena and the fish were comming in some of the boats one after the other (young paul and friend) are exceptional fisherman and it was like watching the tuna man pull one mackerel in after the other..
big schools and they were not feeding in any great frenzy but as they swam around if you could see them you could catch them and the water was 79 degrees and flat as a tack..we managed another 4 and we came to green for a few squid managed one and the other 6 that came up just looked and did not want to touch the jigs ,so home we came .and the good news was my best friend the whiting master and our other friend bomber dave did not throw any rods overboard today .....thank heavens good fishing till next time spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:55 pm

Finally someone took the umbrella of the top of the wynum manly area,as we have missed out on every cloud that went past brisbane for the lasr 6 weeks,tanks are empty and when my wife sees the water bill i will be lucky to be able to buy some worms. The good news is this wonderful downpours will flush all the river systems and dirty the water up a little and this always for whatever reason brings on the bigger whiting,in the older days we could not waite to get to the first red at the rous on the first sandbank to get into the big whiting, lets hope the winds are not as strong as predicted at weeks end and we can get out there ,the morning tides look good for some snapper fishing around the islands as well,so if you can get over to peel i think it will be fairly smooth once you are there.
Might be ok for a look for some spottys at low tide as especially closer into the banks where it tends to stop the swell especially if its more east then south.
hopefully we have something good to report by end of the week.
from downtown at east coast marina ..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:04 pm

Quick update...spotty mackerel thick today from hope bank beacon to peel island and as many schoolies on paravanes as you can catch..spero