10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 3/3/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:26 pm

Not too bad a day; the wind was around 13 knots so not the most comfortable day, but when the fish are around and you are catching one after another it never feels as bad!

The spotties have moved from the area between St Helena and Harries to the area between Hope Bank beacon and Peel Island. There were some decent size schools this morning, one would have had 100+ fish. We got 3 out of one school on slugs. When you look at the size of the bait they are eating (small razor pillies and whitebait) you can see why the slugs are the go. The schoolies were thick in the same area on the paravanes in 23ft of water.

The water temp is holding fast at 76 degrees, which we have worked out is about perfect for them to stay in the bay. With the forecast in the long term I don't see why they would not be around until Easter and beyond if the weather and temperature hold.

Please remember to be careful of the fish when you get them on board. I dropped one on my foot today and I thought "that's a lot of blood from this fish" but it was my leg, not the fish! The little buggers have razor-sharp teeth. Good fishing, spero
IMG_0492_1744.jpg
IMG_0491_1743.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 3/3/16

Post by sperok » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:59 pm

The fish were there again today but moved into the south easter and were up against the north western side of peel,and some of the spotties were big one was 87 cm and two others were 78 and 82 these are very big fish for this time of the season..just west of the lazaret gutter,they were not staying up for long as they are eating small razor pillies and whitebait and dont seem to be able to ball it up and hold it,if you are lucky some of the bigger schools are holding the bait a little longer.it also goes without saying the schoolies were thick again today on the paravanes around the hope beacon towards the green at the entrance to the small boat passage and i saw a cou[le of boat get a coule drifting with pillies.and if the ammount of baby schoolies are any indication of the schoolies in the bay in winter we are going to have a ball .i caught and released at least 25 babys today have never had that many small ones before in a day.so all looking good .
i stopped at green and managed 5 small tiger squid (small) but they will taste yummy..
weather is not bad when you get over to peel with these south easters going over is not much fun.for us oldies..but it was fun..hope everyone hooks a couple for dinner on the week end good fishing spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi Yes looking forward to winter schoolies good news thanks .

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:49 pm

Sunday turned out to be a nice day wind-wise, and lots of boats were out chasing the spotties and the schoolies. The mackerel weren't as thick as they were during the week and lots of boats were driving straight through them, but fish were caught and some are having fresh mackerel for dinner.

A couple of friends went for whiting and they cleaned up at the second yellow in the rous and a couple of big tiger squid also came to the boat.

A day of rest for the old today but out end of the week when the wind will be under 10knots. good eating all spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:41 am

The rain gods have finally decided to lift the umbrella of the bayside area, and the liquid gold is falling in buckets. This is good news for the whiting and squire and snapper in the bay islands as for some reason it seems to bring on the bigger whiting and snapper. I don't know why; i would think they are in the bay and don't just get bigger because it's raining, but it seems to be the pattern.

The winds look like staying from the south east for while so if you can put up to getting somewhere out of the wind to fish i think it would be worth while. Not much fun for most of us oldies that prefer dead calm conditions. good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:31 pm

Friday afternoon was no fun for much fishing but decided on an overnight at green as i was going a little stir crazy only fishing one day for the week. Luckily for my wife and i the arrow squid turned up so 3 nice ones ended in the boat. The wind blew all night from the south and did not ease up at all, and this morning it eased a little but then started again around 8am. We were able to fish the yellow at green island and another 3 really big tiger squid came to the boat as well so we were very happy. Had our bacon and eggs and came home as the wind kept blowing harder and harder. Tempura squid for lunch which was fantastic and black ink pasta for dinner. it was good fishing and it will be good eating, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Monday morning and it looked like it was going to be fishable at least for a few hours. The wind did the right thing by us and went around to the south/southwest so it was not as jogly as i thought it was going to be. Straight out towards the hope bank beacon and veering a little to the north as it was an outgoing tide still. Not a touch all the way to the start of the small boat passage so decided to head towards peel and follow the drop off. Not a touch. The tide was about to change so rather than going all the way to peel headed back toward the green at the small boat passage, and it was like someone rang the dinner bell! The school mackerel were thick. Got my quota and it was only 10 am. Most fish were in the 55 to 60 range but managed one just on 75 pretty big for a schoolie. There were also lots of 35 to 40 cm ones so looking good for the next few months. Did not see any birds working and i have to say it was not the day for it unless you up against peel in the calm water with the southeaster blowing, so a day i did not expect to get out and ended up a great day.

Just a note to fishermen going past, if you see a boat trolling around in circles and fishing a certain area while you are approaching from afar it would be a good idea to maybe go close and see what he might be doing or catching. I'm pretty sure a couple of boats were trying to catch some mackerel but went straight past me while the mackerel were thick. I hope those guys got some as they headed towards peel.

Let's hope the wind eases end of the week so everyone can get out there for a fresh feed of mackerel. good fishing spero

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:39 pm

Alternatively, if you see a boat fishing and concentrating on a certain area you could do the courteous thing and leave them some space to get their fish instead of encroaching on them and putting the fish off the bite. Get a bit of form about yourself. Stay classy....

jimjim04

Post by jimjim04 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:57 am

Spero you are gods son baby jesus

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:58 am

hi guys firstly i did not mean for anyone to go sit on top of someone else fishing, i was talking about school mackerel and the fact that they happen to be in a certain area when you find them. The area can be a mile long, it's just that sometimes they sit on one side of the bank and not the other, so when you see a boat working a particular side of the bank it just might mean the fish are on that side, that's all... spero

timp

Post by timp » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:33 am

hi spero, hoping to head out tomorrow morning if the winds behave,any tips or spots for a first timer? any info would be greatly appreciated

drpete

Post by drpete » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:43 am

Hey again Spero, I have a basic question about mackeral fishing. I usually just catch whiting and the odd mackeral on a floater line once in a while but you seem to be smashing them this season and I want in! :) I have a couple of good silver lures about five inches long that dive to about a metre and some silver slugs the same as the ones you pictured above. Is one metre deep enough? I know everyone uses paravanes, but I've never used one and I don't really know how to set one up. Are they necessary to get a feed in the bay? They're only cheap, I just haven't bought one because I don't know what to do with them. I've caught plenty of big Spaniards outside on big deep diving Halcos, I've just never put a lot of time into catching them in the bay, so I thought I'd try and bludge off YOUR experience instead :)
Thanks in advance. Peter

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:36 pm

Excellent weather today friday ,and the fish were in very good numbers the whiting master and doctor spock came with me today ,we trolled for some schoolies this morning and picked up 2 large ones on the eastern side of the hope bank ,and the boys were happy with that so whiting was next on the menu we fished the southern side of the small boat channel and there were lots of boat all the way to the first yellow and the second yellow towards peel and the whiting were not only plentiful but the quality was fantastic stopped at around 70 so the boys were thrilled ,went back out to the green towards peel and the spottys were up and the small schoolies were in plague proportions we managed 3 spottys and two more big schoolies and that was enough,it was time to head homewards and stop for some squid at green,lots of fun we caught 6 tigers had lunch (home made lamb and gravy rolls) and we got home happy as can be,great day on the bay,lots of baitfish on the water and lots of sharks under the mackerel schools o put down 4 pillies and we hooked 4 sharks it could have been why the spottys and the bonnito were very skittish..tommorow early might be ok if the southerly does not come in too early..good fishing spero
PS.peter and timp please email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au and i will be able to send you out all the info you need happy to help,sorry i missed seeing email this morning out fishing..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Got some great reports today of fish caught in the area between hope banks and the front of the lazaret gutter and there were many broad mackerel beeing caught with the schoolies,thats great news for the up comming weeks and months
good fishing spero