10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 21/3/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 am

The fishing in the last few days has been exceptional. The schoolies are in very good numbers, the whiting are in excellent numbers and quality ,and the spotties are keeping us on our toes when they decide to come up for a feed. The squid are arriving in the bay as well, so it's been so far a fantastic mackerel and whiting season, and as we speak the broad mackerel have decided to come in as well, with also lots of sharks. Last year it was about the same time and not only the broad mackerel but some spaniards decided to come and visit in the bay as well. We can't complain!

I received many many emails this week on paravaning and mackerel fishing in general and also some very nice emails re catching them for the first time. It's nice to see, and makes me very happy. The family of Greg, Dee and little Elise Flynn who have their boat at East Coast Marina (my home as well) went out on Saturday and sent me these photos. As an old fisherman seeing the little ones with that sort of smile on their faces makes it all worth while. One of the mackerel is a broad, so well done to the family.

Let's hope the winds and weather is kind to us with Easter coming up. Good fishing, spero

P.S. Glad to hear from many followers of the reports that they tried the mackerel frames and loved them. We will need to get another dish for everyone to try. Maybe some chefs should put it on the menu?
image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Cammo 71

Re: Report 21/3/16

Post by Cammo 71 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi Spero,

I've just joined the fishing monthly community and was hoping to get some advice. The family is spending Easter out on the Bay, weather permitting of course, and I'm keen to get hold of a few Mackerel. The first and only time we caught a Mackerel was purely by accident by my, at the time, 5 year old son while we were drifting down through the main channel between the oyster lease and the Myora anchorage. Do you have any advice or tips you could share with me to help improve on our Mackerel count of 1?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:49 am

firstly cammo please email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au and will send thru all the details you need.
The weather gods might be on our side from sat to tuesday lets hope they are correct. the weather has turned a little cooler in the last few mornings so i am hoping the spottys are going to stay around for a little longer. In the last few weeks the reports are coming in with broad mackerel being caught from peel to mud island and a report came in last week end the spottys were up and feeding near the sunken reef at mud as well. so with the weather warming up this week it could be the last few weeks of them staying in the bay, as there seems to be some cold fronts heading our way.
So be careful out in the bay this weekend as there seems like thousands of boats are going to be out, and also keep an eye out on the weather. There should be plenty of fish for all to catch even with boat traffic making them a little skittish. Happy Easter to you all hope to see you out there, spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Was not going to be a great day today as the forecast was for 15 plus knots so decided on a short trip this morning before it blew up. Glad i went because the school mackerel were in good numbers again. Lots of babies but managed 5 decent size ones. Headed towards peel as the wind had swung to the south east and managed 3 very large broad mackerel on the first green in front of the lazaret, so the broads are definitely in the bay. The wind stopped completely and even went around to the north east for a few hours -- so much for the southeaster at 10 to 15. Anyway cant complain, and by the way the squid are hungry and thick at the yellow at green 6 lovely tigers in half an hour on the way home. Can't beat this bay.

And to the many many fisherman that have emailed to ask about paravaning i hope everyone has some success this Easter. More then happy to try and help, just drop me a line at sperok@ozemail.com.au. Good fishing, spero

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:26 pm

Some more pics:
IMG_0505_1828.jpg
IMG_0510_1832.jpg
IMG_0516_1836.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Well the pressure was on today as my wife the whiting master and i had a guest onboard (nicole from fishing monthly) i actually think she came to check to see if all the pictures and stories i have been posting are true.....
So of we went and thank heaven the school mackerel played there part we managed 3 nice fish and even saw a few schools of spottys but not fast enough to get there,we decided on some whiting and were not dissaipointed the whiting master true to form caught his share as did my wife and nicole cleaned up as well so after 50 plus nice size whiting we called it a day with everyome tal=king home some fresh whiting and mackerel fillets.the squid did not come up at green so a little upsetting we could not get some black ink over nicole but there is alaways next time,it was a pleasure to have nicole aboard today and we all had a wonderful day..so be careful this weekend on the ammount of boats out there today and the ammount going out this afternoon as we were comming back we might need traffic lights over the next few days.spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Just a quick note and i dont want to scare folks from spending a few days on the water but i am a little concerned with the forecast of the thunderstorms predited sunday and monday as i remmeber in the past the storms a pretty severe when they come thru this time of the year ,so everyone keep an eye out sunday and monday afternoon and anchor up with plenty of chain or rope out overnight ..keep safe spero

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Thanks for the trip Spero, it was fantastic. Still can't believe it took the Whiting Master a whole 20 seconds from lines down until he hooked up. I've never experienced such good whiting fishing -- and for you guys it was nothing special! And you were right about the eating qualities of schoolies; if someone took the skin off a fillet and told me it was a spotty, I'd never have noticed the difference. Top day.
IMGL0832sml.jpg
IMGL0876sml.jpg
IMGL0819sml.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Hope everyone is having a great easter, and i have to say it looked scary last night thank heavens it did not make it to the bay.

anyway the good news the whiting are thick on the bank on the right hand side entering small boat passage but up on the banks not like usual in the deeper water, and the schoolies (big ones) are running thru the shallows as well. We picked up 4 on friday floating out pillies and 3 yesterday doing the same thing in the first deeper gutter of the bank.

Had a troll around the hope and usual spots and picked up many small ones and there were also little blue fin tuna starting to feed. we went over to the sandhills for a couple of days and the school mackerel were in plague proportions on the new go slow yellow in front of the entrance to the blue hole. My wife and i picked up 12 in one run and released another 8 on the second run. They were sitting in the 18 to 23 ft water mark as the tide was going out.

the mack tuna were in there thousands but in between i spotted two schools of spottys and i picked up two on slugs. The trouble was the small tuna and the blue fins were smashing everything in sight, they were feeding even next to the 142 boats anchored up in front of the sandhills..and you had to miss the hundreds of crab pots.

I have to say i have never seen that many boats in the bay, so please be careful out there. I could tell you about some doozies i witnessed but we might leave that for another day. Looks like a great no wind week so if you can get over to the sandhills its probably worth the effort. Also i forgot to mention we cleaned up on tiger squid anchored east of the entrance of the blue hole in the late afternoon in 8 ft of water. Until next time good fishing, spero

davidw

Post by davidw » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 am

hi spero, I have just joined the fishing monthly community, loving it. I am taking my 15yo son and a few of his cousins fishing on the boat this coming weekend. As a novice, I am reading your blog to get some ideas, really great info, thanks. I am thinking we will troll the hope banks, then hunt around Maroom banks / Chain Banks for tuna and mackerel? Anyhow, keep the reports coming and here's hoping for great weather this weekend to follow a great Easter. Cheers

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:59 pm

first david w send me an email sperok@ozemail.com.au and will try and help with what you might need for trolling and such..
Great day on the bay again today the weather is unreal ,the whiting master and i went out for a fish ,we picked up two very large spottys on the way out between green and hope banks ,and we went for our usual on the banks for whiting south of the small boat channel not thick but managed 65 really good quality fish and lost a couple to some good looking schoolies.
over to the 12 ft hole in the small boat passage to clean and have some lunch,I have to tell you we have had a can of spam in the boat for 4 years and we decided to have spam and eggs ,we have not eaten spam for 20 o=plus years and now we both know why it was nothing like what we remmembered it was terrible ,thank heaven i had brought squid paila in the oven..
any way back to the cleaning and fishing ,,put out two floating pilles only a couple of feet under the float as the grinners and pike get them any deeper and the schoolies were there ,we managed 4 nice fish in 12 ft of water and you can see them behind the boat it was lots of fun.
we came back to green as the whiting master wanted to have a mixture of seafood for his party tommorow night and we picked up 8 very hungry tiger squid,so another great day on the bay that has no fish in it...till tommorow spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Another dead calm day on the bay and as i write this the rain is comming down in buckets over manly (yippeeee).
the squid are in the bay in unbelievable numbers i went to the small ship channel this morning so i could see what time the school mackerel were comming thru and the big tiger squid were grabbing every pilly i was putting out but they were at there best at slack water when the tide started running the stopped chasing but the schoolies came on at half tide and they are big fish,the schoolies were not in great numbers around the hope banks but were in better numbers on the western side of the beacon this morning a couple of readers of the column showed me 4 to 5 fish each so they were there ..i came back to green could not help myself needed to make sure the squid were there as well and i have to say i have not seen that many since this time last year i caught and released 15 squid .for all who are chasing a feed of squid you need to go to the 3 to 4 ft mark near the island on the high tide and then closer to the southern yellow on the low tide,i have also found in the shallow water they attack better away from the boat and the colour they are going for better then anything else is dark red and black prawn patterns followed by the good old orange stripe prawn pattern..the nudies are working ok as well..so get some ink on you and catch some squid..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:35 am

Its been great to get some excellent feedback on how succesful all the paravane fishing in the bay has been from new time users...
got a report from one of our readers doug to let us know there were spotties on the surface on the western side of mud island towards the shipping channels and schoolies as well,i should have twiged the other day when i saw one of the line professional heading that way at hundreds of miles an hour especially as his crabpots are at the southern part of the bay,but ofcourse he did not stop to pass on any info,never mind we still can find them without there help sometimes.. spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:25 am

Hi Must get into the squid thanks for report and info much appreciated

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:54 pm

i received this today from a good friend of the column. Thank you for sending this Andrew, I thought this was fantastic.

"Day 1 – headed out on Saturday and just decide to stay in the bay as NE was blowing very strong and wave and swell action was bad but the bay was a little better. I decided to try paravaning in the little bay. As I got into the little bay I noticed 5 birds attacking the surface on the edge of the rough water so I drove half a nautical mile of the beach to investigate and saw a 1.5m tightly packed bait ball. I threw the $3 lure you made that's sold at Watertower Bait as you mentioned. On my first cast and within 2 secs of lure hitting water it was game on! My reel just screamed at me with line peeling off. I was using a Stradic 5000 with 30lb braid on a 5-10kg rod. I knew it was a big fish by the way the reel was going, and after 20 minutes of fighting and the fish pulling my tinny into rougher water I got to see colour. I knew it was tuna or Spanish mackerel but could not tell and which fish it was. I have never caught either. It made a massive run again after it saw the boat.

I was getting concerned with fighting it in the rough water so I tried to get it back to the boat by tightening up the drag. I got it back but it was bending my rod radically under my boat and then… SNAP! My rod broke into 4 bits, landing in the water and I only had the stub with one eye and my reel. I let the drag off and the fish ran again. I tried fighting it but realised I had no chance so my only option was to drag it slowly with the boat back to shore in the hope I could beach. So I travelled back at 5-6 knots and played with him all the way over half a nautical mile and beached my boat through the small waves (luckily). I saw my wife and kids on the beach so I yelled to my wife to hold the boat and my rod whilst I put on my gloves. I gave the rod to my 8 year old son and told him to walk up the beach, and I pulled the line in by hand while maintaining a tight line. I got the fish into the shallows and then finally saw it was LONGTAIL TUNA, so I jumped at it and grabbed the tail and dragged him in. I was like an adrenaline junky once I had landed him! Some divers came ashore in their boat and weighed it for me and it weighed 20kg.

The rod manufacturers were told the story too on their Facebook page. They were delighted with my tale and photo and they have said they will give me a new rod free of charge. So stoked!"

[attachment=0]IMG_0363.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_0363.jpg