10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 4/4/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:21 am

Imagine if we had weather like this all the time? never mind we just need to enjoy while it lasts, the fish did not go on holidays for Easter but stayed around. The mackerel are still here and the schoolies should get better with the winter months coming (maybe) soon. The whiting are in excellent numbers and quality, the squire are just waiting to be caught, and those tasty little squid are coming into the bay in great numbers again, the same as last year.

We had our grandkids Sam and Nick for a day on the boat on Saturday. We were off to the entrance of the rous on the exposed banks for a swim, but decided on some fishing on the way out. We trolled to the small boat channel but not a scale. It was the first time in months we didn't get a mackerel on the way around the hope banks, so we went to catch a few whiting on the bank. We managed 15 nice fish so we went to the little deep hole to clean the whiting and have some morning tea. Put out two floating pillies and asked the kids if they wanted to cast for some squid. Well, all hell broke loose! Squid everywhere, ink flying in all directions and both rods started screeching with the pillies on -- one was a big schoolie and the other a small reef shark. There were gaffs and nets flying all over the place! Our granddaughter caught 8 squid and grandson managed 3 and a big mackerel, so it was lots of fun. And we didn't get any ink on anyone, unbelievable. We cleaned up and off to the bank for a swim. The water was lovely and even managed to scrub the old boat hull. We had a great time and the kids had a wonderful time as well, and home for a wood fire oven pizza. Life is good. Good fishing, spero
IMG_0527_1838.jpg
IMG_0526_1837.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 4/4/16

Post by sperok » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:38 pm

Weather was too good not to go out for a couple of days ,and was desperate for some squire afetr a few readers were asking me about them to catch in moreton bay,so off i went yesterday trolled to the small boat channel and picked up one decent schoolie and caught and released 20 under size ones(its going to be a good schoolie winter season) caught about 20 whiting on the bank and went to the lazaret for the afternoon an evening session,tides were all wrong and ofcourse but the weather was good,did a troll around the front of the lazaret as there were baitballs up and fish slicing thru them ,i would have bet my last dollar that they were spotties but the old cruiser just could not get ther fast enough,but managed two really nice schoolies so whatever was chopping there were schoolies under them.
The squire session was a bit of a fizzer the wind was holding the boat back the front and the little bronze walers were in ubundance thank heavens the 5.0 jarvis walker snapper hooks are as cheap as chips at kmart.i lost count how many times i got beaten off and to top it off my wifes favourite creaters tuened up the family of dolphins managed two squire around 40 and the dolphin dad took the next two ,that was it i gave it away.
This morning went for a troll and lots of boait on the first green infront of the lazaret but hundreds of baby schoolies,the water in the small boat channel was very merky today and did not see any squid,but stopped at green for two nice ones in 3 ft of water if i went any shallower i could have been there for the night,hopefully the water clarity improves over the next few days as the weather looks great to be on the bay,taking out the boys tommorow for a whiting session,so will report in tommorow night.and now of to buy a freezer as old faithful is on its last legs as i speak.
A good friend cleaned up on squid at the blue hole and also schoolies this morning at the entrance to the blue hole infront of the go slow yellow..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Another lovely day on the bay the boys had a ball the whiting master ,doctor spot,and bomber bill were at there best the whiting were in excellent numbers at the half tide gutter,the squid came on there as well at the change of the tide and a couple of big schoolies as well so lots of fun ,the trolling did not ammount too much on the way out and the way in many many undersize schoolies and only one decent fish there and back ,the boys wanted more squid on the way home so green island for a quick session and they bagged another 6 so all were happy as pigs in mud..and home for a tempura feast..the weather looks great for the next few days so we might need to go back and relax......while fishing..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Decided on a few days out but the anchor winch decided it was time not to work anymore so spend the day out and came home and what a glorious night its going to be never mind it was a great day out ,just my wife and myself,we went out and anquored at my favourite spot at green island and caught two nice squire one 42 and the other just on 35 and ofcourse a small bronze whaler (they must be in great numbers in the bay) and then went for a little troll while waiting for the high tide to go and anchor up for some schoolies in the small boat passage managed a few small schoolies and one nice big chumpy one but with no anchor winch we decided to spend the time seeing which squid jig colours work the best at green island,well what an afternoon i have never seen that many squid attacking the lures so hard we had 2 to 3 behind the boat everywhere we looked ,interesting enough when we started i saw a couple come up at slack water and then nothing for an hour or so and as the tide started to pour out they must have heard a lunch bell ,we kep 6 and released 20 plus it was one of the best squid sessions i have had and no black ink on the boat or on us ...very happy..so if you are after a squid feed i think its a good time to get out there and get a few..the colours that worked the best were the dark red and black stripe ,orange and black striped and i tried a new silver one looking like a pilchard/prawn and worked very well ,the one that they did not want to know about was the bright green prawn one..so good squid jigging spero

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:14 am

Some more pics from a recent trip.
Attachments
IMG_0540_1841.jpg
IMG_0535_1839.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:50 am

Had an interesting report from a master restaurateur LE MIR (at east coast marina) and an ok fisherman(hope he does not read this) this week re catching a black king fish at the start of the rous channel at the red and green markers while fishing for whiting, many years ago we would catch some nice small king on the shallows but have not heard of them beeing caught for a very long time so might be worthwhile like chris having a whole squid on a 3 gang hook floating out the back in the next few weeks in that area or even further into the rous..lets hope these easterlys blow out and we can get out for a fish..spero
ps ..i have to give the east coast restaurant a plug here ..the food is excellent...and young chef Pim does a wonderful job..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:27 pm

Lets just say old and stupid and cant spell La Mer is the restaurant.and the fact that i see it everyday and still cant spell it..what hope is there for me...???spero
ps ..thanks andrew....

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:13 am

If venturing out over the weekend it would be worth a troll or a drift with pillies in the area in front of the lazaret to the banks north as there were some nice schoolies and broads caught there yesterday,and the winds dont look that bad once you get over there,good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Monday was a nice day on the water. It started with southwesterlies 10 to 12 but eased and went around to southeast 10 to 12. I decided to troll over to peel on the northwestern side in front of the lazaret to see for myself if the broads and schoolies were still there -- and you guessed it, they were. We caught two of the biggest fish i have seen for a long while, the first one was a 87cm spotty on the paravane just west of the hanlon light, and the second monster was a broad bar east of the hanlon light just off the banks in the channel. Also got one nice schoolie but lots of undersize ones.

It's looking like a great day out for some whiting tomorrow. It will take a week to eat these buggers... good fishing, spero
Attachments
IMG_0545_1849.jpg
IMG_0541_1845.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 pm

Another lovely day on the bay. Good fishing and some real oddities happening as well. Got 3 really nice schoolies on the way on the western side at the start of the hope banks and off to the whiting grounds, tried the spot where they were last week at the entrance to the small boat channel but not a touch so up we went to the next set of marks past the 1st go slow yellow. The fish were fantastic quality and numbers we picked up our 50 plus in good time in around 7 ft of water. As soon as you dropped into the 10 to 12 ft not a touch. Saw about 4 boats fishing in a green zone on the maroom banks, so be careful how far you go on the bank.

We anchored up in my usual spot in the small gutter in the channel scale and filleted our whiting and picked up another big schoolie on a floating pillie. Then we hooked a very large flounder on a floating pilchard! It's the biggest flounder i have ever seen in the bay but to pick him up on a floating pillie on a float was amazing. Of course, I lost it. I said to the Whiting Master "i got you something special for dinner" and promptly dropped it next to the boat. Then he hooked onto a octopus and then a cuttlefish so there were three things we hardly ever catch in the bay on line. We had a great day and the good news my winch is fixed and did not cost a fortune so happy days again. spero
Attachments
IMG_0548_1852.jpg
IMG_0547_1851.jpg
IMG_0546_1850.jpg

Skin

Post by Skin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi Spero

I occasionally go for squid, normally on the weed beds by Curtin Reef, but want to do more of it. Is there a prime time for squid i.e. run out tide, slack water etc? I haven't done it regularly enough to pick up the ideal tide to fish for them

Any indications how long the tuna might stay in the northern bay this year?

Regards

Richard

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:36 pm

hi skin
squid are funny creatures just when you think you have the tides right they turn up when you dont expect them.but over the year like fish if you fish the outgoing tide following the dropping water levels on the banks i find the squid doing the same think going deeper as the tide is dropping eg green island on the start of the full tide they are up in 2 to 3 ft of water and by the low water they are in 6 to 7 ft mark,so i find outgoing the best and a good run in the tide as well.
the same over at moreton on the weed banks at high tide those really shallow weed banks seem to always hold squid.
I dont know how long to be honest as they came in really late in the bay this year we hardly saw one when the spottys were running and yet a couple of weeks ago over at the sandhills they were in the thousands,down towards mud and peel one day they are up and next day you dont see one at all.the water temp has dropped by 6 to 7 degrees in the bay and the spottys have gone deep and really should be leaving the bay but i caught 2 yesterday and a friend of mine caught one today.plenty of bait in the bay so the tuna should stay for a while.i hope..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Had a good report from a follower of the blog advising there have been lots of banana prawns at dawn at nudgee beach 3 to 4 mts of water...many thanks ton

Skin

Post by Skin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:43 am

sperok wrote:hi skin
squid are funny creatures just when you think you have the tides right they turn up when you dont expect them.but over the year like fish if you fish the outgoing tide following the dropping water levels on the banks i find the squid doing the same think going deeper as the tide is dropping eg green island on the start of the full tide they are up in 2 to 3 ft of water and by the low water they are in 6 to 7 ft mark,so i find outgoing the best and a good run in the tide as well.
the same over at moreton on the weed banks at high tide those really shallow weed banks seem to always hold squid.
I dont know how long to be honest as they came in really late in the bay this year we hardly saw one when the spottys were running and yet a couple of weeks ago over at the sandhills they were in the thousands,down towards mud and peel one day they are up and next day you dont see one at all.the water temp has dropped by 6 to 7 degrees in the bay and the spottys have gone deep and really should be leaving the bay but i caught 2 yesterday and a friend of mine caught one today.plenty of bait in the bay so the tuna should stay for a while.i hope..spero
Thanks Spero, will try the weed beds next time I'm out if tides are right. One last question, what's the easiest way to skin squid. I find it very difficult. Looked up on google and they make it look so easy on the videos. Is it best to do them when very fresh, or put them in the fidge and do them when they're really cold, or is there any other technique. Thanks Skin