10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 25/4/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:02 pm

As most readers of the column would know, I don't promote many items unless they are very good quality, affordable and work well. I found in my dad's old tackle box a couple of plastic Smiths Jigs that he used to troll behind our old 14ft wooden homemade boat in Port Phillip Bay, Vic for coutta and small king fish in the late 50s and early 60s when I was 6. (I don't know why they're called jigs when they're made for trolling, but who cares as long as they work!) I decided to give them a try for mackerel in Moreton Bay. I didn't mention them in my reports because I didn't know whether they would work. I also wanted to find out if they actually were available to purchase. Amazingly though, a couple of very observant readers picked up on the photo last week with the Smith jig in the mackerel mouth. Well done!

The results have come in and I have to say it's all good news.

Firstly, they are available from Halco exactly made like the original ones in three colors, white, red, and silver. Secondly, they work so well I actually was jumping up and down with joy (luckily there were no boats around me) at my excitement to see a 87cm spotty being the first fish on a white 3" model. It went on to out-fish the spoon 5 to 1 on the day. Caught 8 schoolies and a broad and the silver spoon only managed 2 schoolies. I still think in the long run the spoons might be better, but it was great to see these antique lures working so well. Like they say, what's new is old and what's old is new. The old fishermen knew what they were doing, so get yourselves a couple to try and see how you go.

One other thing to mention is that they're built and made to swim like the paravane, so my next move will be to try trolling them without a paravane for tuna and bonito. I think its something that might work really well in the bay.

I rang a few shops to see if they carry them and did not have much luck. At least Water Tower Bait & Tackle got some in so if you are in the area you can get one to try.

I'm now looking at what else is old to try in this century. If anyone has tried any old lures or anything else, let me know. I am sure lots of us would like to try. Good fishing, spero (sperok@ozemail.com.au)
IMG_0542_1846.jpg
smithjig.jpg
smithjig.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 6050 times

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 25/4/16

Post by sperok » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

hi skin
i have never skinned a squid in my life its what makes them taste great.we eat all the tenticles and the flaps and i even keep the ink sacks to have black ink pasta ,i only throw out the insides and the see thru back bone and that its and only clean them in sea water as with all my seafood ,no fresh water on anything from the sea..
spero
anything else i can try and help with email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:23 am

Lots of schoolies at sharkspit on the incomming tide just south of the go slow beacon but flipper and his family are hanging around so getting a fish in the boat might be a little harder then normal,a friend had to skulldrag a few fish to get them in the boat before flipper got them.looks like a nice few days comming up and after all these south easterlies the fish should be there in numbers..good fishing spero

tony srbinovski

Post by tony srbinovski » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 am

sperok wrote:Lots of schoolies at sharkspit on the incomming tide just south of the go slow beacon but flipper and his family are hanging around so getting a fish in the boat might be a little harder then normal,a friend had to skulldrag a few fish to get them in the boat before flipper got them.looks like a nice few days comming up and after all these south easterlies the fish should be there in numbers..good fishing spero
Hi spero, iam quite new to moreton bay. Can you explain where the sharkspit is please?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 am

hi tony
no problem its the first point south of tangalooma spit it is marked with a go slow yellow beacon,the school mackerel have been sitting back about 200 mts south east of the yellow marker in about 23 ft of water with the incomming tide..any else i can help with please email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au...thank you spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun May 01, 2016 10:43 am

Just got back in and the weather played its part till early sunday morning when it decided to howl from the north,but as the morning wore on the rain/drizzle arrived and the winds abated,my wife and i went out for a few days and i told here it was going to be a take it easy week end and not a fishing one(i lied)..
The fishing was fantastic on the way out on friday we were going to go to shark spit and the sandhills but it was bucketing down so peel it was with knowing it was an outgoing tide in the afternoon,we picked up two nice schoolies on the peel side of the hope banks and managed two very nice spotties in front of the lazzaret gutter towards stradbroke where the deep water meets the banks,these spottys must be the stragglers left behind.
Anchored up at the lazaret for a squire night and managed 4 nice fish but lots of small fish as well.
on saturday it was another troll back towards the small boat channel and we caught and release 4 nice schoolies and 8 small fish as well,we anchored in the little deep hole just inside the small boat channel where there is some nice weed and it drops to 12 ft and and put out two floating pillies as i have been catching some big schoolies there ,well the schoolies did not turn up but Xlarge squid turned up in great numbers ,my wife was having a ball catching and releasing these giants i have not seen that many aggressive squid before we kept 5 gave a couple away and release 15 thats how many were there,so we cleaned up and came back to green for a small squire session as the high tide was ar 3 pm , there were 7 to 8 boats and the fishing was hot for two hours we caught 3 really nice squire a verynice sweetlip and a flathead of good size and i dropped another 4 to 5 squire so we left and fished southern end of green to see if the squid were still there and they were we caught and release a dozen or so.so for a non fishing week end it was fantastic..(and my wife liked it as well)..good fishing spero
Attachments
IMG_0555_1854.jpg
IMG_0554_1859.jpg
IMG_0553_1858.jpg
IMG_0550_1860.jpg
IMAG0961.jpg
IMAG0950.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue May 03, 2016 10:50 am

Hi Prawns are just about finished so back to fishing the great morteon bay YAHOOOO

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue May 03, 2016 2:33 pm

Some excellent reports sent to me by some off our readers with good catches of squid and school mackerel on floating pillies ,just remmeber to put a float on to stop the grinners from eating the pillie all the time and also keep an eye on the float as squid are attacking the pillies as well, in the small boat channel but most told me not many whiting around in the past few days ..
the school mackerel were in really good nimbers at shark spit on the paravanes..
and today the big tiger squid decided to come see east coast marina around where the the crane master operates(shane) what the poor squid did not know is that i have made up a squid jig on an old rod and reel which sits permanetly in the boys office so one is dinner tonight..
good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 04, 2016 3:44 pm

couple of nice days on the bay today was like a summer day..the schoolies are sticking around picked up two on the troll in the morning one was a monster 87 cm just wide of green towards the hope bank but closer to green before the trench in 24 ft of water before it drops to 35 to 40 ft ,the squid were in great numbers again at green picked up six in 4 to 5 ft of water.went out to the small boat passage to see if the big squid and schoolies were there for a couple of hours and did not see a thing,there is lots of slime in the water and the water is very dicoloured after that rain compared to the week end which was crystal clear..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu May 05, 2016 6:50 pm

Gee another nice day on the water my old friend jerry came out with me today for a fish and he was not dissapointed.we started at green as he had never caught a squid before and we managed a nice half dozen and he go hooked i think he wants to go squid fishing all the time ,they were not as aggressive today and there were times we had two to three next to the boat but would not take a jig ,as the tide started to run out they got better and better and more aggressive.
we trolled to peel for 3 schoolies 1 keeper and two undersize,in front of the lazaret toward stradbroke DIALBA passage marker
we picked up two big spotties on the troll and when we stopped for lunch anchored up in 15 ft of water on the bank and managed two schoolies and another big spotty,i really dont know why the spotties are hanging around in this area..
but i am glad they are..hope these weather stays, its fantastic..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun May 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Wife away visiting sick mum in melbourne so had nothing better to do then go fishing..went out early for a troll between green island yellow and hope and picked up 2 great spottys and about 6 undersize schoolies ,i really dont know what the spottys are doing still here ,interesting they both had nothing in there stomachs at all completely emty.
At high tide went back to green to see if the tiger squid were still there and there was plenty of boats looking for them and getting there fair share ,as the tide started to run they were very aggressive had 4 to 5 around the boat ,kept 4 and released the rest there size was much bigger then the ones we caught early in the week ,and interesting the bigger ones were in the deeper water 5 to 6 ft as the smaller ones were in 3 t4 ft.. ended up having a little fish for squire at green with the outgoung tide managed one 38 and dropped a 40 plus ,never mind lovely day ..boat maintance this week injectors are getting done on the old girl and i am sanding and varnishing doors...fun of boating..good fishing till next week
spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed May 11, 2016 5:54 pm

If the weather predictions are anything to go by then if i was a fish in moreton bay i would be concerned ,the school mackerel are still in good numbers at the shark spit and in front of the go slow yellow at the entrance to the blue hole 18 to 25 ft of water all the way from the yellow to the green to the west follow the dropp off and try and stay in that depth range if you go to shallow the grinners will advise you.the sharkspit yellow is also fishing well as mentioned before in the deeper hole back from the yellow towards the island again follow the drop off .
The schoolies are hit and miss from a size point of view lots of small ones one day and then some very large ones,and as reported the spottys are hanging around i have been picking them up in 23 to 28 ft of water in a line from the king island red to the hope bank beacon most times before you get to the banks and just before it drops to 45 to 50 ft deep,also some really nice fish in front of the lazaret towards stradbroke island in the basin before the sandbanks ,they seem to be a little shallower in 16 to 19 ft of water.
whiting were in good numbers in the usaual spots in the small boat passage and the rous and also the navel bank beacon.
and the squid were in excellent numbers at green many photos arrived in my email with some great photos of tiger squid,interesting there were a few cuttlefish in the deeper holes in the rous and small boat passage,i was asked the other day if you can eat cuttlefish,not only yes you can but they are even sweeter and thicker then squid (i prefer them) but they are ugly.
also many questions this week re how not to get inked,and as i have seen some unbelievable answers to this over the years like leaving them in the water till the ink runs out and so andd so this is what i have found to work the best(still get inked sometimes)
when you get them next to the boat if you lift them without a net i grab them between the head and the body and turn them upside down ,this gets rid of all there water as without water they cant mix the ink to spurt out,so no water in them no can spurt ink.if you are netting them same thing sometimes they hold water and then let you have it do the same hold them upside down to release the water..
so happy fishing i will be watching everyone go out as the injector pump is beeing overhauled and not back till next week,if you catch plenty let me know so we can help other fisherman get a few email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu May 19, 2016 11:37 am

Thank you to all the readers that emailed me with pictures and details of the fishing in the bay the last 3 to 4 days.and also thank you for telling me to pass on the info,i think we are finally getting to the point of feeling like we all can help other fisherman catch a fish or two and where they can catch them.
green is really going off with squid from small to xlarge tigers
the rous /small boat channel where they meet has some lovely whiting but not in great numbers also lots of schoolies eating the whiting so it seems the schoolies are starting to go back to there normal areas and a few fish were also caught at the last four reds in the rous so with the predicted southerly and little cold snap(joke) the schoolies should get better and better,it will be amazing as they have been in plentiful numbers all summer so cant wait for the weather to cool down .
also spottys have been taking live baits at harries and i was advised by one of our readers two nice jewies caught as well on plastics.
the squire have again been ok but not great a friend is going out tonight for a serious fish i will let you know how he goes.
and what weather this is .i think a few days off were taken as there were lots of boats going out while i was varnishing and cleaning the boat..
lets hope this weather continues and the fishing as well.good fishing spero
ps..thank you to all the fiherman inviting me to go out fishing while old westray is waiting for a new fuel injector pump,all getting done tommorow ..thank you ..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat May 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Some people have all the luck,good friend shane went over to get some schoolies at sharck spit this morning managed 3 keepers and flipper took the rest but like a few years back he hooked onto a baby marlin again,this time he dropped it as last time he got it into the boat but tells me this was a baby baby ,amazing what you can hook up on paravanes with a 3 inch spoon. boats comming past this morning tell me it was quite lumpy out there..spero