10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 24/7/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:14 pm

I must be getting old as winter must have gone and it's summer already (and my wife is happier coming out with me with the warmer weather) and what a week on the bay! Dead calm seas, lots of whiting in our usual haunts and some nice school mackerel turned up in the rainbow channel and in front of the lazaret on the drop off in the weed banks. Arrow and tiger squid came back on the bite so there is no complaint coming from me fishing-wise. I think the smaller tides might bring on the squire around the bay islands as well in the coming week, we will have to go out and try and get some.

Interestingly, while fishing for whiting this week we picked up a couple of nice flounder which I love to eat but never really target. They always seem to be a by catch, but its the sort of by catch I really enjoy, especially as they were full of roe –- as are lots of the big whiting. Sometimes i think we should be throwing the bigger whiting back that are full of roe and keeping the smaller ones, just a thought. Til next time, good fishing - spero
IMG_20160719_103301.jpg
IMG_20160719_074956.jpg
IMG_20160710_124845.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 24/7/16

Post by sperok » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:59 pm

What great weather the last 4 days,the sunrises and sunsets are getting better every day,and the whiting were in great numbers over at the sandhills as were the arrow squid.
The go slow yellow in front of the big sandhill had lots of slimy weed and it was a pain every drift you were taking the slime of your hook and sinker all the time ,i found it easier to anchor up and managed plenty of fish this way ,interesting they were taking peeled prawns beter then any other bait,and yet when we moved in the late afternoon to the other side the go slow yellow infront of the entrance to the blue hole the prefered blood worms .
The arrow squid turned up on dusk as well so a good evening was had by all.
We looked all the way up to sharkspit for some schoolies but did not manage a hit at all i would think the ammount of slime in the water would not be helping at all.
We fished the rous in beween the yellow and the green at the entrance of fishermans gutter and saw a couple of school mackerel been caught on floating pillys,the whiting were in very good numbers and the arrow squid and tiger squid were again in the entrnce to the small boat passage but only came up on dusk and only were interested in one squid jig pattern the brown 3.5 gram tiger prawn colour ,all 8 squid went only to this jig and no other.
Fished greenisland and st helena for a few squire but only managed under size ones .
till next time good fishing spero
and it was nice to meet a few readers of the column out on the water..

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:12 am

A few more photos.
Attachments
IMG_0636_1927.jpg
IMG_0633_1933.jpg
IMG_0631_1931.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:27 am

Lets hope the winds abate in the next few days to get out for a fish,but i thought i would mention that for the first time i found live sea urchins for sale at ausie seafood shop at old cleveland road ,i have never seen them sold anywhere and i was very supprised,took a couple home as i have not had one since leaving victoria 45 years ago and to be honest i did not even remmeber what the roe tasted like or could remmember how to open them and clean them (thank heavens for you tube),but to my supprise it was delicious..so happy to see things like that sold in our seafood stores,also i read with some amazemment this week about more areas for trawling to be shut down in the courrier mail and i was taken back with the story about moreton bay scallops been caught ,i have never once in my life seen a sign in a fishshop advertising for sale moreton bay scallops,all i ever see is taiwan,japan and from india,and if we are lucky every blue moon we see tasmanian scallops ,would love to see more local caught product in our fish stores ...good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Last week was not great. The wind gods decide to play rough but the weekend turned out nice as did today. Went out for a fish for squire at the Lazaret and was not disappointed they were coming on the bite on sunday afternoon with the out goingtide around 3 pm. We got three very nice fish. The schoolies came back on the bite as well on the troll out from Huybers light on sunday afternoon. We picked up 2 going towards the hope bank beacon and another 3 in front of the green opposite the lazaret, incoming tide on sunday but outgoing this morning and two nice fish as well.
The whiting were in excellent numbers and quality today in the small boat channel. Seeing how many boats were up towards the where the rous meets the small boat passage i would think there were fish there as well.
It was good to see the squire back on the bite and the schoolies. T think the big tides and the dirty water had a lot to do with not catching many for the last few weeks. Today the water was crystal clear and hardly any slimy weed. Let's hope the Ekka westerlies stay away. good fishing spero
Attachments
IMG_0648_1936.jpg
IMG_0647_1935.jpg
IMG_0645_1934.jpg
IMG_0644_1938.jpg
IMG_0643_1937.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Another great day on the bay the whiting master came out with me today and he cleaned up.the whiting are excellent quality in the small boat passage and we managed to get around 80 in a couple of hours,we cleaned up and beeing a high tide i decided to try green island for squid on the way home as we have not seen there any for a while ,tried the 3 to 5 ft mark nothing at all so went to the 8 ft mark near the yellow and there they were really nice tiger squid so happy day.
funny thing today we were trolling on the way back as i picked up a couple of schoolies the other day and we saw two dolphins comming towards the boat with something shiny in ones mouth as it came closer it was a school mackerel ,it came really close to the boat as if to say this is how you do it ,pity we were not fast enough to get a photo..but the memmory will stay for ever.
till next time good fishing spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:27 am

Schoolies are back the fantastic bay is doing it again. Thanks for the informative report. Cheers stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:27 am

Weather is getting better and warmer thru the day,had a good day saturday with dead calm conditions after the south westerly in the morning the whiting are in excellent numbers in the small boat passage if anyone wants to go out for a feed,we never even drifted on sat ,dropped the pick in 8 ft of water and the whiting were thick, i tried isome plastic beach worms red colour worms and worked quite well as did squid strips and peeled prawns as i am running out of my favourite whiting bait which was red coloured cured beachworms which you cant get anywhere any more.i wish the young man making them would start again,went over to st helena for a midday squire fishing try and managed lots of wobegongs in all sizes and only a couple of squire undersize,boat drifting with plastics managed a couple of keepers and a couple of tailor as well,we went on dusk to the southern end of green for a squid fish with the light on and a couple of tiger squid visited so great day and night in the bay,good fishing spero

HarryT

Post by HarryT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:25 am

I've read this forum for some time now and enjoy the honest reports from Spero. I went out to the entrance to the small boat passage on Thursday morning to check out the whiting action and scored more than a good feed. To confirm what Stanau reported I spotted mackeral feeding on the surface in numbers, heaps of baitfish everywhere. Cruisin with Harry.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Thank you for those kind words and to all who email to say they like the reports,re mackerel on the surface i have a feeling they were mack tuna and bonnito there were also a few small schools of tailor chopping about,i would great if anyone caught any mackerel on the surface as there should not be any at the momment in the bay apart from schoolies and they dont feed on the surface often at all i think i have seen them once in many many years..but odd things to happen so if you could advise me on sperok@ozemail.com.au that would be great...thanks again spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Couple of great days on the bay today was a great day ,especially if you are after school mackerel and whiting,the rainbow channel has plenty of fish from tailor .bonnito and school mackerel the only problem most of the schoolies are under size (be great in about a month) but the lagoon in front of the lazaret is alive with schoolies again lots of smaller ones around the 40 t0 45 cm mark but there are also some 75 and 80 cm ones we managed 8 monster ones today and released over 30 small ones.
and the whiting are in great numbers and quality all the way in to the small boat channel and the rous not hard to get a fresh feed of fish weather permiting..good fishing spero

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:36 am

Why no photos this time? I love seeing photos of big schoolies

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:03 pm

The schoolies are running well today was another ecxellent morning with lots of much bigger fish and not as many under 50 cm ones. kade and mackenzie were out with their dad shane (east coast marina dry storage and boat slipping manager) and caught some really nice fish. Hope the weather holds for a while ..spero
Attachments
IMG_7321.JPG
IMG_0657_1948.jpg
IMG_0656_1947.jpg
IMG_0655_1946.jpg
IMG_0654_1945.jpg

jimjim04

Post by jimjim04 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:34 pm

Awesome work Spero you are the mackerel master where did you get into them today???

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:28 am

The schoolies have been thick this morning between the southern tip of green island and the hubers light st green in 17ft of water.
Attachments
IMG_7322.JPG