Water Tower Bait & Tackle
10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
tony srbinovski

Re: Report 24/7/16

Post by tony srbinovski » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:22 am

Nicole Penfold wrote:The schoolies have been thick this morning between the southern tip of green island and the hubers light st green in 17ft of water.
Hi, just wondering how you have been catching the schoolies. If you are using a paravane and your technic as I have never had any lucky using a paravane. Maybe I am doing something wrong. And what speed do you troll at? Great catch by the way. Thanks.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:23 pm

I have to say every now and then you have one of those days that stands above the rest,have had great schoolie fishing over many years where they have been thick especially at the 4 reds in the rous many years ago and also where the rous meets the small boat channel but today was exceptional.decided to go out again around the lazaret as the schoolies have been there in good numbers,so down to the boat this morning met my friend who has a boat next to me ,i have set him up with a paravane and spoon and he sent thru a picture of a nice big mackerel he caught going out on saturday ,and informed me this morning he caught it going past the huybers beacon at king island,so on the way out this morning i decided to put the paravanes out well and truly inside the bay before i got close to king island and it was like a turkey shoot i have not had that many mackerel hit ,caught quota in an hour released another 7or 8 well over the limmit and caught and released 30 plus undersize,and that was by 8.30 am.it was one of those unbelievable days and was wondering to myself all those years with a fast boat how i never ever fished any of these areas so the slow boat has really opened up areas i had never fished before, and so close to home..(tony email me on sperok@ozemail.com.au and happy to try and help you get a few schoolies..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:45 pm

I dont know whats happened but the mackerel are in unbelievable numbers between the southern yellow at green and huybers light at king island they were there again this morning ....in great numbers.and excellent size most are 60 to 70 with some bigger ones thrown in but still lots of 40 to 45 as well..if you can get out there for an hour its well worth it,they started again this morning at daybreak..paravaning has been working extremely well but decided to try floating pillies on the drift today and it worked really well ,so with an incomming tide if you start from the yellow all the way across to king island you should pick up a few....hope you can get out there for a fresh schoolie..spero

Ottburger

Post by Ottburger » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Hay guys,
Heading out from raby bay tomoz around 6am, anyone know where schoolies are at, will b heading lazeret way!
Will b in old savage half cab evinrude motor

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:35 pm

Went out for a look see this morning and it was miserably cold and the south wester was not pleasent either good 15 knots.the mackerel were there but no in the numbers that have been there on monday tuesday and wensday where they were nearly jumping into the boat,still most of the boats that were there about 9 caught plenty lost plenty and lots of undersize ones as well ,but went of the bite fairly early as the dirty water from the dredging started to come thru,i dont know if that was the problem today but at the end of the outgoing tide the water was definetly brownish,
a couple of things today the white smith jigs outfished all the spoons so definatly worth carrying one in the boat when not getting many hits,and a couple of fisherman were dropping lots of fish after hooking them ,just remmeber if you can to keep the boat in gear going forward ,because as soon as you have any slack when you hook the schoolies the can easily throw the hook.also try and keep the rods on an angle upwards the paravanes swim better in my oppinnion..
i was also told today the area in front of the lazaret out to the shallow water to the north is holding some nice schoolies with the incomming tide..hope the weather stays nice and everyone can get a fresh fish for dinner..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Hate to say looks like the schoolies have moved from our doorstep and are know in good numbers at the greens beacons on the way to peel ,many big fish cauf=ght today in a very short time..a troll from the eastern side of hope bank beacon to the first and second green will be the target..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 pm

For anyone who has the time, the school mackerel are in amazing numbers in front of the lazaret. we managed over 30 in an hour and they were that thick they were hitting the spoons 10 ft behind the boat most fish around 60 to 70 but a few were in the 80s. i have not seen them in these numbers for years and today very few small ones we only released 12 to 15 fish.undersize. great day had by all and the whiting and squid are also in excellent numbers in the entrance to the small boat passage. what a day on the bay! (to my turf friend not long to go to retirement the fish are waiting for you).
Attachments
IMG_0669_1959.jpg
IMG_0668_1958.jpg
IMG_0667_1957.jpg
IMG_0666_1960.jpg

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:01 pm

Wow. You legend. Catch them all then tell us about it. No wonder I can't catch any. Who are you selling them all to??

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Pretty sure you'll find that Spero doesn't sell them Captain .... for starters it's illegal. Nice haul Spero - I was out yesterday (were you heading towards the Small Boat Passage probably about 9ish? If so I was the white tinny who had started trolling just south of it - was a bit too bumpy to turn around and attempt a hello if it was you). I got one just legal at Wello Pt on a floating pillie but that was it - found a nice patch of bait between to two greens above Peel but could only manage a small tailor and nothing in front of the Lazaret. Do you normally find a particular part of the tide works best there or is it hit and miss?

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:48 am

Hi I trolled around Harries for about an hour without a bight should of been at Lazaret . I would love to know where go next time anyhow I caught 32 whiting at the Rouse then headed for Small Boat passage and caught another 5 . I got spooled on the whiting rod buy something big could not stop it.There was a lot of snot weed around , Cheers Stanau

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:54 pm

CaptainAwesome has finally overstepped the mark, and has been banned.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:21 pm

kmcrosby thank you for that ,you are correct have not sold a fish ever in my life ,friends and neighbours eat fresh fish when they are on .and i always tell fisherman as soon as i can where they are,anyway never mind ,took out a couple of friends again today as they love there fishing but dont get out often and they were over the moon with the ammount of fish again today in front of the lazaret most fish are around the 60 to 70 cm with a couple of 80s plus thrown in,as i said the the other days i maybe have seen them 10 times this thick in 20 years,at the momment it does not seem to bother them with the tide. ingoing or outgoing i sent a few boats over there yesterday and they caught some as late as 3 pm..the schoolies were even balling up sm=ome bait yesterday which again is not there pattern..thank you to all the emails yesterday from fisherman getting some nice fish your kind words are appreciated..spero

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi Keep writing those informative reports be lost without them.I will try Lazaret next time Thanks again Cheers Stanau

flynny

Post by flynny » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Good one spero

keep up the good work. Everyone on here appreciates it.
It annoys me when people whinge about fish people keep and catch, are they only happy if they buy them from a shop!!!
I am going for a troll around peel tomorrow wish me luck.

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:47 pm

Nicole Penfold wrote:CaptainAwesome has finally overstepped the mark, and has been banned.
Well done on that, he was getting annoying ..... onwards and upwards :P Would love to get out after some this weekend but the forecast isn't looking too flash, well at this stage anyway ....