10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 1/9/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Spero said I should submit this week's report, so here goes!

He had told me the action was hot, so I got my boss to let me go fishing yesterday. At Fishing Monthly, going fishing counts as work if you take photos for the magazine -- and I took lots because the action was as hot as Spero had promised! We'll use the photos in Spero's upcoming mackerel article, which will run next year.

We fished north of lazaret gutter in 22ft to 16 ft of water all the way into the basin. Spero said the fish started between Green Island and King Island the week before, and since last weekend could be found throughout the area from Huybers light to the Lazaret gutter (Spero said today he picked up a couple on the eastern side of the Hope Banks as well.) Halco and Makka spoons are both working extremely well, he says, as are white Smith jigs. Yesterday I requested that we try a bright orange one, seeing as we already had fish in the esky and nothing to lose, and that caught its share as well.

When we anchored up for lunch, the Whiting Master and I deployed pillies on ganged hooks under a float. Every pilly got hit, and the hits were so enthusiastic that the floats kept coming off. We caught a few more good fish that way, and I also caught another casting and retrieving a chromie.

Every fish I caught was a result of Spero saying, "Do such-and-such and you'll catch a fish". I certainly did. And it was awesome seeing readers out there getting into it as well.

Big thanks to Spero and the Whiting Master for an awesome morning! Myself and the team at Fishing Monthly feasted on smoked mackerel today, and it was fantastic. - Nic
icebox.jpg
Esky looking good.
Me.jpg
I'm used to holding macks that have been subdued with a donger, but Spero doesn't use one. He showed me how to hold the mack in a death grip so I wouldn't get ripped to mince.
Smoked.jpg
2 parts sugar to 1 part salt sprinked on the fillets, in the fridge for a few hours, then smoke for 20 mins.

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 1/9/16

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:28 pm

Windy but had to go out to see if the mackerel were still there, and with the school holidays and the predicted good weather next week (let's hope they are correct) i wanted to let you know they were there last sunday morning, and they were there again today. the only problem today was many many small fish. in 2 hours i released over 30 45cm fish, but managed some really nice ones in deeper water. As i said last week 16-18ft but the bigger fish today were in 23-30ft just east of the lazaret.
So with the amount of small fish i think this is going to be a very good school mackerel season.

A quick get well to a good friend who owns the restaurant at east coast marina, set him up last week to troll for some mackerel and the day after (i think it was all the excitement of catching heaps on the troll and the fact he nearly ran into us) decided to have a heart attack. thank heavens he's recovering well and is looking forward to some more mackerel fishing in a few week. he is going to enjoy a mackerel frame on the BBQ tonight. good fishing spero
Attachments
IMG_0683_1972.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:06 am

Hope they are still there on Monday if not east Hope Banks and yes with all the excitement I did gaff myself in the leg but kept on fishing more carefully.Thanks for report Cheers Stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:50 pm

yes a few accidents are happening with the excitmment of many fish comming aboard ,everyone has to be very careful as these toothie critters can do lots of dammage especially as double hookups are happening thick and fast and trying to get the fish in quick is creating a few close calls,from someone who had to have 14 stiches from one of these school mackerel a few years ago i am a lot more careful and very weary once in the boat,and with school holidays and young ones in the boat please be very careful..looks like there will be a few boats getting a few sunday monday tuesday...good fishing spero
Attachments
Spero_Arm.jpg

Ottburger

Post by Ottburger » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Trolled lazaret this morning between 6 am and 10, tried spoons and lazer lures, no luck! Flicked some plastics around, 1 pike! Not a good day although nice day on water

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:15 pm

ahh yes not great around the lazaret in the last few days i think the big fish have moved was there on sunday managed two fish worth keeping and 20 plus small buggers,spent overnight at the lazaret and decided to try this morning ,nothing where they have been but found lots of bonnito and tuna on the western side of the lazaret again 2 keepers and the rest again over 20 were undersize,over to rous and the small boat passage and the whiting are in excellent numbers the big fish are up at the rous /small boat passage and our good friend from curly one cleaned up.
i decided to troll on the way home and low and behold i got smashed by some unbelievable size mackerel out from the huybers light towards the hope bank beacon at 1.30 pm they were thick and the size was probably the biggest i have seen this year ..so its quite amazing where they turn up.good fishing spero
Attachments
IMG_0702_1986.jpg
IMG_0699_1992.jpg

stanau

Post by stanau » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:05 pm

I fished the green beacon at the start of Rouse and bagged out on medium size whiting in glassed out sea.I trolled for macks could not find them.cheers stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:20 pm

What a great day on the bay my best mate the whiting master and bomber bill(cant write what the whiting master calls him) decided a day on the bay,the plan was whiting in the morning and mackerel in the afternoon as they were thick there yesterday,but had to put the trolling lines in going over the ground and wowwww.the schoolies were ravenous and some were absolutely huge,caught 10 and caught and released 10 to 15 all legal only one undersize.so of to the whiting grounds at the start of the small ship channel dropped the pick in the weed bank on the right hand side and the boys cleaned up on whiting.
On the way back had to see if the schoolies were there and yes same area and again in big numbers and big fish all were caught and released till one decided to see if i could bleed and that was the end of the session what a day and what a joy to see so much fish in this bay ,i would say without a doubt one of the best school mackerel seasons in a very long time,cant waite for the spottys imagine the fun then..
the schoolies are also between st helena and green and there are some big whiting at the top of the rous .
No good venturing on the western side of moreton for schoolies all my reports are there were not many caught at all.rainbow channel still has plenty as the 4 reds at the end of the rous,but for fisherman not wanting to venture to far you cant beat the fishing at the momment just wide of the hyubers light in 32 ft of water for king size school mackerel,and the frames BBQ are a hit for anyone trying them...spero
Attachments
IMG_9494.jpg
IMG_9487.jpg
IMG_0704_1996.jpg

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:53 pm

Nice one Spero! That's some sensational school mackerel fishing - I'm busy Saturday and off to Noosaville from Sunday to Friday so will be itching to get a few cracks at them during the second week of the holidays. Enjoy those fillets and frames! Any squid still around or not really trying for them?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:08 am

Yes been lots of fun and it was good to see a few fisherman during the week getting a few,interesting a couple of very small schools chipped on the surface for a couple of seconds,i still cant believe there stomachs are completely empty apart from the ones that we are catching while burleying.i have not chased squid seriously for a little while but a couple of arrows swam past us at the rous the other day and i had to very large tigers come up to the surface at the lazaret gutter the other night ,i have never seen them swimming on the surface and picking in the floating weed.so they are still there its getting past those pesky school mackerel on the way to do something else that stops you dead in your tracks.enjoy noosaville great part of the world and i am pretty sure we will find the schoolies again somewhere in the bay..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:59 am

Couple of days on the bay friday and saturday ,lots of dirty water and big tides and the mackerel were still there but nowhere near the numbers of the past few weeks,managed 5 on friday and saturday and a few closer to green island and st helena,so i think when the water clears after the gale force winds on friday night (scarry overnight) a little bit of settled weather will bring them back on.
the whiting are still in great numbers in the rous.
having a few computer problems so if some emails dont get answered in the next few days you know why.i will reply to them as soon as i can..good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Nice day out on the bay ,seeing the colour of the water on the way out and two trawlers making the school mackerel area into mud did not thrill me either and on top of that the big tide really did not excite me at all ,not a hit on the way to the whiting grounds where the water was much cleaner but stillnot clean,the whiting were in excellent numbers but the quality was not as good as last week the boys picked up 50 plus so fresh whiting for dinner,trolled on the way back towards green where we picked up some on friday sat but only managed two undersize,i think peel migh be worth a look and the western side of moreton and on the weekend with the weather holding rainbow channel might be worth a go..till then good fishing

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:09 pm

Out for the last few days and i have to say the water cleared fairly well and there was only one trawler working on friday afternoon,we managed two really nice schoolies on the way out past the huybers as we were of to peel for the night ,lazaret was a no no all undersize fish ,the most frustrating night as there were many many squid but would not touch any squid jig from 1 inch ones to fluro nothing managed a couple with a spear but very hard work ,got up this morning and had a troll thru the area infront of the lazaret all small fish hooked 4 to 5 so decided to troll back towards the hope bank area ,i have to say we got smashed between the green triangle at the start of the small boat passage and west towards the hope banks we circled maybe 5 times and we had 6 big schoolies on board and that was enough for my wife and i so of for a few whiting and again in good numbers in the small boat channelwith a few tiger squid thrown in i think the squid will be better as the water clears even further,from all reports the schoolies were in a pretty large area from out of th hyubers light around the hope banks all the way to the eastern side of the hope banks.is was good to see many readers getting a few fish on board. good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:48 pm

Had to share this with all the readers,,i know some readers dont like me passing on info but i have to say this puts a smile on my face thats hard to wipe off. thanks spero
Hi Spero, my name's Jasper.

I am writing to say thank you for the great fishing tips. My dad ( Scott - silver cruisecraft at ECM) took me fishing this morning. He always reads your tips and is teaching me too.

Today we used some deltas to tow some halco smiths jigs north of the Hyubers light, across to the small boat passage, and back and forth.

My white halco caught 4 mackerel and dad's pink halco caught one ( small!) mackerel and about 20 grinners!!!

Thank you for sharing your tips , I had a great day!

Jasper ( and Scott ) Wedgwood
IMG_0838.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Went for a spin today but i have to say was not too pleasent in the morning and it was damn cold as well,but the schoolies are still there and the size is fantastic,but i am sick and tired seeing the rods buckle over and rushing to the back of the boat and seeing the big blue blubber jellyfish hiting the diving boards which look excactly like a fish strike till you see the boards are still swimmimg and not upturned,interesting i had a few email a few weeks back asking about getting strikes and not hooking the fish maybe the jellyfish is the answer.
Finally the south wester eased in the middle of the day waited to see if they would come on the bite with the slack low tide but it was not to be, plenty of stuff showing up on the bottom but managed just one schoolie and a little bull shark on a floating pillie when i stopped for a break.
Couple of boats went past and apart from the joggly conditions picked up some nice whiting in the rous and small boat passage.