10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 29/9/16

Post by Nicole Penfold » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:04 am

The school mackerel season keeps rolling on. Some weeks, depending on time tides, have been working better then others. I am still fascinated at how well the old Smith jigs work -- the ones that my father use to use in the late 50s. There are all these newfangled lures on the market which are computer generated, colourful and soft and this and that, but the old 2 bob (20c) lure from all those years ago works as well as anything.

The tides are really playing a part in when they are biting at the moment, so if you go in the same place at the wrong time you'll have no luck. However, when you get there when they are on, it's like they are sitting there with their mouths open waiting for the lure to fall in.

I have been saying for ages that their stomachs have been completely empty except when we have been berleying. Today was very interesting. I have mentioned the trawlers working in the bay and I have been seeing these images on the bottom near the area the trawlers are working in. 3 of the mackerel I caught yesterday had prawns in their stomachs, so I don't know if the trawlers are actually keeping them in the area.

The last few days have been good but action is slowing up as the water is getting a little murky. We will see how much rain and wind churns up the bay in the next day or so and see where they get to.

I have received some wonderful emails from happy families catching a feed of whiting and mackerel during the school holidays which is great to hear -- especially the young ones having fun out in the bay instead of their eyes glued to an iPad! Nothing beats sunshine, blue skies and fresh fish for dinner. Happy days.
IMG_20160928_080654.jpg
IMG_20160927_131003.jpg
IMG_0707_2001.jpg

stanau

Re: Report 29/9/16

Post by stanau » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Moreton Bay on a calm day there is nothing like it. Could they be prawns on that image and is ! hour either side of high or low tide the right time .Cheers Stanau and thanks for the report

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Could be i dont know .hour each side of the tide is when they have been on especially the high tide in the last week since the smaller tides came on.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:45 pm

what a day if you wanted to whale watch it was fantastic a good friend of the colunm brett emailed me this morning and out we went there were calves and mums everywhere ,my wife thought it was the best day ever,forget the fishing 3 hours of whale watching was excellent...they were wide of the hyubers light towards peel and east of green as well towards the artificial reef..photos to come
Attachments
IMG_0739_2012.jpg
IMG_0737_2010.jpg
20161002_082237.jpg
20161002_081353.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Glorious day on the water the whales are still in big numbers in the bay we saw baby and mum only a kilometer past the huybers light and then another two to the right of the start of the hope banks,and then this afternoon we saw at least 6 br=etween the small boat passage and green island.
the whiting are in excellent numbers at the start of the small boat channel and we managed 2 small schoolies on the way out this morning but two decent fish on the high tide comming home this afternoon ,the water was very murky so maybe tommorow or next nice calm day might be the go.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Another day and what a day little s/wester in the morning and then glass,the mackerel are not thick but if you have a go around an hour before the low in the morning it seems to be the best time picked up 5 really good quality schoolies this morning just wide of the huybers light towards the hope banks,but dont go to close to the banks they are before the trench..

then it was off to find the majestic whales and there they were eastern side of st helena towards the artificial reef and they were in a playful mood especially the young ones breaching,and tail slapping for hours it was a great site..i cant believe we have that many in the bay ..
Back to the fishing the whiting are a little small at the start of the small boat passage but there were lots of very large whiting where the rous meets the small boat channel ,and the sandcrabs are in amazing numbers also aroundgreen and st helena,hope the weather holds for everyone to get out for a fish on the week end..
on a happy note recieved a lovely email from a matt little who took hi nepher out and caught biggest fish he has ever caught a lovely school mackerel and as you can see by the photo one happy young man,thats what it is all about well done ewan may you catch many more which i am sure you will...
Attachments
SperoSchoolie.jpg

HarryT

Post by HarryT » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:22 pm

The weather was best I've seen it for a while...like glass at times. Went over to the four beacons at about lunchtime to also witness the whales playing, a mother and calf breaching and tale slapping. It took our minds off the lack of fish in the boat, not that there weren't any around, just couldn't get them in the boat!!! Got smashed by a school of something at one of the beacons,thinking maybe Cobia or kingfish...too big, too strong for my gear and me...4 x times! Saw a guy pull in a meter long kingie the other day. The mackeral were around today but not like Tuesday , you couldn't miss at the mile marker, literally schools of ten to fifteen. Happy fishing.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:13 am

its saturday morning and not a breath of air in the bay .looking down from manly hill you could have sworn somebody dropped a big bucket of oil on the water,the whales are everywhere again have had 3 reports this morning of a nice pod of 6 jumping and playing just of st helena and another on the way to the sandhills.hope they stay for a while in the bay it really is a great sight to see so close in.and what a great day for fishing.lets hope the winds the predicted stay away.

Lefty

Re: Report 07/10/16

Post by Lefty » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Spero
I have to admit, Friday was THE day for whales. It mattered not that we couldn't find the mackerel with those magnificent creatures swimming about. We tried to keep our distance but they kept swimming towards us and we had to move out of the way several times - especially when the big mommas started breaching and coming our way. I like to have big fish on the boat but that would just be ridiculous.
I have a couple of photos of you on your boat near St Helena with whales swimming past if you are interested.
We were the group on the c/c boat that stopped and chatted over near Hope Banks and you told us we had our lures down too deep for mackerel trolling.

Cheers
Pete

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:16 pm

hi pete yes that was a great day , would love the photos you can email them to me on sperok@ozemail.com.au.
great to have a chat the mackerel should be back on after this blow so just remmeber not to far back..thank you again and email me if i can try and help .
regards spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:57 am

A hit and miss week with a few hours here and there to get out for a fish,the whiting have been very good where the rous/small boat passage meet and the reports of excellent quality is comming from fishermans gutter as well.
the squid are nowhere to be seen around green and the rous but some nice ones were caught at peel island and the rainbow channel ,crabbing has taken off in a big way with many many pots all over the bay and especially between the rock wall and green and st helena islands and by how they tasted last week when a good friend dropped a couple off and the ammounts beeing caught could be a bumper season.
The schoolies took a little rest like us with the winds and big tides and the water was very dirty but if you put the time and effort in you were able to catch a feed judging by this fantastic shot sent to me by young Rowans dad , this is what makes young children fisherman for life and i have to say it bring a very big smile to my face as well,couple of these fish were caught just wide of harrys artificial reef and i also got a few reports of a few more caught towards the spoil ground north east of harrys.
Most of the whales seemed to have left the bay we did manage to see two mums and calves near peel island on sunday but nowhwere else ,looks like a bit of a blow for a couple of days and then some calm conditions if the weather predictions are correct.good fishing spero
Attachments
Spero.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:04 pm

The weather is at its best at the momment and if you wanted a few whiting fillets for dinner there is no reason not to go g=home with a bag,there were lots of boats catching them at wherethe small boat passage and the rous meet and also in fishermans gutter and the red and green at the start of the rous,we stopped at the start of the chain banks this morning the weed bank was not holding many at all and the fish that were there were small but once we decided to start at the chain banks with the incomming tide and drift south the whiting wete in fantastic numbers and quality the whiting master and his son brad had a good day with plenty of fish comming aboard,no mackerel action on the way out or in as the water colour and the huge tides are keeping them very quite,next week will be the time to start catching them again,the crabs are still in excellent numbers and thanks to our friend the crabber we will enjoy a feed tonight.for any questions or anything i can try and help with please email me on ....sperok@ozemail.com.au good fishing spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:49 pm

Good news found the little (not so little ) buggers,thats the school mackerel and very good quality and numbers at the drop off at the sandhills in front of the small sandhill at the floating yellow which marks the entrance to the blue hole.they were there at half tide yesterdsy afternoon and also this morning on the last of the outgoing .most paravaning but managed 4 on floating pillies in 18ft of water..i have to say the water is very clear on that side of the bay and lots of bait at the back of the boat at night in the spotlight and the mackerel actually had fish in ther stomachs.
the whiting were also in good numbers on the same side as the macj=kerel but in 8 to 12 ft of water and was quite supprised at the quality.
something new yesterday for me had not taken much bait out for whiting and decided to use some mackerel flesh from the bits left over after filleting and the whiting loved them ,so that becomes a cheaper way to catch some whiting next time.
Attachments
IMG_20161020_135737.jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:50 pm

The school mackerel have definately gone from the hyubers and the hope beacons ,had a troll today again with perfect tides and much cleaner water and not a touch,the are now on the e=western side of moreton island and the beacons in the shipping channels,so a chrome slug t=dropped to the bottom and quickly retrieved is an ec=xcellent way to get a few especially an hour either side of the hi or low tides,drifting past the beacons with a pilly is a good way to catch a few as well..the beacons worked quite well on the week end,.
The whiting are in fantastic numbers in the small boat passage towards the rous and also on the southern side of the small boat channel on the sand in 5 to 6 ft of water ,the quality was very good today and i also was told the whiting were also goos=d at the rous and fishermans gutter,no reason not to get a feed the wind came up early today ..spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:59 am

Good fishing days sat and sunday morning but i picked to go out friday and it was terrible north west 15 plus knots and then a northerly 15 plus knots ,never mind the school mackerel were good quality out of the small sandhill all along the dropp off past the floating yellow at the start of the blue hole.and some fish were also caught with the incomming tide at shark spit yellow.
the whiting were thick again at the go slow yellow at the big sandhill and also infrint of the small sandhill,closer to home the small boat passage on the banks towards peel are covered with excellent quality whiting as is the rous channel.
looks like a few good days in the middle of the week but i wont be out in melbourne cup week and the old girl is getting her annual bottom cleaned and polished,i suppose oceanographer is out topical tip for the cup .along with jameka,hartnell and my donkey bet is pentathlon...good luck and good fishing till next week.