10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 5/11/16

Post by sperok » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Sunday was a great day ,especially early in the morning the winds from the east north east kicked in pretty hard around lunch,took the old girl for her maiden run after the clean up and she travelled like new picked up and extra knot 9 with the tide and the wind low flying these days,(memmories of the 70 klm an hour with the cat well and trully gone).
The whiting again were in excellent numbers and quality on the banks on the southern side of the small boat channel in 3 to 5 ft of water and with not the greatest bait on board managed a bucket of fish,no squid to be seen,went to the entrance to the rous for lunch fresh caught crabs and had a troll on the way back thru the spoiled ground area and picked up two nice schoolies in 28ft of water,the water temp is really rising fast up to 73 degrees F today and lots of coral spawn,the spottys cant be far away,last year they came in around the 12th november ,so after this week of high winds and hot temperatures it might be a good time to start looking ,i have a feeling they will be on the western side this year as the bait is in big numbers ,school mackerel are also around most of the beacons in the shipping channel but times and tides is crucial,they are in good numbers when they are on but nothing for hours on end,patience is the key..and a bit of berley helps getting them on the bite.good fishing spero
Attachments
IMG_0837_2064 (2).jpg

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 pm

Nice day on the bay whiting master and doctor spock were in board today and whiting was the fish of choice ,they were not dissapointed lots of wonderful fish on the sandbanks on the southern side of the small boat channel and in the channel as well .lots of boats getting a lovely feed of fresh whiting.
Decided to have a troll on the way back from the entrance to the rous channel heading south west past the artificial reef and the schoolies were in good numbers but many small ones as well picked up 7 but only 4 were keepers and they were skinny fish as well but full of frog mouth pillies good sign for the spotties..they were in 23 to 31 ft depth.
as i mentioned a week back re black king swimming around a friends boat in 3 ft of water ,today i saw two swimming at dead low tide in 2 ft of water on the chain banks,so definetely worth a live bait or a pilly out when whiting fishing..
Weather noy looking to to good for a little while but then you never know we migh get a few hours in .

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Forgot to mention crabs are still in good numbers but be careful if washing your hands over the side of the boat was shown video today of some very large bull sharks around when crab pots are comming up and right next to the boats ,i mean very close to the boats..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:53 am

Nice day saturday for a fish and after recieving a few emails it was clear the school mackerel were on at the sandhills but not at harrys ,the whiting were in very good numbers again and it was good to see an old friend out there fishing after a little scare from the old heart a few months back.
looks like another good day sunday,and not a bad week comming up ..

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Well the weather held off a little this morning as i was dying to go out for some squire as the tides were perfect with a high at 6 am and the water temp has reached the magic 75 to 76 which is the perfect temp for the spottys to come in and there is good news on both fronts.
there were some really nice squire at green with the start of the outgoing tide managed one beautiful fish and dropped two but it was so much fun in 16 ft of water .
So of i went wide of green as i had seen a few turns flying high and there they were those big fat spotty mackerel females were smashing the bait,trolled over towards them and picked up two big schoolies and then managed two lovely big spottys with chrome slugs so it was worth reading the last couple of years blog as it is nearly the same week they came in last few years.i have to say the wind came up at 25 knots in such a hurry i had a very shitty trip all the way back but seeing those fish in the esky made it a great day.so its spotty mackerel time have fun everyone.
Attachments
IMG_0852_2077.jpg
IMG_0850_2075.jpg

LoudMouthedTwit

Post by LoudMouthedTwit » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:56 pm

That is very unfair and uncalled for jimjim.

I first started chasing macks this year in the bay after moving to Brisbane from NZ and really didnt have a clue. I tried pillys, lures and slugs all to no avail but I always lived in hope after reading speros posts.

Then one day I ran into spero off Wello and it all changed!! He showed me the rigs to use (paravanes) he showed me and told me where and being the wealth of information that he is (he truly is the macky master) he let it all be known through his posts.

Me and my cuzzy bros (kiwi saying lol) have never looked back since that lucky day. I used to fish by myself but found myself getting my bag limit too quickly so started taking my cuzz so we could take 20. We found that we started to have leftover fish after filling our freezers so started to make a bit of pocket money out of it. Now we go out and catch heaps, we use three boats and work together and load up one boat and send it back to the ramp, then do it all over again. In these tough times when we are all finding it hard to find work, the money we have made from speros info has proven invaluable. So I suggest yo shut up jimjim, spero can tell whoever he wants whatever he wants, I for one am very thankful for it.

Boet

Post by Boet » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:51 am

LoudMouthedTwit, You are breaking the law in more ways than one as per Qld's fishing regulations. As per the extract from the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, your possession limit includes what is in the freezer at home, in the car and is not an on boat or daily take limit. It is also illegal to sell fish unless you have a commercial license.

Personally I only take what I can eat fresh as this is the best way to enjoy the fish, means "I have to" go fishing again when I want another feed and helps ensure the fishing stays as good as it is for everybody.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/re ... mits-tidal
"...A possession limit refers to the total number of fish an individual can legally take and have in their possession at any one time - it does not apply on a per day basis. This includes the fish you have caught previously that are in your freezer at home. These limits serve several purposes..."

stanau

Post by stanau » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:51 am

Spotty time yarhoo keep those reports coming I read them all and thanks Cheers stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:53 pm

I did not want to get into this conversation but all i am trying to do is help a few fishermen try and catch a feed of fish, who can only go out every blue moon. As for selling fish without a commercial licence, its totally the wrong thing to do. Our pro fishermen spend lots of money on licences and put up with all the crappy weather to make a living.
So please catch a feed just for your family and a couple of friends, and enjoy the bay.

Rochey79

Post by Rochey79 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:50 pm

Nicely said Spero. People shouldn't be on this forum if they can't appreciate someone trying to help them catch more fish!

LukeJ

Post by LukeJ » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:45 am

LoudMouthedTwit wrote:That is very unfair and uncalled for jimjim.

I first started chasing macks this year in the bay after moving to Brisbane from NZ and really didnt have a clue. I tried pillys, lures and slugs all to no avail but I always lived in hope after reading speros posts.

Then one day I ran into spero off Wello and it all changed!! He showed me the rigs to use (paravanes) he showed me and told me where and being the wealth of information that he is (he truly is the macky master) he let it all be known through his posts.

Me and my cuzzy bros (kiwi saying lol) have never looked back since that lucky day. I used to fish by myself but found myself getting my bag limit too quickly so started taking my cuzz so we could take 20. We found that we started to have leftover fish after filling our freezers so started to make a bit of pocket money out of it. Now we go out and catch heaps, we use three boats and work together and load up one boat and send it back to the ramp, then do it all over again. In these tough times when we are all finding it hard to find work, the money we have made from speros info has proven invaluable. So I suggest yo shut up jimjim, spero can tell whoever he wants whatever he wants, I for one am very thankful for it.

Mate, what you describe is highly illegal - not to mention incredibly unethical. The smart thing to do would be to remove this little brag post, give your apologies to everyone for profiteering from illicit actions and NEVER do what you have described again. The penalties are very serious.

To the page administration: you have the power (and consistently exercise this power) to ban people for their criticism of unethical take home practices (I love Sperok's reports, but I too strongly question how many fish are taken rather than released - although I respect his right to. Each to their own, as long as it is legal). You should, at very least, ban this user (LoudMouthedTwit) and report his information (if available) to the appropriate authorities for his blatant lack of respect for the laws of our state.

These forums, whilst dated, are excellent for people who are new to an area (I'm new to Brisbane, so I really appreciate people's generosity when it comes to their knowledge). They shouldn't become brag-fests, monologues for egotistical fisherman or places of intense criticism. Let Sperok write his posts. Unless you have something constructive to add, or you would like to show gratitude, please don't post. It is starting to look like a YouTube comment field...

(Yes, I do realise the irony of asking people not to post via a post - please don't point it out)

Imagine how nice it would be if everyone was as friendly as Sperok is out on the water? If everyone shared their well-informed knowledge with those more ignorant fisherman (not an insult, just correct use of language), less people would put the fish down with their boats, more fish would be released, more people would catch fish and more people would go home smiling with great memories of a fun day on the water.

Caranx Ignobilis

Post by Caranx Ignobilis » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:48 am

I just want to say thank you to Sperok for the info you have shared.

This info has enabled me over the past summer to get all 3 of my sons, all under 11 years old hooked up on fish and hooked on fishing. For that I am truly greatful.

I follow your reports on a weekly basis (even though after this I would say they will become a little less frequent after all I would not appreciate the bagging for offering people help to catch a fish or two). So keep them coming and try to remember. For every DH out there having a whinge, there is plenty of us that appreciate the help and use the info well within legal and ethical standards.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Sometimes you need to be at the right place at the right time and thats what happened on sunday and today for those looking for the spotties and schoolies on the western part of the bay the water was so dirty they did not surface hardly at all ,and yet at the sandhills and sharkspit the schoolies were thick especially with the outgoung tide in the afternoon , and a couple of nice spotties were caught as well,so i think while the water is this colour on this side of the bay the long trip over to the western side of moreton might be the go ,some nice schoolies were also caught on hard body lures in the rainbow on sunday as well.so they are there but sometimes its hard to be in all the places at the same time.

ECM_hard_core_fishos

Post by ECM_hard_core_fishos » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 am

Keep the reports coming Spero there is always going to be danglers (like me 65+hours work a week) that dont have the time to go out and find the fish and reading your reports put me straight on to them. Although i dont agree with the amount and frequency of fish taken at times its people like spero that helps people like me get my 5kg of fillets.

Thankyou

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Been asked many times from fisherman if certain winds make a difference for fishing and in my oppinnion i dont think winds make a difference ,for me it comes down to where and what i want to fish for and depending on the strengh of the wind is what makes a difference.
I find it hard to fish with the tide against the wind especially if the wind is stronger for reef fishing ,and the wind does not allow you to sit in line with a structure or a certain dropoff you like especially around the shallow reefs of the bay islands ,thats one of the reasons i like the sout easter with a outgoing tide .for squire and snapper.and obviously the north easter wth an incomming ,but my favourite is an ougoing tide.
Ther rest of the fishing it really comes down to what is comfortable for you and the family most of our wives prefer the calm conditions ,and the kids just want dad to go faster so they can jump the waves but for fishing for me the calmer the better,i dont find the fish stop bitting because of the direction of the wind.
i think when this water clears and the water temp jumps back up a few degrees the spottys will be out to play again,a few came up for very short times and i think they are finding hard to find the bait ,all the birds and the small black mutton birds were all heading north and towards the western side of moreton which is a good indication where the bait and the feeding fish might be,so hang in there the water will clear and the mackerel will be up again soon.