Water Tower Bait & Tackle
10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
vsea

Re: Report 12/12/16

Post by vsea » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:54 pm

hi dennis herehave a couple of days off and thinking about chasing a few scales my self. were the sweetys any size?

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:34 pm

Decided to go to see where all these spottys were but all i can say thank heavens the whiting were in the small boat channel because when i saw the colour of the water even with the last of the incomming tide it was mud,and with these big tides and the last weeks winds i think the spottys wont be up till next week when the tides are smaller and a week of settled weather.and the water temp goes back up.
The whiting were in very good numbers on the southern side of the small boat channel so diinner was done ,and then went for a troll around harrys to the start of the rous channel and managed 3 schoolies only one was over 50 the others must have know n the limmit as they were both 46 cm ..
A word of caution to boaties out with the kids this holiday season for whatever reason this time of year the dreaded stone fish decide to come to the surface and float and move with the tides ,and knowing how my grandchildren were when they were young all they wanted to do was net everything that went past the boat,so be careful when the little ones are playing or netting floating stuff around green st helena and mud and king island as these buggers are floating all over the place..
Attachments
IMG_0860_2083.jpg
IMG_0859_2082.jpg
IMG_0857_2081.jpg
IMG_0856_2080.jpg
IMG_0855_2079.jpg

Chu

Post by Chu » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:26 pm

What a pleasant morning to be out on the water. I saw the forecast for light winds so I decided to head out to Scarborough reef on first light and was surprised to find I was the first one out there. Within 10 mins another boat turn up and to my "surprise" (read...annoyance) he pulled up and anchored about 20m from my boat. The whole area was empty and he had to do that! Anyway, I politely told him to allow a bit more space so that if the boat swings around, our lines won't tangle up. I think he got the hint and drifted out another 30m.

Quite pleased with the action over the 4 hrs that I was out there. A lot of undersized fish, but managed to get enough for a few days eating. The 2 exciting moments was trying to land a 1m catfish and a legal sized mulloway. The mulloway was a very pleasant surprise as it took a small half of a herring. I was hoping for a bream or a small snapper.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:15 am

Nice couple of days on the bay the winds eased nothing to report on the spotty mackerel did not see a thing on the way to the whiting grounds and the reports i recieved from a couple of readers re tangalooma and shipping channels was lots of bonnito and nothing else,the water in the southern bay i must say supprised me to see how clean it was but it is still only 74 degrees so it has dropped a few degrees since the spottys were up last time,hopefully these hot days might g et it back up to 76 plus.one good sign was plenty of bait showin up 20 ft down so when they become active again there will be plenty of bait to ball up.
The whiting were in very good numbers in the start of the small boat passage with lots of boats getting there fish ,they were actually on both sides of the gutter on the drop off of the chain banks with the comming in tide and on the shallows on the peel island side with the outgoing.
Lets hope we get some settled weather over the holiday period to enjoy the bay,merry xmas to you all and hope to catch up out in the bay.

Chu

Post by Chu » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:17 pm

Went for a bout of night fishing off Scarborough reef last night. First time for me heading out at about 10pm. Normally, if I were to go in the evening, I would head out at about 5pm and fish the sunset. I had a friend who was leaving back to Melb today and it was his last opportunity. So when the wind dropped at about 7pm, we made a quick decision to try our luck. Within 10 mins there, we hooked up a 1.2m gummy which took us a good 10 mins to land. The darkness made it a bit more challenging. It took a whole mullet on a wire trace.

After about 1.5 hr, we anchored up and headed home as the wind started to become gusty and it got uncomfortable out there. Overall an interesting experience, but I think I will stay with my normal routine which is mainly out on the water during daylight hours.

Chu

Post by Chu » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Did a 3 hr trip early this morning off Scarborough reef....caught a couple of just legal size snappers and breams. Tried to chase a school of fish that was causing a bunch of seagulls to dive into the water at Deception bay near the Scarborough marina, but could not get close as they were moving around quite quickly.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:52 pm

The water conditions were not that bad today with many hundreds of boats out,we started trolling just out from green on the way to the small boat channel for whiting ,with the incomming tide stayed to the south of the hope banks and picked up 2 schoolies just on the 50 cm mark but no action on the surface and no tum=na or spotties at all,the whiting were in very good numbers in the small boat channel of the dropp of at the chain banks and also on the southern side on the shallows .
a good friend of the blog came past to say hi and glad to finally meet Ryan face to face who told me picked up a nice squire at green island before comming out for whiting,
Lots of readers went to the sandhills and wide of tangalloma and a few reo=ports came in with schoolies beeing caught wide of the small sandhill and a few spottys thrown in as well,our past champion swimmer cant wait for the spottys to get back to the surface,but at least he caught one today and some schoolies as well,he also reported lots of bonnito in the area so the signs are good as thats where the bait is.
The water temp finally hit the magic 76 degree mark so i d really expect the spottys to show up in this comming week ,a couple of glassed out days would help but the forcast does not sound as exciting as it sounded a few days ago...
Going out for a look again tommorow.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:32 pm

Good news for spotty fisherman they came up for a feed east of mud island a few hours ago ..lets all hope the weather holds yippeeeee.....

Desi

Post by Desi » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

First Post:

Heading out early tomorrow morning from Wynnum. Fingers crossed the reports remain positive and I find a few for dinner.

Can I ask what people are using (method) to get their spotties? I'm intending to dart up to four-beacons via Harry's. Any guidance on location appreciated.

Cheers

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:39 pm

sorry des just got your post lots of bonnito around today and did not see any spottys on the surface except for a school of 4 fish swimming past east of st helena towards harrys.managed 2 very large spottys at the entrance to the blue hole infront of the small sandhill at moreton today in 23 ft of water north of the floating yellow.
its howling this afternoon from the north not much fun at all lets hope saturday is good in the morning but seems they are comming to feed on the outgoing tides in the afternoon when the damn wind gets up.