10 Ernest St, Manly
Ph: (07) 3396 1833
www.watertowerbaitandtackle.com

Spero: sperok@ozemail.com.au
Nicole Penfold
Admin

Report 30/1/17

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:48 pm

What a week on the water,good friends good weather and plenty of fish.as you have seen reports are disappearing and the problem is being sorted ,for those who caught the broad mackerel report and went and got some I am so thrilled for you ,and the same for the spotties.
We went out with Nicole from fishing monthly and hubby Dave on Friday the weather was not ideal for mackerel and it proved correctly many babies and nearly one keeper so whiting and squid became the items for the menu,and we were not disappointed plenty of whiting. We had plenty of doubles but Nicole could not do it does not matter how hard she tried,we stopped at the little deep hole in the small boat channel and again we were happy as the squid came up and it was Nicole first ever squid,good thing come to those who wait,great day had by all ..(hot lamb rolls with gravy were not bad either).
Saturday my wife decide with the calm conditions to see if the school and broad mackerel and reef fish were around heading to peel (lazaret) again we were not disapointed the schoolies were in excellent numbers on both the first and second green of the maroon banks and the second green heading to the hanlon light produced monster broad mackerel .
and the sweet lip and squire were there but not big fish managed a couple of keepers of each and then the dolphin family arrived with baby in tow for 4 hours so dolphin feeding and watching ended a great day.
Sunday the spotties finally showed there head in front of the Sandhills in 70 to 80 ft depth and good fish were caught,went out Monday in the morning on the incoming tide and lots of lovely fish everywhere,with a few hammerheads and bronze whalers eating bait as well.a few of our readers were there as well and were catching some lovely spotties.
for anyone having a hard time knowing how far back to have your paravanes Berkley make a very good and simple line counter which I will submit a photo of ..and a good shot of the bait ball next to the boat..good fishing looks like a not bad week .
Attachments
IMG_20170128_131115.jpg
IMG_20170128_105331.jpg
IMG_20170128_105229.jpg
IMG_0915_2123.jpg
IMG_0907_2121.jpg
IMG_0905_2119.jpg
IMG_0891_2115.jpg
IMG_0904_2118.jpg
IMG_0902_2116.jpg
Last edited by Nicole Penfold on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

sperok
Reporter

Re: Report 30/1/17

Post by sperok » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:14 pm

firstly the photos from the previous post are comming .secondly i would like to say thank you to nicole and fishing monthly magazine for publishing a feature on spotty mackerel fishing in moreton bay,
i have to say i am stoked to fishing monthly have done this and very proud to have it in the magazine.
i hope it helps fisherman catch a spotty or two.
thank you
spero

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Ahh some days just were not meant to be ,decided on three days on the bay with the weather predictions looking very good ,so packed the boat to the hilt with food and ice and bait and of we went ,decided on a feed of whiting on the way and then decide depending on the wind direction if we were going spotty chasing at the sandhills or reef fishing and squiding at peel,
The whiting in the small boat channel were thick as they have been in the last 4 to 5 weeks and my new black magig rigs(as discussed in the current fishing monthly magazine) worked a treat ,with the northerly blowing it was a little to choppy and a swell running to drift for my wife so we anchored and picked up 40 whiting in an hour,the bite slowed a little so decided to move a few feet from where we were.....well i had no motion at all the shaft had gone back a couple of inches and the keyway had fallen out,there a good way to dampen the 3 day sojourn.
Well the great thing was i had decided to join the coastguard brisbane marine assist when it first started operating and it was such a reassuring to be a member,rang spoke to steve and rang back with info as there was no one locally to come get us but raby bay were available and they came and towed us back to east coast ,felt like we were on a sail boat no noise and flying along at 8 knots.so back into harbour and home for the night but i would like to express our sincere thanks to the coast guard and would suggest to all who are not members to join you never know when you will need them and for the price its worth its weight in gold..so no fishing till the boat is fixed ,but i would look for spottys between the rous entrance to the sandhills on top of the tide and the broads in front of the lazaret at the last of the incomming tide as well around the green on the drop off..
Attachments
IMG_20170203_135953.jpg

Chu

Post by Chu » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 pm

The calm waters around Scarborough reef this morning makes one feel so lucky to be out there early in the morning. The fishing started very slowly with the bait hardly touched for the first hour. Then as if someone rang the breakfast bell, the bites started with a nice sized sweetlips at about 55cm. Then a few tackle failure caused the loss of a couple of nice sized fish including a gummy shark that did a spectacular jump out of the water. I normally use 30lb mono to tie up my hooks as I feel that I get a better hook up rate then say a 60lb. The down side is when the line breaks, the thoughts of....if only.....

Anyway, with a few nice fish in the esky, I decided to get out of the heat by 9.30am.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:17 pm

some nice spottys showed up in a line from the silos between mud and sthelena to the sandhills in 70 to 80ft depth and lots of bonito wide of tangalooma.
also some nice schoolies on the first green sothe east of the hope banks.
lots of whiting at the small boat channel and squid in the weed banks chasing the whiting as they were being caught..
recieved some great photos of some nice fish caught in front of the lazaret ,hope to post on monday,

Flattyfisho

Post by Flattyfisho » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:22 am

No good about the boat Spero, iam wondering how iam now going to catch fish now without your first hand reports.

Flattyfisho

Post by Flattyfisho » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:25 pm

Flattyfisho wrote:No good about the boat Spero, iam wondering how iam now going to catch fish now without your first hand reports.
Wow i finally did it after all this time, got a good size mackerel (monster broad) out the front of the lazeret gutter(delta board 3inch smiths jig) just as you said. I looked to the heavens clenched my butt cheeks and let out a massive Sppeerrrooooo whilst shadow boxing uppercuts. I now no how Kelvin must have felt last week what a ripper day.

Whilst your boat is being fixed your more then welcome to come with me i have a quinnie 420 renegade with etec 30hp (best trailer boat made) my shout buddy :D

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:02 pm

I know the boat is broken but i have to say emails like these makes it all worth while and makes an old man very happy and when you see a couple of photos of kelvins little ones holding a schoolie and the broad (bigger then him) it will put a smile on your face like mine,well done i am really very happy for you ,sitting at the back of westray watching all the boats go fishing(MMMMM)
and thank so much for the offer if the old girl does not get fixed soon i might have to take you up on the offer,,,thank you and enjoy on the bbq and dont forget the back frame is fantastic(just like eating a flounder)..

kmcrosby78

Post by kmcrosby78 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm

Flattyfisho wrote:
Flattyfisho wrote: I looked to the heavens clenched my butt cheeks and let out a massive Sppeerrrooooo whilst shadow boxing uppercuts. I now no how Kelvin must have felt last week what a ripper day.
Haha, I did the same thing when I caught mine ....... (well, apart from the butt clenching ...... I think ...... :? ). I had a quick troll yesterday arvo around the high tide but could only find bait. Oh well, that's fishing.

Nicole Penfold
Admin

Post by Nicole Penfold » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:59 am

Kelvin with sons liam and george after a good fish last week in front of the lazaret. the broad is as big as george and you cant beat those smiles on the boys faces. That's whats fishing all about.
Attachments
Jan 29 2017 (1024x768).jpg
Grey Mack George Jan 2017 (768x1024).jpg

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Just got back from a frustrating morning trying to find the spotty mackerel.
We left from Wello Point about 5:30am and headed for the area between St Helena and the Sandhills on Moreton to do a troll with a couple of spoons behind paravanes.
For those readers who were wondering, we did stop short of the green zone MNP14
Nothing showing on the sounder all the way and no hits on the spoons.
We then went up to the shipping channel north of Mud Is and trolled nearly all the way to the four beacons, stopping a couple of times to fling lures at some very small schools of tuna. They weren't buying what we were selling and getting close enough for a cast was difficult as it nearly always is with tuna.
We then trolled all the way to the Sandhills without a hit. We did not see one spotty slashing the surface all morning. The birds were rafted up in big groups here and there and we tried drifting around with them to see if they might eventually take off and lead us to the fish (this has worked well for us in the past) but they just floated about and repositioned every once in a while.
There were lots of small bait schools dotted about the place but nothing big enough to attract and hold a lot of bigger fish. The big bait schools we saw about a week ago seem to have broken up - at least in this part of the bay.
The predicted wind change started to come through about lunch time so we headed for home with our heads down. Maybe we should have tried Peel Island?
That, as they say, is fishing - Incesant expectation followed by perpetual disappointment ( I read that somewhere)
Oh well, there's always next time.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:20 am

Just a suggestion for anyone trolling spoons from one area to another,unless you can see or know the spottys are in an area in deep water its nearly a waste of time trolling for that ammount of time and distance,the best thing to do is eg if you are going from the beacons back to the sandhills is get closer to shore and and troll on the drop off all the way back to where you are gong ,as there are plenty of schoolies in the 20 to 35 ft depth and the spottys are sometimes with them ,because you will hardly ever get a schoolie in the deep water. the spottys are hit and miss as it was last week when one day they were everywhere and the next day not one to be seen ,the water temp has jumped up to 80 plus so i dont think they will be up till a few degree drop ,this south easterly might do the trick before the 37 plus week end arrives its one of those frustrating seasons as the bait is there and the birds are there because the fish are there its a matter of everything getting on the same page to get a few,,but its good fun trying.

stanau

Post by stanau » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:26 am

Hi I went prawning on 6-2-17 at the deep hole at the n/e end of Karragarra island all up I got 3kg of small to medium banana prawns back at boat ramp at 10am too hot to prawn low tide. Easy prawning stanau

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Really nice day on the bay and my best mate is back from his around the world cruise with the wife (whiting master) and he thought he lost his skills but after a few minutes he was back into it so he was very happy to take two lovely bags of whiting fillets home after eating frozen mahi mahi for a month,and to make it even better a couple of nice schoolies as well,caught past the hope banks this morning on the incomming tide.
This afternoon the water was terrible and with the big tides the water comming of the hope banks was brown i think the chances of any spottys south of harrys would be a miracle,the best chances will be wide of the sandhills in the 70 to 100 ft depth especially around the high tide mark on sat and sunday.

sperok
Reporter

Post by sperok » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Oh what a week end on the water,started well with plenty of whiting at the small boat passage and there were lots further up at the entrance to the rous with very large squid as well and a few schoolies chopping whiting in half as they came up ,and we managed a few schoolies going around the last green opposite the lazaret but no broads the water was not the cleanest and the tides were huge so next week with the smaller tides and cooler temp will do the trick that goes for the spottys as well.
Saturday afternoon it started to howl and blew it head of all afternoon and all night , came back this morning in terrible conditions with the biggest seas i have seen in the bay in quite some while and by the forcast we will need to wait till the end of the week again,it will give me a chance to recuperate after the dear old winch broke down and had to pull up 50 meters of chain in 25 knots of northerly ,oh what fun.....