Coucom's Crabpots & Fishing Gear
Ground Floor 34 Normanby Street Yeppoon, 4703
Ph: 07 4930 2301
Brad
Reporter

Weekly Report 5 Jun 10

Post by Brad » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:47 pm

OFFSHORE
Even though the weather was good the fishing was tough. There was the odd fish being caught but we saw a lot more fish than we caught! Some good shows of fish on the sounder did not transfer into fish in the esky very disappointing that but hey what can ya do? Some big mackerel chasing wolf herring that in turn were after flying fish it was all happening but still not the normal feeding frenzy that you like to see when chasing macks. Of cause we put it down to the westerly wind!! It makes for a top day on the water but light SE fishes better, there's always next week. And with the amount of bait in the bay a present the fish are going nowhere.

AWOONGA DAM
Very tough at the moment but that will be the same throughout the winter so unless things warm up and that's not going to happen, keep on casting and fish the middle of the day in the shallows or put the sounder to good use and find some warmer water that's your best chance...

CANIA DAM
Cania dam has been doing it a bit tough lately. After the good rains a while back the level rose to about as high as I've ever seen it and it looked just absolutely beautiful. You could go up to the timber and keep going a long long way and it's pretty all the way. The worrying thing about having big influxes of water is the threat of the dam rolling. This is when the bad water down the bottom changes places with the good water on the top and eats all the oxygen hence anything in the way dies. Unfortunately there have been two fish kills since the Family Fishing Comp back in March. The second was only last month and the dam is still recovering. The fishing has been really quiet. The odd fish is being caught but way up in the timber where maybe there is a bit more shelter and shallower water. Another event happening at the moment is at the end of May the gates were opened and a slow release is happening for the next 50 days. This will drop the level back to about 20 percent or so. If it's not one thing it's another.

FITZROY RIVER
It will be tough for another set of tides so on the next set of neap tides try the river for bream, grunter, salmon, but on the bright side there are still a heap of crabs being caught. So give them a go while they're going.

CORIO BAY
Really starting to ramp up now the flathead are in and look like being in good numbers with a report of a big female caught 1050mm released, good to see. With the big girls turning up early look for the bream to come on as well and to top it off there have been some good grunter caught there as well on the top of the tide at the centre rocks, and the queenfish which are at the mouth of deep creek have been giving the herring a bashing for a week or so. Try the new small poppers and have a ball.

COOROOMAN CREEK
Reports have been quiet but with Corio fishing so well I can't believe that Coorooman would be any different look for all the same species as well as steel back salmon and another fish which turns up this time of year is the Wiretooth. Believe me when you catch one you will know it as it looks like a saber tooth whiting and go pretty good on the bbq as well.

PORT ALMA
Crabs still the best shot but this time of year you will also catch jew. Big fellows to up to 50 lb the other place to look for them apart from the Jew hole on the way to Connors Rock is at Keppel Rocks they will school up so when you catch them remember you now have bag limits of 2 per person, and best not to keep catching them as they recover very poorly even if caught in shallow water.

CAUSEWAY LAKE
Wade out in front of the dressing sheds and fish for flathead they will be there no worries, and that's the best option on a cold day flathead are a sucker for a well presented soft plastic. And the new Castaics are perfect for the job.

BEDFORD WEIR BLACKWATER
No reports but I'm guessing its cold out there and unless there are few yellowbelly kicking around its all shut down for the winter.

CHARTER BOATS - KONOMIE DREAMING AND SPIRIT
The boy's from Emerald were taken on a Popping trip by Dave from the shop and Graham the self proclaimed GT fishing madman. They had a ball with the smallest GT caught being a 950mm model and some big Queenfish as well all in all they had one of the best trips on poppers so far ever. The bite was on all morning and the boy's were nursing some very sore shoulders buy the time the boat was turned for home. See in store for Gt footage.

UPCOMING FISHING COMPS
Tight lines fishing comp Keppel Bay check out the website for details http://www.tightlines.com.au
BIG news for this years BarraBounty, this year will be the biggest with some great prizes up for grabs and some rule changes as well eg. No bait section at last I hear you say. This year will be the biggest and best on record and I can't wait. Some of the prizes will include Shimano/ Daiwa/Humminbird/ Minn Kota/Abu/ Tropical Ice Boxes/ Eva Kool/ Sunline / Lucky Craft and Loomis as well as a boat, motor and trailer package up for grabs as well like I said this year will be bigger and better than before so stay tuned and don't miss out.